Members banned from this thread: Pragmatist


Page 92 of 171 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142 ... LastLast
Results 911 to 920 of 1703
Thanks Tree261Thanks

Thread: Atheist answer to the 10 Commandments: 10 Rational positions.

  1. #911
    Veteran Member aboutenough's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    54,277
    Thanks
    2920

    From
    Washington state
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J View Post
    When did I say I was sure Jesus Christ didn't exist? Do you not know what modal verbs are?

    In a court case, if you claim someone was murdered, you must produce evidence of a corpse. There is no evidence of Christ's body. If he was resurrected, then his body with punctured wrists would be gone. But there is no way to prove he was resurrected because there is no way to prove supernatural events. Whether he was or wasn't resurrected, there is still no evidence of his corpse with punctured wrists, so you lose either way.

    You are embarrassed to admit that you believe Christ's resurrection on faith.
    You have faith NASA collected rocks from the moon, but were you there to see them collected?

  2. #912
    Veteran Member aboutenough's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    54,277
    Thanks
    2920

    From
    Washington state
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    Except you aren't using the same logic. Using the same logic would require you to admit that there is corroborating evidence that did not come from NASA to demonstrate that the moon landing happened. You are choosing to ignore the corroborating evidence so you can pretend that the moon landing is no different than the single sourced event that allegedly happened
    Just using the same logic as Michael J. Choose to ignore evidence because its not an event he cares to explore. No human has disproved evidence of Christ, in fact all Atheist that have attempted to disprove the Bible have either failed or ended up discovering the truth and became believers. The Book and Movie the “Case For Christ” was one of those instances

  3. #913
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35,477
    Thanks
    17702

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    Just using the same logic as Michael J. Choose to ignore evidence because its not an event he cares to explore. No human has disproved evidence of Christ, in fact all Atheist that have attempted to disprove the Bible have either failed or ended up discovering the truth and became believers. The Book and Movie the “Case For Christ” was one of those instances
    I have done the research, aboutenough, so bullshit someone else. A full century. That is how long passed before a single Greek, or Roman historian, philosopher, statesman, or poet so much as mention the name of Jesus. The Bible cannot corroborate its self, and there is not a single corroborative reference for another full century. No matter how much you want to try to argue around that, it is a fact that you cannot dispute.

  4. #914
    Veteran Member TNVolunteer73's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    31,774
    Thanks
    8139

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    1. Be open minded and willing to alter your beliefs with new evidence.
    2. Strive to understand what is most likely to be true, not believe what you want to be true.
    3. The scientific method is the most reliable way of understanding the natural world.
    4. Every person has the right to control their own body.
    5. God is not necessary to be a good person, or to live a full and meaningful life.
    6. Be mindful of the consequences of all of your actions and recognise that you must take responsibility for them.
    7. Treat others as you would want them to treat you, and can reasonably expect they want to be treated.
    8. We have the responsibility to consider others, including future generations - which is not to be confused with unborn non-viable fetuses.
    9. There is no right way to live.
    10. Leave the world a better place than you found it.

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    These are rational positions by which to live one's life; unlike certain "commandments" of an irrational mythology one might mention.
    How can you respect future Generations when you think it is exceptable to kill the next future generation in the name of convenience.?

    If your mind is open too long everything will leak out.

    Scientific method is NOT pushing a theory as Scientific Law.. Evolution would be one.

  5. #915
    Established Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,075
    Thanks
    306

    From
    Irrelevant
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    And sanctimonious arrogance like this is why I have you on ignore. Have fun with your self-congratulatory masturbation. I'm done.
    Your posts got exactly the amount of contempt they deserve -- nothing more, nothing less.

    That's probably the 3rd time you're 'done' and yet, you can't stop responding to me. But then again, a person who needs an ignore function to ignore the free flow of ideas in the public domain is probably not very smart to begin with.
    Thanks from Puzzling Evidence

  6. #916
    Established Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,075
    Thanks
    306

    From
    Irrelevant
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    I have done the research, aboutenough, so bullshit someone else. A full century. That is how long passed before a single Greek, or Roman historian, philosopher, statesman, or poet so much as mention the name of Jesus. The Bible cannot corroborate its self, and there is not a single corroborative reference for another full century. No matter how much you want to try to argue around that, it is a fact that you cannot dispute.
    Check your arithmetic.

    Jesus began preaching around 27-29 ad.

    He died around 30-36 ad.

    Tacitus (a.d. 55-120), the greatest early Roman historian, wrote that Christus (Greek for Christ) had lived during the reign of Tiberius and “suffered under Pontius Pilate, that Jesus’ teachings had already spread to Rome; and that Christians were considered criminals and tortured in a variety of ways, including crucifixion.”10

    Suetonius (a.d. 69-130) wrote of “Chrestus” as an instigator. Most scholars believe this is a reference to Christ. Suetonius also wrote of Christians having been persecuted by Nero in a.d. 64.11

    Pliny the Younger was an imperial magistrate under Emperor Trajan. In a.d. 112, Pliny wrote to Trajan of his attempts to force Christians to renounce Christ, whom they “worshiped as a god.”

    Emperor Trajan (a.d. 56-117) wrote letters mentioning Jesus and early Christian origins.

    Several early pagan writers briefly mention Jesus or Christians prior to the end of the second century. These include Thallus, Phlegon, Mara Bar-Serapion and Lucian of Samosate.13 Thallus’ remarks about Jesus were written in a.d. 52, about twenty years after Christ.

    How is it a full century, hmmm?

  7. #917
    Veteran Member aboutenough's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    54,277
    Thanks
    2920

    From
    Washington state
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    I have done the research, aboutenough, so bullshit someone else. A full century. That is how long passed before a single Greek, or Roman historian, philosopher, statesman, or poet so much as mention the name of Jesus. The Bible cannot corroborate its self, and there is not a single corroborative reference for another full century. No matter how much you want to try to argue around that, it is a fact that you cannot dispute.
    Is there a time table with historians where they must report something by a certain date or it reaches a statute of limitations? Just wondering where this rule came from so we can apply it to all historical events. The Bible is not just one book, but 66 books all for corroboration.

  8. #918
    Veteran Member Michael J's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    13,010
    Thanks
    5064

    From
    China
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    Just using the same logic as Michael J. Choose to ignore evidence because its not an event he cares to explore. No human has disproved evidence of Christ, in fact all Atheist that have attempted to disprove the Bible have either failed or ended up discovering the truth and became believers. The Book and Movie the “Case For Christ” was one of those instances
    Let's see the evidence that I ignored. Historians proved Josephus's passage about Christ a forgery many years ago. There is neither archaeological evidence of Christ's tomb nor evidence of his corpse with punctured wrists. There is no way of proving anything supernatural, and Christ's resurrection is supernatural.

    Atheists can't disprove the Holy Bible in the same way they can't disprove the Easter Bunny's existence. The story known as The Case for Christ isn't evidence of God. It is just your way of Social Referencing. The burden of proof is on Christians to prove the Holy Bible.
    Last edited by Michael J; 13th January 2018 at 08:14 AM.

  9. #919
    Veteran Member Michael J's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    13,010
    Thanks
    5064

    From
    China
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    You have faith NASA collected rocks from the moon, but were you there to see them collected?
    Says the kid who believes in a supernatural puppet master in the sky, and a guy's ability to rise from the dead and fly.

    The rocks are in natural history museums for your viewing. Astrophysics departments can show you their studies proving the rocks' authenticity.

    Listen to your Non sequitur:

    Premise 1: Michael J wasn't there to see the astronauts collect the moon rocks.
    -----
    Conclusion: The moon rocks aren't real.

  10. #920
    Veteran Member Michael J's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    13,010
    Thanks
    5064

    From
    China
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    Is there a time table with historians where they must report something by a certain date or it reaches a statute of limitations? Just wondering where this rule came from so we can apply it to all historical events. The Bible is not just one book, but 66 books all for corroboration.
    The books in the Holy Bible aren't historical records. They are not based on any primary sources like history books are.

    There are ten books in Mission Earth. There are three books in Lord of the Rings. There are seven books in the Dark Tower series. How can you distinguish the Holy Bible from the Dark Tower, Mission Earth and Lord of the Rings?
    Last edited by Michael J; 13th January 2018 at 08:13 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Rational reason to believe in God?
    By Communist Rationalist in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 26th July 2013, 09:01 PM
  2. Ask the Last Rational Man
    By JayMick in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 3rd February 2012, 04:41 PM
  3. Is there a Rational Ground for Morality?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10th April 2009, 12:20 AM
  4. Belief in God is rational
    By Vetruvius in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 18th February 2009, 07:56 AM

Search tags for this page

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed