Members banned from this thread: zaangalewa


Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 255
Thanks Tree53Thanks

Thread: Is the Bible the inerrent word of God?

  1. #41
    Sally Sitter Paris's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4,702
    Thanks
    2791

    From
    EU
    Herman Melville has a lot of talent, though.

  2. #42
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,843
    Thanks
    17364

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Thx1138 View Post
    Oh I see, so you "rate" the religions by "how much of a problem they are."

    And, it seems Jews also have a high regard for the Bible, is it only the New Testament you have a problem with, is the writing in the Old Testament more "scientific," more "logical"?

    Sorry, but if one religion is full of superstition, then they are ALL illogical and full of superstition.
    Oh, I don't disagree. But, one problem at a time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thx1138 View Post
    But, good to know that your hatred of an individual (whoever knocked on your door 16 years ago,) "proselytizing" and ruining your good Sunday morning, and not based on anything "logical" at all.
    Now, you see, that's where you go wrong. I understand that it is easier for you to just assume that I hate Christianity. After all, that makes it easier for you to just ignore any criticism as meaningless aggression, and attack the person presenting the criticism, rhather than having to honestly deal with the criticism itself. "Anyone who criticises Christianity surely must hate Christians, so their comments can be just ignored,"

    Sorry to disappoint you Thx. I don't hate Christians. I don't even hate Christianity. You mistake ridicule, and lack of respect for hatred. There are many things for which I have no respect. I hate almost none of them. Most of them, in fact, I have no emotional connection to, one way, or the other. What you keep calling hatred is simply opposition.

    You on the other hand, seem pretty angry? Are you okay? Have I touched a nerve?


    Quote Originally Posted by Thx1138 View Post
    Your problem is with certain religious, but you seem to want to take it out on the religion as a whole.

    Thx

    You're right. I do want an end to magical thinking, and reliance on fairy tales, and superstition. But one must prioritise. I fight the battle on the front I am most useful, and let other carry the battle elsewhere.
    Last edited by Czernobog; 17th November 2017 at 10:03 AM.

  3. #43
    Bizarroland Observer Thx1138's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    21,374
    Thanks
    12534

    From
    aMEEErica
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    Oh, I don't disagree. But, one problem at a time.


    Now, you see, that's where you go wrong. I understand that it is easier for you to just assume that I hate Christianity. After all, that makes it easier for you to just ignore any criticism as meaningless aggression, and attack the person presenting the criticism, rhather than having to honestly deal with the criticism itself. "Anyone who criticises Christianity surely must hate Christians, so their comments can be just ignored,"

    Sorry to disappoint you Thx. I don't hate Christians. I don't even hate Christianity. You mistake ridicule, and lack of respect for hatred. There are many things for which I have no respect. I hate almost none of them. Most of them, in fact, I have no emotional connection to, one way, or the other. What you keep calling hatred is simply opposition.

    You on the other hand, seem pretty angry? Are you okay? Have I touched a nerve?





    You're right. I do want an end to magical thinking, and reliance on fairy tales, and superstition. But one must prioritise. I fight the battle on the front I am most useful, and let other carry the battle elsewhere.
    No, I'm actually calling you out on your obvious hypocrisy here.

    If you feel that religions are just a bunch of bunk, then you have to be an equal opportunity critic, but your obvious bias tends to undermine any semblance of "logic" or pertinence...

    And... let's get all hung up on semantics here why don't we, let's discuss the real definition of hate...

    "I don't "hate" Thx, I strongly dislike!"

    Oh, and as far as the attempt to "transfer" the "being upset"...

    I'm not the one setting three threads a week on this, am I?

    Thx
    Last edited by Thx1138; 17th November 2017 at 10:16 AM.

  4. #44
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,843
    Thanks
    17364

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Thx1138 View Post
    No, I'm actually calling you out on your obvious hypocrisy here.

    If you feel that religions are just a bunch of bunk, then you have to be an equal opportunity critic, but your obvious bias tends to undermine any semblance of "logic" or pertinence...

    And... let's get all hung up on semantics here why don't we, let's discuss the real definition of hate...

    Thx
    No you don't. One uses what one knows. I know very little about Islam. How would you suppose that I go about pointing out the inconsistencies, and irrationality of the Q'uran, knowing practically nothing about it? I have only a passing knowledge of Hindu. How would you suppose I do what I do with a religion that I know nothing about. I spent nearly a quarter of a century learning about Christianity, as a Christian. Now where do you suppose I would be best suited to serve the cause of reason? Islam? Hindu? Or the religion that I know intimately?

    You are telling the proctologist that he should perform brain surgery. Sorry, that is completely irrational.

  5. #45
    Bizarroland Observer Thx1138's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    21,374
    Thanks
    12534

    From
    aMEEErica
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    No you don't. One uses what one knows. I know very little about Islam. How would you suppose that I go about pointing out the inconsistencies, and irrationality of the Q'uran, knowing practically nothing about it? I have only a passing knowledge of Hindu. How would you suppose I do what I do with a religion that I know nothing about. I spent nearly a quarter of a century learning about Christianity, as a Christian. Now where do you suppose I would be best suited to serve the cause of reason? Islam? Hindu? Or the religion that I know intimately?

    You are telling the proctologist that he should perform brain surgery. Sorry, that is completely irrational.
    Well, if Christianity is full of shit, isn't Islam also?

    So now you plead ignorance, and somehow that justifies your bias here...

    Are you turning GOP on us?

    Thx

  6. #46
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,843
    Thanks
    17364

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Thx1138 View Post
    Well, if Christianity is full of shit, isn't Islam also?

    So now you plead ignorance, and somehow that justifies your bias here...

    Are you turning GOP on us?

    Thx
    I'm sure Islam is. And had I spent 25 years studying the Q'uran, I'm sure that I could just as easily do with it, what I do with Christianity. Unfortunately, I didn't. So, the best I can do is point out the irony of a religion that, literally, calls itself the "Religion of Peace" acting as one of the most violent, ugly terrorist organisations in the world. I can point out the savagery in their dealings with women, homosexuals, and atheists (infidels). But, that is about the extent that my knowledge of Islam allows me to go. I don't know the Q'uran, so I can't pick it apart as I can the Bible, which, as I said, I spent a quarter of a century, as a Christian, studying.

    You think that just because i concentrate on the religion I know, that I, somehow, think the others are reasonable. I don't. But, if you want specifics abut those other religions, you'll have to ask someone who has a better understanding of them than I.

  7. #47
    Bizarroland Observer Thx1138's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    21,374
    Thanks
    12534

    From
    aMEEErica
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    See, you call it revenge, I call it opposition. I'm sorry that we atheists are not just sitting back, and letting you have free reign to poison people's minds any more. Actually I'm not sorry. You guys have had 2,000 to bring about your "Kingdom of Heaven". How's that worked out for ya?

    It's time to step aside, and let reason, and logic see if we can't do a better job. So, yeah. I'm going to keep pointing out the irrational, illogical nature of theism, giving every person who has been brainwashed by this wilful denial of reason has had a chance to learn there is an alternative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    I'm sure Islam is. And had I spent 25 years studying the Q'uran, I'm sure that I could just as easily do with it, what I do with Christianity. Unfortunately, I didn't. So, the best I can do is point out the irony of a religion that, literally, calls itself the "Religion of Peace" acting as one of the most violent, ugly terrorist organisations in the world. I can point out the savagery in their dealings with women, homosexuals, and atheists (infidels). But, that is about the extent that my knowledge of Islam allows me to go. I don't know the Q'uran, so I can't pick it apart as I can the Bible, which, as I said, I spent a quarter of a century, as a Christian, studying.

    You think that just because i concentrate on the religion I know, that I, somehow, think the others are reasonable. I don't. But, if you want specifics abut those other religions, you'll have to ask someone who has a better understanding of them than I.
    Oh I see, that's why Ian gets a pass...

    And I'm sorry you have had nothing but negative experiences, mostly with Christians I suppose...

    I am at odds with some at times, but I don't pin the religion on the individual per se, there are assholes in every religion, and among atheists too.

    I have had negative experiences with Christians, but a lot of good ones too.

    For myself, I don't let the behavior of others determine where my faith will be, it's more between myself and my Creator and what the TV evangelist or someone knocking on my door says has little bearing.

    So, you might call out an individual for their bad behavior, even mention it was in the name of religion...

    But to blanket condemn all the religious on the behavior of some is not the answer either.

    Have you never met a tolerant religious person?

    Thx

  8. #48
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,843
    Thanks
    17364

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Thx1138 View Post
    Oh I see, that's why Ian gets a pass...

    And I'm sorry you have had nothing but negative experiences, mostly with Christians I suppose...
    There you go putting words in my mouth. I never said I had "negative experiences" with Christians. Although I have. But they have all been after I became an atheist, like you. Angry that I am forcing them to honestly look at the irrationality, and lack of reason at the base of their superstitions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thx1138 View Post
    I am at odds with some at times, but I don't pin the religion on the individual per se, there are assholes in every religion, and among atheists too.

    I have had negative experiences with Christians, but a lot of good ones too.
    You keep trying to make this about the adherents. Tell me, you oppose Conservatism. I have seen your posts doing so. Does this mean you "hate' Conservatives. I should hope not. If it does then you should really examine this inability of yours to separate an ideology from the person. I separate the theology from the person. It isn't the person's fault they were given faulty information, and fell prey to irrationality. As I said the only "bad experiences" I had with Christians came after I started opposing Christianity. What can I say? People don't like having their presumptions challenged.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thx1138 View Post
    Have you never met a tolerant religious person?

    Thx
    Not yet. You included. I notice you are very tolerant of my opposition to Christianity.

  9. #49
    Bizarroland Observer Thx1138's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    21,374
    Thanks
    12534

    From
    aMEEErica
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    There you go putting words in my mouth. I never said I had "negative experiences" with Christians. Although I have. But they have all been after I became an atheist, like you. Angry that I am forcing them to honestly look at the irrationality, and lack of reason at the base of their superstitions.


    You keep trying to make this about the adherents. Tell me, you oppose Conservatism. I have seen your posts doing so. Does this mean you "hate' Conservatives. I should hope not. If it does then you should really examine this inability of yours to separate an ideology from the person. I separate the theology from the person. It isn't the person's fault they were given faulty information, and fell prey to irrationality. As I said the only "bad experiences" I had with Christians came after I started opposing Christianity. What can I say? People don't like having their presumptions challenged.



    Not yet. You included. I notice you are very tolerant of my opposition to Christianity.
    Oh for crying in the dark...

    Sorry I said "hate," would "extreme dislike" keep you from wasting two posts on semantics?

    And yes, I call out conservatives for their hypocrisy too, Christians, conservatives, democrats, Hindus, no one gets a "pass."

    Can you say the same?

    Thx

  10. #50
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    51,257
    Thanks
    24421

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Thx1138 View Post
    I see, so his points are all "payback" are they...?
    I was thinking more along the lines of self-defense.
    Thanks from Czernobog

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 78
    Last Post: 6th July 2017, 07:02 AM
  2. The Satanic Bible vs. the holy bible
    By knight in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 26th March 2016, 08:07 AM
  3. Replies: 97
    Last Post: 26th October 2014, 05:54 PM
  4. Replies: 56
    Last Post: 3rd January 2014, 04:19 PM
  5. If the Bible is the word of God...
    By Zarathustra in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 229
    Last Post: 11th December 2007, 02:57 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed