Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
Thanks Tree1Thanks

Thread: Really? There's a difference?

  1. #11
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,843
    Thanks
    17364

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    Not aware of any Christian groups who embrace the behavior of the Westboro Baptist Church....
    And there it is! You see, Christians don't have a problem with what Westboro believes, or even teaches. They just don't like the fact that Westboro makes such a spectacle of itself, shining a spotlight on this particular rather extreme view of most Evangelical Christians.

  2. #12
    the "good" prag pragmatic's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    28,959
    Thanks
    17503

    From
    between Moon and NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    In what way? For instance, answer a question for me. In regards to homosexuality, how, precisely, is the doctrine of Westboro Baptist any different than the majority of mainstream Evangelical Churches?
    Not really up for a research project.

    Can you go ahead and provide what you think is the answer??


    (with citations....?)

  3. #13
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,843
    Thanks
    17364

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    Not really up for a research project.

    Can you go ahead and provide what you think is the answer??
    You gave the answer, yourself, with an earlier post. Christians problems with Westboro isn't their beliefs - most agree with those. Rather, it is with their antics they take issue, because they would prefer that a spotlight on this belief not be shone for the world to see.

  4. #14
    the "good" prag pragmatic's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    28,959
    Thanks
    17503

    From
    between Moon and NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    You gave the answer, yourself, with an earlier post. Christians problems with Westboro isn't their beliefs - most agree with those. Rather, it is with their antics they take issue, because they would prefer that a spotlight on this belief not be shone for the world to see.

    No, actually didn't make any statement at all as to agreeing with Westboro Church "beliefs".

    You just sort of made that part up....

  5. #15
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,843
    Thanks
    17364

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    No, actually didn't make any statement at all as to agreeing with Westboro Church "beliefs".

    You just sort of made that part up....
    I didn't say you did. However, look at what you did say:

    Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    Not aware of any Christian groups who embrace the behavior of the Westboro Baptist Church....
    Did you say that you're not aware of any Christian groups who embrace the beliefs of Westboro Baptist Church? No. You said you don't know any Christian groups who embrace the behaviour of Westboro.

    And tell me this, why have no other evangelical organisations made any public statements denouncing Westboro's beliefs? Why are all of the denouncements only about behaviour? Could it be because they actually agree with the beliefs? If one spends any time studying the Christian position on homosexuality - particularly the Evangelical Christian view on homosexuality - you'll quickly find the answer is, "YES!" If you need evidence of this:

    Here: As for same-sex "marriage," we see no place for it within the context of a Christian worldview. According to the Bible, marriage is heterosexual by definition. Jesus, when expressing his understanding of the scriptural foundation for the divine purpose and design in marriage, referred to its origins in the Creation account: "From the beginning of creation, God made them male and female. For this cause a man shall leave his father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh..." (Mark 10:6-8, quoting Genesis 2:24).

    And here: The delights of sexual intimacy were designed by God to express the mystery of the covenant union of marriage between one man and one woman. In our fallen world, we all struggle with inclinations to express our sexuality in sinful ways. Christ has come to rescue homosexual people, no less than heterosexual people, from their soul-killing idolatry so that we might live forgiven, joyful, obedient, and triumphant lives as disciples of Jesus.

    And, even here: When biblical integrity is discarded (as it surely is when pro-gay theology is adopted), then a stand for truth is mandated.

    And those are just a few examples. Clearly, a large majority of the Christian community agrees, wholeheartedly with the position of Westboro. They just don't like their antics. Why would that be? Why would it be perfectly okay to have this view of homosexuality, so long as you aren't "too" outspoken about it? Logic would dictate that the only reason to keep quiet is so that no one would notice that Christians hold this extreme view.

  6. #16
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,843
    Thanks
    17364

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well, that was a short discussion...

  7. #17
    SWED Missle Command Champion johnflesh's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    19,046
    Thanks
    9216

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    Well, that was a short discussion...
    I wonder why...

  8. #18
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,843
    Thanks
    17364

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by johnflesh View Post
    I wonder why...
    Oh, do tell? Why do I get the feeling that, had I stopped at Muslims, there would have been all sorts of people on this foru8m falling all over themselves to agree with me? But, since I suggest that Christian moderates should also stand up to that religion's extremists, suddenly, I'm an asshole.

  9. #19
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,843
    Thanks
    17364

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    ...and whaddoyakno? Other than snark @johnflesh doesn't have anything relevant to actually say...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. What's the difference..
    By Wrangler in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 14th August 2016, 04:14 PM
  2. What A Difference...............
    By vikingbeast in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16th August 2015, 04:56 AM
  3. The Difference Between.....
    By Loki in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 18th February 2014, 09:39 AM
  4. What Is The Difference ?
    By Monk-Eye in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16th October 2013, 06:03 PM
  5. What's the difference?!?!
    By Zarathustra in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22nd January 2007, 08:09 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed