Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 81 to 87 of 87
Thanks Tree18Thanks

Thread: The Bible's archaic, arbitrary code of ethics is ineffective in the real world.

  1. #81
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35,369
    Thanks
    17649

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
    You probably meant Ephesians:

    Instructions for Christian Households
    21 Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ. 22 Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

    It goes on to say:

    25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26 to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, 27 and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28 In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church— 30 for we are members of his body. 31 “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.” 32 This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church. 33 However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.

    The reason you do not understand passages in the bible is because you take them out of their context.
    No, I didn't. There is no context in which treating women as secondary is appropriate.

  2. #82
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35,369
    Thanks
    17649

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
    Do refrain from speaking of things you know nothing about.

    “Furthermore, whatever is opposed to life itself, such as any type of murder, genocide, abortion, euthanasia or wilful self-destruction, whatever violates the integrity of the human person, such as mutilation, torments inflicted on body or mind, attempts to coerce the will itself; whatever insults human dignity, such as subhuman living conditions, arbitrary imprisonment, deportation, slavery, prostitution, the selling of women and children; as well as disgraceful working conditions, where men are treated as mere tools for profit, rather than as free and responsible persons; all these things and others of their like are infamies indeed. They poison human society, but they do more harm to those who practice them than those who suffer from the injury. Moreover, they are supreme dishonor to the Creator.”

    From: Gaudium et Spes, The Pastoral Constitution of the Church in the Modern World, 12/7/1965, number 27.
    Well, that's an adorable quote, except that it is completely contradictory to the Bible. See, that's the problem. Many Christian preachers have said many things that are laudable. Unfortunately, they do so by completely ignoring the Bible. That's the problem with basing your religion on a 2,000 year-old book of man-made mythology. Times change, and the book is destined to become obsolete.

    I mean let's take just the "murder, and genocide", shall we? According to the bible, God commanded genocide (1 Sam 15:2 & 3), so how can genocide possibly dishonour the "Creator"? See the problem there? I agree that genocide is morally reprehensible, but to claim that it dishonours God blatantly ignores the book on which your religion is based.
    Last edited by Czernobog; 5th December 2017 at 06:26 PM.

  3. #83
    Established Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,945
    Thanks
    300

    From
    Irrelevant
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    No, I didn't.
    Yes you meant ephisians, not corinthians.

    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    There is no context in which treating women as secondary is appropriate.
    And nothing in the new testament is meant to that effect.

  4. #84
    Established Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,945
    Thanks
    300

    From
    Irrelevant
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    Well, that's an adorable quote, except that it is completely contradictory to the Bible. See, that's the problem. Many Christian preachers have said many things that are laudable. Unfortunately, they do so by completely ignoring the Bible. That's the problem with basing your religion on a 2,000 year-old book of man-made mythology. Times change, and the book is destined to become obsolete.
    It seems contradictory to you only because you insist on understanding only the literal sense of the bible.

    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    I mean let's take just the "murder, and genocide", shall we? According to the bible, God commanded genocide (1 Sam 15:2 & 3), so how can genocide possibly dishonour the "Creator"? See the problem there? I agree that genocide is morally reprehensible, but to claim that it dishonours God blatantly ignores the book on which your religion is based.
    Genocide dishonors the creator. No problem there.

    But then again, that's from the old testament. Christian ethics exemplified in gaudium et spes, is based on the new testament, so.....

  5. #85
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35,369
    Thanks
    17649

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
    It seems contradictory to you only because you insist on understanding only the literal sense of the bible.



    Genocide dishonors the creator. No problem there.

    But then again, that's from the old testament. Christian ethics exemplified in gaudium et spes, is based on the new testament, so.....
    And again, adorable. The Old Testament doesn't apply to Christians...except when it does. And only we get to say when that is, and in what form. Again, this is what makes debating Christians about the irrationality of their book of mythology so difficult. They are a constantly moving target. Every time you get them tied down to what they believe, when you point out why that belief is irrational, they suddenly shift, and say, "Well, we never believed that, in the first place!"

  6. #86
    Established Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,945
    Thanks
    300

    From
    Irrelevant
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    And again, adorable. The Old Testament doesn't apply to Christians...except when it does. And only we get to say when that is, and in what form. Again, this is what makes debating Christians about the irrationality of their book of mythology so difficult. They are a constantly moving target. Every time you get them tied down to what they believe, when you point out why that belief is irrational, they suddenly shift, and say, "Well, we never believed that, in the first place!"
    Sorry but catholicism isn't a moving target at all. Its teachings are stated categorically in church evangelicals and are written very similar to a legal brief.

    Your problem is your utter ignorance of these teachings.

  7. #87
    Established Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,945
    Thanks
    300

    From
    Irrelevant
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    And, see? This is the self-destructive message of Christianity. You suck. You're despicable. You're worthless. You are the greatest disappointment in the entire universe. So, God had to send himself to Earth, to have himself crucified, so you can thank him for his awesome gift that you clearly don't deserve, so God can stand to look at you again.

    If a parent spent a kid's childhood teaching them this - that they were worthless - can you imagine the self-loathing personality disorder they would develop? Yet this is exactly the message the Bible, and Christianity teaches its followers, and they call it a message of hope!
    You are utterly ignorant of that religion you claim to have spent 25 years studying.

    Christianity started out as a religion for slaves. It is exactly the opposite of your stated opinions here, I'm inclined to think you are incapable of learning anything.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Similar Threads

  1. Jihadists must die, --- but our real enemies are the Qur’an and Bible.
    By Gnostic Christian Bishop in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27th February 2015, 07:51 AM
  2. Bible code-breaker declares Obama the ANTICHRIST!
    By BoiseBo in forum Current Events
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 8th October 2014, 11:12 AM
  3. Replies: 41
    Last Post: 20th August 2011, 05:56 AM
  4. At IMF, strict ethics code doesn't apply to top officials
    By michaelr in forum World Politics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 31st May 2011, 08:18 AM
  5. Virtual World versus Real World
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 6th July 2008, 02:07 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed