Members banned from this thread: zaangalewa


Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 73
Thanks Tree36Thanks

Thread: I am an atheist

  1. #1
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35,477
    Thanks
    17709

    From
    Phoenix, AZ

    I am an atheist

    If you are hungry, I will offer you food.
    If you are thirsty, I will offer water.
    If you are cold, I will offer warmth.
    If you are in need, ask and I will give.
    If you are in trouble, ask and I will help.

    I do not do this things in hope of being rewarded, or out of fear of being punished. I do these things, because I know them to be right. I set my own standards, and I, alone, enforce them...

    ...I am an atheist.
    Thanks from Friday13, Leo2, Djinn and 2 others

  2. #2
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    61,666
    Thanks
    11225

    From
    By the wall
    We Christians would never do any of those things.

  3. #3
    Vexatious Correspondent Leo2's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,813
    Thanks
    3728

    From
    UK/Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    We Christians would never do any of those things.
    Lol, many a true word is spoken in jest, but I don't believe that to be the case in this instance. Christian, Jew, Muslim, Shintoist, Wiccan or atheist - human beings are born with empathy for their fellow creatures - human or otherwise. Religion is an artifact which can be used for good or evil, tolerance or intolerance, inclusion or exclusion, and the more fundamentalist the beliefs - the more extreme the attitudes and possible consequences.
    Thanks from Czernobog, EnigmaO01 and Friday13

  4. #4
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35,477
    Thanks
    17709

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    We Christians would never do any of those things.
    At no time did I suggest such. I am, however, pointing out that believe in a mythology is not necessary to develop such a moral code.
    Thanks from Friday13 and Isalexi

  5. #5
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    12,827
    Thanks
    3130

    From
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    If you are hungry, I will offer you food.
    If you are thirsty, I will offer water.
    If you are cold, I will offer warmth.
    If you are in need, ask and I will give.
    If you are in trouble, ask and I will help.

    I do not do this things in hope of being rewarded, or out of fear of being punished. I do these things, because I know them to be right. I set my own standards, and I, alone, enforce them...

    ...I am an atheist.
    Mr. Czernobog,

    Yes, we can tell by they way, within five minutes of entering a room, you tell everybody you are one and then tell them they are stupid for being people of faith.
    Last edited by Kallie Knoetze; 3rd January 2018 at 10:43 AM.

  6. #6
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    37,834
    Thanks
    35647

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo2 View Post
    Christian, Jew, Muslim, Shintoist, Wiccan or atheist - human beings are born with empathy for their fellow creatures - human or otherwise.
    Most of us are, but not all of us.
    Thanks from EnigmaO01 and Friday13

  7. #7
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35,477
    Thanks
    17709

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallie Knoetze View Post
    Mr. Czernobog,

    Yes, we all noticed that within five minutes of entering a room you tell everybody that and then tell them they are stupid for being people of faith.
    I have never called anyone stupid for "being people of faith". I have said that their faith is irrational, and contrary to reason. There's a difference.
    Thanks from EnigmaO01 and Friday13

  8. #8
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35,477
    Thanks
    17709

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    Most of us are, but not all of us.
    Well, this is true. However, the sociopath - a person incapable of empathy - is not going to be "cured" by religion any more than they are by psychology. As they are the aberration, I don't think they really represent a standard of behaviour.

  9. #9
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    12,827
    Thanks
    3130

    From
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    I have never called anyone stupid for "being people of faith". I have said that their faith is irrational, and contrary to reason. There's a difference.
    Mr. Czernobog,

    Thank you for supporting my point, i.e., that atheists tend to be closed minded a-holes.

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35,477
    Thanks
    17709

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallie Knoetze View Post
    Mr. Czernobog,

    Thank you for supporting my point, i.e., that atheists tend to be closed minded a-holes.
    That wasn't your point. At least, if it was, you made it poorly. You posted a lie about me, I corrected the lie, and your response is to pretend that I confirmed the lie.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The atheist's prayer
    By meridian5455 in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 24th March 2016, 01:59 PM
  2. IYO, Can An Atheist Please God?
    By Madeline in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 128
    Last Post: 17th December 2015, 08:24 AM
  3. Ask an atheist anything ...
    By muffins in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 151
    Last Post: 11th September 2012, 05:39 AM
  4. Everyone Is An Atheist
    By TortoiseDream in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 3rd July 2010, 12:33 PM
  5. A question for the Atheist
    By BFSmith764 in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 112
    Last Post: 10th December 2007, 12:03 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed