Members banned from this thread: Pragmatist


Page 81 of 171 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131 ... LastLast
Results 801 to 810 of 1703
Thanks Tree261Thanks

Thread: Atheist answer to the 10 Commandments: 10 Rational positions.

  1. #801
    Veteran Member aboutenough's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    53,046
    Thanks
    2824

    From
    Washington state
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J View Post
    It doesn't matter at all if they do or don't contradict each other. Mission Earth has ten volumes and they don't contradict each other. Does that mean it isn't fiction?

    The Holy Bible, regardless of how many chapters it has, doesn't prove itself. There is still no archaeological evidence of Christ's tomb and no way to prove the supernatural event, his resurrection.
    . You are the only person I know that says something is false without ever examining the evidence. You find it easier to mock from the sidelines like the armchair quarterback.

  2. #802
    Veteran Member aboutenough's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    53,046
    Thanks
    2824

    From
    Washington state
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J View Post
    It doesn't matter at all if they do or don't contradict each other. Mission Earth has ten volumes and they don't contradict each other. Does that mean it isn't fiction?

    The Holy Bible, regardless of how many chapters it has, doesn't prove itself. There is still no archaeological evidence of Christ's tomb and no way to prove the supernatural event, his resurrection.
    If you disregard testimonies of his resurrection I guess you could assume that. We could disregard all history if we thought that way and didn’t agree with it.

  3. #803
    Veteran Member aboutenough's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    53,046
    Thanks
    2824

    From
    Washington state
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J View Post
    This logical fallacy is called Appeal to Faith. You think something must exist just because you believe it exists. It doesn't matter if I disbelieve somebody's claim for a supernatural God. If there was evidence for it, it would still exist.
    . I don’t just believe God exist. God revealed himself and who he is to me

  4. #804
    Veteran Member aboutenough's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    53,046
    Thanks
    2824

    From
    Washington state
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J View Post
    Hold him to it. He uses psychological deceptions to distance himself from guilt.
    Ian is so wrapped up in his own hate for Christians, he is willing to deny his own faith to get me to prove there is a God. Pretty sad actually

  5. #805
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    54,397
    Thanks
    26111

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    Ian is so wrapped up in his own hate for Christians....
    Lying and trolling again. I have not made a single post expressing hate for Xians. Your hatred for Jews, however, is well-established in the record.

    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    [Ian] is willing to deny his own faith....
    I have done nothing of the kind. You do not even understand Judaism OR Jewish law, yet you presume to comment on them and make accusations against me. The height of your arrogance never ceases to astound me.

    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    ... to get me to prove there is a G-d.
    You have said you could prove G-d exists, and now you refuse to do it and make personal attacks in the service of that refusal. That suggests you have no proof at all; you just believe it, and want us to just take your word for it, as though your belief makes you special.

  6. #806
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    54,397
    Thanks
    26111

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    Nothing on that site proves anything. The site assumes the very conclusions to be proven. That is called circular reasoning, and it is illogical.

  7. #807
    Veteran Member Michael J's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    12,697
    Thanks
    4893

    From
    Washington
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    . I don’t just believe God exist. God revealed himself and who he is to me
    Prove it.

  8. #808
    Veteran Member Michael J's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    12,697
    Thanks
    4893

    From
    Washington
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    That article mostly makes the same Arguments by Assertion that you do. It says there are numerous sources that confirm Jesus Christ's existence. So what do the sources say? I click on their footnote and it takes me to another page with references that have no links to them. The author of that article must quote the sources that he is using because the burden of proof is on him.

    Then it cites records of Christian church leaders. So what? Of course they are going to be about Jesus Christ. They're his disciples. Like the article's previous paragraph, the author doesn't actually quote the sources.

    You don't understand your own logical fallacies and cognitive biases. You also don't understand systemic biases. Linguist Noam Chomsky has written a lot about them.

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemic_bias
    Last edited by Michael J; 8th January 2018 at 11:41 AM.

  9. #809
    Veteran Member Michael J's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    12,697
    Thanks
    4893

    From
    Washington
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    If you disregard testimonies of his resurrection I guess you could assume that. We could disregard all history if we thought that way and didn’t agree with it.
    I will repeat myself again: There is no way to prove a supernatural event, including by testimony. When listening to testimonies, the judge always assumes the testifier is talking about the material world. Christ's resurrection is a supernatural event.
    Last edited by Michael J; 8th January 2018 at 11:40 AM.

  10. #810
    Veteran Member Michael J's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    12,697
    Thanks
    4893

    From
    Washington
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    . You are the only person I know that says something is false without ever examining the evidence. You find it easier to mock from the sidelines like the armchair quarterback.
    This is another Argument by Assertion that you make because you don't understand anything I write:

    Premise 1: You say something is false without examining the evidence.
    Premise 2: You say something is false without examining the evidence.
    Premise 3: You say something is false without examining the evidence.
    -----
    Conclusion: You say something is false without examining the evidence.

Similar Threads

  1. Rational reason to believe in God?
    By Communist Rationalist in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 26th July 2013, 10:01 PM
  2. Ask the Last Rational Man
    By JayMick in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 3rd February 2012, 05:41 PM
  3. Is there a Rational Ground for Morality?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10th April 2009, 01:20 AM
  4. Belief in God is rational
    By Vetruvius in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 18th February 2009, 08:56 AM

Search tags for this page

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed