Members banned from this thread: Czernobog


Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 290
Thanks Tree79Thanks

Thread: What is the purpose of prayer?

  1. #61
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,843
    Thanks
    17364

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    My point is I am not doing the healing, God is. His will be done. I don't have anything both ways
    At your behest. So, you changed God's mind. Or, he was going to do it anyway, which begs the question, if God planned on "healing" the (fill in the blank with affliction of your choice) anyway, why inflict it in the first place? Seems like a pretty cruel way to make sure everyone still knows he's around.

    "Hey. I'm gonna give you a disease that causes open, running, extremely painful sores all over your body, and let you suffer in agony for months. But, hey. Don't worry about it. Because then, after months of suffering, I'm going to magically make the disease go away, so people will remember me, and marvel,"

    Gee...thanks God. Fuck you! You couldn't find a slightly dickish way to remind everyone you're here?

  2. #62
    Anarquistador StanStill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    9,343
    Thanks
    9277

    From
    Home
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    Well, if you think the topic is so useless, why are you here?
    The same reason anyone is here. To explain my opinion. Also, to ask you why you continually start these threads, or if you even know why.

    This may come as a shock, but I tend to argue with people I disagree with, not the ones I agree with.

  3. #63
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,843
    Thanks
    17364

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by StanStill View Post
    The same reason anyone is here. To explain my opinion. Also, to ask you why you continually start these threads, or if you even know why.

    This may come as a shock, but I tend to argue with people I disagree with, not the ones I agree with.
    And I see it as a duty to my fellow man to point out the irrationality of theism in general, and Christianity in particular (because it is the brand with which I am most familiar) as often, and in as many ways as possible, hopefully getting someone under the yolk of superstition to re-engage their brain, and come out into the light of reason.

  4. #64
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    51,257
    Thanks
    24421

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    I don't have anything both ways
    Of course not, but you are trying to.

  5. #65
    A Blue Dog Jets Fan Jets's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    20,301
    Thanks
    7884

    From
    New York

    What is the purpose of prayer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    And I see it as a duty to my fellow man to point out the irrationality of theism in general, and Christianity in particular (because it is the brand with which I am most familiar) as often, and in as many ways as possible, hopefully getting someone under the yolk of superstition to re-engage their brain, and come out into the light of reason.
    Not for anything, but that’s an unfair criticism of people who truly believe in their worship of God. Belief is not about reason, it is about having faith which is not based on logic. “Christians” who attack anyone who do not agree with them lock,stock and barrel, deserve to be called out for the closed minded stupidity they harbor. That said, not every Catholic,Jew, or Christian should be pigeonholed as people who “do not engage their brain”

    My two cents
    Last edited by Jets; 17th November 2017 at 12:26 PM.
    Thanks from Redwood Burl

  6. #66
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,843
    Thanks
    17364

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets View Post
    Not for anything, but that’s an unfair criticism of people who truly believe in their worship of God. Belief is not about reason, it is about having faith which is not based on logic. “Christians” who attack anyone who do not agree with them lock,stock and barrel, deserve to be called out for the closed minded stupidity they harbor. That said, not every Catholic,Jew, or Christian should be pigeonholed as people who “do not engage their brain”

    My two cents
    That's kinda the point, Jets. Faith is the advocacy of wilful disregard of reason, and logic. You'll forgive me if I do not see that as a laudable thing.
    Thanks from Devil505

  7. #67
    A Blue Dog Jets Fan Jets's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    20,301
    Thanks
    7884

    From
    New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    That's kinda the point, Jets. Faith is the advocacy of wilful disregard of reason, and logic. You'll forgive me if I do not see that as a laudable thing.
    Speaking as a practicing Catholic, you are forgiven,sir.

    Thanks from Redwood Burl

  8. #68
    Veteran Member Devil505's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    60,457
    Thanks
    18148

    From
    Mass and Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    That's kinda the point, Jets. Faith is the advocacy of wilful disregard of reason, and logic. You'll forgive me if I do not see that as a laudable thing.
    I agree.

    Faith | Define Faith at Dictionary.com
    Faith | Define Faith at Dictionary.com
    strong or unshakeable belief in something, esp without proof or evidence.

    I see it as a childish wish and avoidance of observable reality.

  9. #69
    Chubby Member
    Joined
    May 2006
    Posts
    9,109
    Thanks
    2766

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    I agree.

    Faith | Define Faith at Dictionary.com
    Faith | Define Faith at Dictionary.com
    strong or unshakeable belief in something, esp without proof or evidence.

    I see it as a childish wish and avoidance of observable reality.
    I see it as one of an infinite number of ways to speculate around the edges of what is knowable: what happened before the Big Bang, does time have a beginning or an ending, what are matter and energy truly made of, and of course, is consciousness anything other than a side-effect of a working bunch of chemicals.

    I like meditating around these questions. I contemplate all sorts of answers. Truth is, I have no idea what is right, and I most certainly never will, at least not in this life. It's not the questions, or even the possibilities we contemplate, including religious/spiritual ones. It's the fundamentalism. The conviction. If anything, it's the lack of questioning and speculating-- groundlessly, true --that's the problem.

    Most people can conceive of time stretching on into the future, forever. But their minds recoil from the same concept working backwards in time. Strange, when you think of it.
    Thanks from Redwood Burl

  10. #70
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    2,076
    Thanks
    1884

    From
    U.S.A.
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    Soo..people pray to remind themselves that "God is here, and healing"? Don't they already know that? I mean, isn't that the point of praying? Talking to God? It would be rather like me dialling 911 just to "remind myself" that the police are out there protecting me. I kinda already knew this. Hence, the 911.
    I hear ya.
    If God is all-giving and all-healing, why do people have to beg for it with prayer?
    Is that like placing an order?
    Thanks from Devil505

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What is the purpose for prayer?
    By Katiegrrl0 in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 13th December 2010, 07:15 AM
  2. what is the purpose of ego?
    By nonsqtr in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 7th October 2009, 07:03 PM
  3. Purpose of Life
    By Socrates Was Right in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 5th June 2007, 11:01 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed