Members banned from this thread: Pragmatist


Page 89 of 171 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139 ... LastLast
Results 881 to 890 of 1703
Thanks Tree261Thanks

Thread: Atheist answer to the 10 Commandments: 10 Rational positions.

  1. #881
    Veteran Member aboutenough's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    55,007
    Thanks
    2973

    From
    Washington state
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J View Post
    It doesn't matter who put the camera there. The pictures and recorded footage are still external corroborations.

    Next you're going to tell me "well NASA could have manipulated the pictures and footage." That logical fallacy is an Appeal to Possibility. Just because something possibly happened doesn't mean it actually did.

    Christians need external corroborations to prove what the Christian Gospels say. If Jesus Christ was crucified and killed, where is his body with lacerated wrists? Where is his tomb? There is no evidence of either of those. There is no way to prove he was resurrected because it is impossible to prove any supernatural event.
    . If I use the same logic you do about writers of the New Testament , then yes they could manipulate the pictures. I am being like you. I will never believe any proof of the moon landing because its a supernatural event .

  2. #882
    Veteran Member Michael J's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    13,282
    Thanks
    5195

    From
    My mother's womb, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    None of that makes any sense. You do not understand what the word "proof" means.
    It is how he makes the same Definist Fallacies where he manipulates the definition of the word, belief.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey

  3. #883
    Veteran Member Michael J's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    13,282
    Thanks
    5195

    From
    My mother's womb, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    . If I use the same logic you do about writers of the New Testament , then yes they could manipulate the pictures. I am being like you. I will never believe any proof of the moon landing because its a supernatural event .
    That makes no sense at all. The Moon landing isn't a supernatural event. Astronauts are real, and so are the ships they traveled in. The Moon is also real. Have you been looking up into the night sky recently?

    You made the same Appeal to Possibility fallacy that you did earlier about the photos and footage about the Moon landing.

    You also made a Fallacy of Omission where you ignored all of the many Moon rocks they brought back and everything else that Czernobog explained to you.
    Last edited by Michael J; 11th January 2018 at 07:17 PM.

  4. #884
    Veteran Member Michael J's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    13,282
    Thanks
    5195

    From
    My mother's womb, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    Did Polaroid take those cameras to the moon on their own? Didnít think so.
    Regardless of who took those photos, they are still external corroborations. No one ever proved NASA manipulated the footage or pictures.

    You also are ignoring the many moon rocks they found and astrophysics departments verified.

  5. #885
    Veteran Member Michael J's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    13,282
    Thanks
    5195

    From
    My mother's womb, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    You are so sure Jesus didn’t exist because you don’t have a 2000 year old body. You have one big problem, he was resurrected, so there is no body. That was a huge problem with the Romans and the Jews. It was the Romans job to guard the tomb and the Jews initiated the Romans to put a guard by the tomb because of what Jesus said about him rising from the dead.
    When did I say I was sure Jesus Christ didn't exist? Do you not know what modal verbs are?

    In a court case, if you claim someone was murdered, you must produce evidence of a corpse. There is no evidence of Christ's body. If he was resurrected, then his body with punctured wrists would be gone. But there is no way to prove he was resurrected because there is no way to prove supernatural events. Whether he was or wasn't resurrected, there is still no evidence of his corpse with punctured wrists, so you lose either way.

    You are embarrassed to admit that you believe Christ's resurrection on faith.
    Last edited by Michael J; 11th January 2018 at 07:27 PM.

  6. #886
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35,477
    Thanks
    17709

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    Did Polaroid take those cameras to the moon on their own? Didnít think so.
    And again, you ignore all of the other corroborating evidence that I presented. Your concession is noted.

  7. #887
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35,477
    Thanks
    17709

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    . If I use the same logic you do about writers of the New Testament , then yes they could manipulate the pictures. I am being like you. I will never believe any proof of the moon landing because its a supernatural event .
    Except you aren't using the same logic. Using the same logic would require you to admit that there is corroborating evidence that did not come from NASA to demonstrate that the moon landing happened. You are choosing to ignore the corroborating evidence so you can pretend that the moon landing is no different than the single sourced event that allegedly happened

  8. #888
    Established Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,083
    Thanks
    306

    From
    Irrelevant
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Nothing you provided there contradicts the plain text of the Torah, which is that the Torah was addressed to Jews, who were the only ones there. G-d was not talking at that time to anyone else.
    Why then translate to a pagan language and make available to a pagan library, hmmmm?

    Clearly, the intention of 70 jewish scholars was to make the torah available for everyone's perusal -- contrary to your claims here.

  9. #889
    Established Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,083
    Thanks
    306

    From
    Irrelevant
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Yes. I do not know who wrote the Wikipedia page, but Halakha is not a "rabbinic interpretation" of the Torah. It is derived from the oral Torah, which is recorded in the Talmud.
    Halakha is jewish law, is it not? And you have admitted here, time and again, that the interpretation of jewish law has changed according to rabbinic interpretation. The restrictions on the sabbath are excused under specific circumstances. This is a rabbinic interpretation that came only after, is it not?

  10. #890
    Established Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,083
    Thanks
    306

    From
    Irrelevant
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    There are certainly some that do not, but on the whole that is what the trinity is - G-d split into three parts.
    Nonsense. The trinity is a perfect union in a single existence. They are not 'parts', rather a manifestation of the single god. Even christian theology admits that this is a mystery -- beyond the ken of human knowledge -- so it is arrogant and presumptuous of you to make such a statement granted that you admit to having little knowledge of christian theology.

Similar Threads

  1. Rational reason to believe in God?
    By Communist Rationalist in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 26th July 2013, 09:01 PM
  2. Ask the Last Rational Man
    By JayMick in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 3rd February 2012, 04:41 PM
  3. Is there a Rational Ground for Morality?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10th April 2009, 12:20 AM
  4. Belief in God is rational
    By Vetruvius in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 18th February 2009, 07:56 AM

Search tags for this page

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed