Members banned from this thread: zaangalewa


Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 281
Thanks Tree57Thanks

Thread: Is the Bible the inerrent word of God?

  1. #31
    Bizarroland Observer Thx1138's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    21,397
    Thanks
    12556

    From
    aMEEErica
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Probably because Hindus, Buddhists, Jews, &c., do not bother him with attempting to impose their religious beliefs on other people.
    I see, so his points are all "payback" are they...?

    Hard to have an unbiased thread when you are bent on "revenge."

    Wouldn't you say?

    Thx

  2. #32
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,901
    Thanks
    17389

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Therein lies the problem.

    The Bible is very unclear on many things.

    Did Moses really part the sea or is it a metaphor for something else but yes it happened.

    Because we may misinterpret things in the Bible does not make it untrue.

    Take the talking donkey for instance.

    Was the donkey really talking (doubt it) or was it a man going mad and God showing him a point in his own mind (probably).
    Hmmm. And who gets to be the arbiter of what is literal, and what is not. And you can't say "The Holy Spirit". After all there are currently some 3,000 different denominations, all based on different interpretations of various passages of the Bible. Every one of them insists that their "interpretation" is the accurate one as "revealed" by the Holy Spirit. Well, unless the Holy Spirit is schizophrenic that cannot possibly be true.

    So, the question remains who gets to be the arbiter of the "proper" interpretation of the Bible, and when it is metaphoric, and when it is literal?

  3. #33
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,901
    Thanks
    17389

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Thx1138 View Post
    I see, so his points are all "payback" are they...?

    Hard to have an unbiased thread when you are bent on "revenge."

    Wouldn't you say?

    Thx
    See, you call it revenge, I call it opposition. I'm sorry that we atheists are not just sitting back, and letting you have free reign to poison people's minds any more. Actually I'm not sorry. You guys have had 2,000 to bring about your "Kingdom of Heaven". How's that worked out for ya?

    It's time to step aside, and let reason, and logic see if we can't do a better job. So, yeah. I'm going to keep pointing out the irrational, illogical nature of theism, giving every person who has been brainwashed by this wilful denial of reason has had a chance to learn there is an alternative.
    Last edited by Czernobog; 17th November 2017 at 09:04 AM.

  4. #34
    Bizarroland Observer Thx1138's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    21,397
    Thanks
    12556

    From
    aMEEErica
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    See, you call it revenge, I call it opposition. I'm sorry that we atheists are not just sitting back, and letting you have free reign to poison people's minds any more. Actually I'm not sorry. You guys have had 2,000 to bring about your "Kingdom of Heaven". How's that worked out for ya?

    It's ime to step aside, and let reason, and logic see if we can't do a better nob.
    But, but, but, what about Jews, what about Hindus, is their spirituality more "logical"?

    Well, at least you admit that you specifically target Christians and exclude all others.

    I don't appreciate pushy religious if that's what's eating you here, but it has certainly revealed your bias...

    Same kind of irrational, unreasonable dogma of the pushy religious.

    And I'm not sorry for calling it out for what it is.

    Thx

  5. #35
    Master political analyst Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,600
    Thanks
    4874

    From
    The formerly great golden state
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    So you think God was sitting around having people write a book for Him and saying, "No Damnit, don't tell it like that, that's not what I meant!"

    lol

    He can create the universe and life but can't make a few simple humans write down some text how He wants them to?
    No.

    I don't think god or the gods, if there really are such, had anything at all to do with writing the Bible. I think humans who had the resources to be literate at a time when most were illiterate wrote the Bible.

  6. #36
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,901
    Thanks
    17389

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Thx1138 View Post
    But, but, but, what about Jews, what about Hindus, is their spirituality more "logical"?

    Well, at least you admit that you specifically target Christians and exclude all others.

    I don't appreciate pushy religious if that's what's eating you here, but it has certainly revealed your bias...

    Same kind of irrational, unreasonable dogma of the pushy religious.

    And I'm not sorry for calling it out for what it is.

    Thx
    Hindus aren't really a problem in my country. I know that there are atheists in India pointing out all of the harm Hindu is doing there. Jews also aren't really a problem. I've actually been learning, recently, that Jews are less of a problem than I thought. It turns out that that Jews are more interesting in actions than in belief. This is, apparently, why Jews don't go around pushing God at everyone, like Christians an Muslims.Because they are more interested in how people act, than what they believe. Christioans, on the other hand are all about what people believe. "Believe what we do, or we will pass laws to make you cat like you do," "Believe what we do, or we will harass, and persecute you, until you do," "Believe what we do, or else..." I will oppose this so long as it continues to exist. Now, I don't really go after Muslims too much either. The reason for that is I'm not familiar enough with the Q'uran to engage intelligently in opposition to Islam. That's okay, because there are other atheists out there who are familiar enough with that religion to do that. I leave it to them, and just throw out the occasional barb.

    Christianity, on the other hand, I am very familiar with. I spent time in a Christian Seminary, so I do know the Bible well enough to engage there. So, that is me doing my part to expose theism for the sham that it is.
    Last edited by Czernobog; 17th November 2017 at 09:22 AM.

  7. #37
    Master political analyst Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,600
    Thanks
    4874

    From
    The formerly great golden state
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Therein lies the problem.

    The Bible is very unclear on many things.

    Did Moses really part the sea or is it a metaphor for something else but yes it happened.

    Because we may misinterpret things in the Bible does not make it untrue.

    Take the talking donkey for instance.

    Was the donkey really talking (doubt it) or was it a man going mad and God showing him a point in his own mind (probably).
    Are we to believe that the fox who went off muttering about sour grapes was a real talking fox?
    Or, is that non Biblical fable simply an allegory about rationalization?

  8. #38
    Bizarroland Observer Thx1138's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    21,397
    Thanks
    12556

    From
    aMEEErica
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    Hindus aren't really a problem in my country. I know that there are atheists in India pointing out all of the harm Hindu is doing there. Jews also aren't really a problem. I've actually been learning, recently, that Jews are less of a problem than I thought. It turns out that that Jews are more interesting in actions than in belief. This is, apparently, why Jews don't go around pushing God at everyone, like Christians an Muslims. Now, I don't really go after Muslims too much either. The reason for that is I'm not familiar enough with the Q'uran to engage intelligently in opposition to Islam. That's okay, because there are other atheists out there who are familiar enough with that religion to do that. I leave it to them, and just throw out the occasional barb.

    Christianity, on the other hand, I am very familiar with. I spent time in a Christian Seminary, so I do know the Bible well enough to engage there. So, that is me doing my part to expose theism for the sham that it is.
    Oh I see, so you "rate" the religions by "how much of a problem they are."

    And, it seems Jews also have a high regard for the Bible, is it only the New Testament you have a problem with, is the writing in the Old Testament more "scientific," more "logical"?

    Sorry, but if one religion is full of superstition, then they are ALL illogical and full of superstition.

    But, good to know that your hatred of an individual (whoever knocked on your door 16 years ago,) "proselytizing" and ruining your good Sunday morning, and not based on anything "logical" at all.

    Your problem is with certain religious, but you seem to want to take it out on the religion as a whole.

    Thx

  9. #39
    Sally Sitter Paris's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4,702
    Thanks
    2793

    From
    EU
    Sort of inerrent as God never seems to err on the side of caution.

  10. #40
    Veteran Member Devil505's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    60,473
    Thanks
    18166

    From
    Mass and Florida
    Is the Bible the inerrent word of God?
    No.
    it's the word of the human authors. ( like Herman Melville who wrote Moby Dick.)
    Last edited by Devil505; 17th November 2017 at 12:46 PM.

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 78
    Last Post: 6th July 2017, 07:02 AM
  2. The Satanic Bible vs. the holy bible
    By knight in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 26th March 2016, 08:07 AM
  3. Replies: 97
    Last Post: 26th October 2014, 05:54 PM
  4. Replies: 56
    Last Post: 3rd January 2014, 04:19 PM
  5. If the Bible is the word of God...
    By Zarathustra in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 229
    Last Post: 11th December 2007, 02:57 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed