Members banned from this thread: zaangalewa


Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 255
Thanks Tree53Thanks

Thread: Is the Bible the inerrent word of God?

  1. #51
    Bizarroland Observer Thx1138's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    21,374
    Thanks
    12534

    From
    aMEEErica
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    I was thinking more along the lines of self-defense.
    So, he sets these threads for "self-defense"?

    Baloney.

    Thx

  2. #52
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    51,257
    Thanks
    24421

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Thx1138 View Post
    Baloney.
    I hate baloney, even (perhaps especially) when it is spelled "bologna."

  3. #53
    Bizarroland Observer Thx1138's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    21,374
    Thanks
    12534

    From
    aMEEErica
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    I hate baloney, even (perhaps especially) when it is spelled "bologna."
    Yes, that's why I avoid that spelling, it makes it even more gross!

    And... the pronunciation makes about as much sense as "Boehner" being pronounced "Baynor."

    Thx
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey

  4. #54
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,843
    Thanks
    17364

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Thx1138 View Post
    Oh for crying in the dark...

    Sorry I said "hate," would "extreme dislike" keep you from wasting two posts on semantics?

    And yes, I call out conservatives for their hypocrisy too, Christians, conservatives, democrats, Hindus, no one gets a "pass."

    Can you say the same?

    Thx
    yeah. I can. About time I start seeing Hindus posting in these forums, and going on television, and making all kinds of noise in my country/culture about how much better we would all be if we just started passing laws to force everyone to be Hindu, I will start a campaign against them. Have they been doing that, ad I missed it?

    You see, you seem to want me to pick fights with people who haven't picked one with me. Why would I do that? Now, had you picked Islam, I could maybe see your point. However, I already demonstrated the extent to which my knowledge of Islam allows me to fight back against them. And, do let me make a point here. I don't really make a distinction, for the purposes of these discussions, between Muslims, and Jihadists. While I understand that not all Muslins are Jihadists, and I don't think we should treat them as such, I, at the same time, recognise that even in their "non-violence", their religion encourages violence against anyone not like them. The "non-violent" ones throw homosexuals off walls, beat women in the street for not wearing the "proper head covering", and chop the heads off of atheists, and other "non-believers". So, yeah, while I may appreciate the fact that these multitudes of "non-violent" Muslims aren't strapping on bomb vests, and trying to blow me up, I still think their religion is one of cruelty, and injustice. And I can only assume, not kowing the Q'uran as well as I do the Bible, that they get their justification for these heinous acts from their silly book of Fairy Tales.

    "Oh! You're a hypocrite, because you fight back against the group of religious fanatics who are trying to pass laws, and change your society into the Religious Wonderland that they want, but you won't pick a fight with that religious group who is pretty much leaving you alone,"

    And this is what passes for a reasonable response to me from you.
    Last edited by Czernobog; 17th November 2017 at 12:40 PM.

  5. #55
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    60,087
    Thanks
    10982

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    Hmmm. And who gets to be the arbiter of what is literal, and what is not. And you can't say "The Holy Spirit". After all there are currently some 3,000 different denominations, all based on different interpretations of various passages of the Bible. Every one of them insists that their "interpretation" is the accurate one as "revealed" by the Holy Spirit. Well, unless the Holy Spirit is schizophrenic that cannot possibly be true.

    So, the question remains who gets to be the arbiter of the "proper" interpretation of the Bible, and when it is metaphoric, and when it is literal?
    Nobody does.

    There are things in the Bible which are crystal clear and known to all, such as how to achieve salvation.

    Most of the Bible is either a giant history lesson or things left up to interpretation.

    It was probably written this way on purpose so that people would focus on what God obviously made the priority, which is how to get to Heaven basically.

    Does it matter if donkey's talk, a great flood actually happened or if the Earth was literally created in six days?

    Nope.

  6. #56
    Bizarroland Observer Thx1138's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    21,374
    Thanks
    12534

    From
    aMEEErica
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    yeah. I can. About time I start seeing Hindus posting in these forums, and going on television, and making all kinds of noise in my country/culture about how much better we would all be if we just started passing laws to force everyone to be Hindu, I will start a campaign against them. Have they been doing that, ad I missed it?

    You see, you seem to want me to pick fights with people who haven't picked one with me. Why would I do that? Now, had you picked Islam, I could maybe see your point. However, I already demonstrated the extent to which my knowledge of Islam allows me to fight back against them. And, do let me make a point here. I don't really make a distinction, for the purposes of these discussions, between Muslims, and Jihadists. While I understand that not all Muslins are Jihadists, and I don't think we should treat them as such, I, at the same time, recognise that even in their "non-violence", their religion encourages violence against anyone not like them. The "non-violent" ones throw homosexuals off walls, beat women in the street for not wearing the "proper head covering", and chop the heads off of atheists, and other "non-believers". So, yeah, while I may appreciate the fact that these multitudes of "non-violent" Muslims aren't strapping on bomb vests, and trying to blow me up, I still think their religion is one of cruelty, and injustice. And I can only assume, not kowing the Q'uran as well as I do the Bible, that they get their justification for these heinous acts from their silly book of Fairy Tales.

    "Oh! You're a hypocrite, because you fight back against the group of religious fanatics who are trying to pass laws, and change your society into the Religious Wonderland that they want, but you won't pick a fight with that religious group who is pretty much leaving you alone,"

    And this is what passes for a reasonable response to me from you.
    Balogna.

    Thx

  7. #57
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,843
    Thanks
    17364

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Nobody does.

    There are things in the Bible which are crystal clear and known to all, such as how to achieve salvation.

    Most of the Bible is either a giant history lesson or things left up to interpretation.

    It was probably written this way on purpose so that people would focus on what God obviously made the priority, which is how to get to Heaven basically.

    Does it matter if donkey's talk, a great flood actually happened or if the Earth was literally created in six days?

    Nope.
    Actually, yeah it does. Because if the Bible insists that all of those things happened (it does), and they didn't (the evidence, and science rather dictates that they couldn't have), then the bible as a reliable source is...compromised, at best. So, if the Bible is known to be unreliable, why should any of that heaven stuff - the very stuff you insist is the most important part of the Bible - be given any credence at all?

  8. #58
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,843
    Thanks
    17364

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Thx1138 View Post
    Balogna.

    Thx
    FLAG ON THE PLAY

  9. #59
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    14,260
    Thanks
    3821

    From
    AK
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    Is the Bible the inerrent word of God?
    The leading question implies God exists. I guess I'll just go with "no," in any case.

  10. #60
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,843
    Thanks
    17364

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    The leading question implies God exists. I guess I'll just go with "no," in any case.
    Well...the question was supposed to be directed at Christian theists.

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 78
    Last Post: 6th July 2017, 07:02 AM
  2. The Satanic Bible vs. the holy bible
    By knight in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 26th March 2016, 08:07 AM
  3. Replies: 97
    Last Post: 26th October 2014, 05:54 PM
  4. Replies: 56
    Last Post: 3rd January 2014, 04:19 PM
  5. If the Bible is the word of God...
    By Zarathustra in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 229
    Last Post: 11th December 2007, 02:57 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed