Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 103
Thanks Tree26Thanks

Thread: What do atheists think of deists?

  1. #41
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,604
    Thanks
    17269

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by StanStill View Post
    First of all, you keep talking like "Deists" are some kind of religion that exists in the current day, like Unitarians or Presbyterians.
    No I don't. I think deism is a thology, not unlike theism, and atheism. None of those are organised religious movements. They are theological positions.

    Theism - Believe in a personal, involved Creator
    Deism - Believe in a non-personal, uninvolved Creator
    Atheism - posit that there is no creator.


    I don't understand why my view of each would be so offensive to so many.

  2. #42
    Veteran Member Dr.Knuckles's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    98,423
    Thanks
    5216

    From
    Vancouver
    I don’t understand this.

    I really don’t.

    Ask yourself, what do you think of Hindus. What do you think of Buddhists? What do you think of Aboriginal spiritual beliefs? Hawaiian spirits? Shinto temples? Egyptian cats?


    They believe in things that you don’t. What do you think of them?

    That’s exactly what atheists also think of them. Exactly, 100% the same. They just add one more into the same group of religions they don’t believe in.
    Last edited by Dr.Knuckles; 8th November 2017 at 07:21 PM.
    Thanks from NeoVsMatrix

  3. #43
    quichierbichen
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    61,241
    Thanks
    33101

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    No I don't. I think deism is a thology, not unlike theism, and atheism. None of those are organised religious movements. They are theological positions.

    Theism - Believe in a personal, involved Creator
    Deism - Believe in a non-personal, uninvolved Creator
    Atheism - posit that there is no creator.


    I don't understand why my view of each would be so offensive to so many.
    It might be offensive to the Creator, but that's no skin off anyone else's nose. But there are atheists who are inexplicably offended by any sort of theism, too.

  4. #44
    quichierbichen
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    61,241
    Thanks
    33101

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Knuckles View Post
    What do you think of Buddhists?
    Some sorts of Buddhism are theistic. Others aren't.

  5. #45
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,604
    Thanks
    17269

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasselas View Post
    It might be offensive to the Creator, but that's no skin off anyone else's nose. But there are atheists who are inexplicably offended by any sort of theism, too.
    I dunno, I have two people insisting that I am being unfair to deism by expressing my understanding of the theology, as it is described by most sources.

  6. #46
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    32,812
    Thanks
    30345

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    So your concept of deity is...?
    The all.

  7. #47
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    32,812
    Thanks
    30345

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    I dunno, I have two people insisting that I am being unfair to deism by expressing my understanding of the theology, as it is described by most sources.
    Deists are individuals. There is no Church of Deism. There is no universal doctrine. Deists think for themselves.

  8. #48
    quichierbichen
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    61,241
    Thanks
    33101

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    Deists are individuals. There is no Church of Deism. There is no universal doctrine. Deists think for themselves.
    But as such, it has no real definition, does it. I mean, I can believe nearly anything and then call myself a deist, just as I can eat beef tonight and then call myself a vegetarian.
    Thanks from Czernobog

  9. #49
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,604
    Thanks
    17269

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    The all.
    Well, that's adorably vague. "The all" what?

  10. #50
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,604
    Thanks
    17269

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasselas View Post
    But as such, it has no real definition, does it. I mean, I can believe nearly anything and then call myself a deist, just as I can eat beef tonight and then call myself a vegetarian.
    Apparently. God is broccoli. Am I a deist? More importantly, it renders the term deist meaningless. After all, what he seems to be saying is that deism just means whatever the fuck you want it to mean.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. For the atheists of the board
    By BDBoop in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 169
    Last Post: 27th July 2014, 01:10 PM
  2. Atheists are bad
    By meridian5455 in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 107
    Last Post: 20th November 2013, 12:25 AM
  3. Atheists Can Sue
    By Loki in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 225
    Last Post: 10th September 2013, 06:22 AM
  4. Atheists not allowed
    By Seraphima in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 5th March 2011, 01:23 PM
  5. Atheists will never understand...
    By conservative in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 26th October 2006, 04:30 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed