Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 51
Thanks Tree14Thanks

Thread: Eric the Magic Pengruin

  1. #41
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35,154
    Thanks
    17522

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiocracat View Post
    I wonder what Eric marinates god in to make god palatable.
    Fairy dust, and dwarven ale?
    Thanks from Idiocracat and StanStill

  2. #42
    Anarquistador StanStill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    9,462
    Thanks
    9402

    From
    Home
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    You do know that we have extensive scientific evidence of what occurs in the brain when a person "falls in love", right? We can also trace the bio-chemical reactions involved in familial, and erotic love. So, yes, there is objective verifiable evidence of what one is experiencing when one claims to have such emotions. There is also behaviour cues, and indices.

    Interestingly enough, we can similarly track the biochemistry of religious ecstasy. However, there has yet to be any evidence of anything external such as God.
    That was exactly my point. We can see physiological reactions in the person who is experiencing feelings of love, but none of those measurements get the scientist any closer to truly understanding what love is. The same is true of humor. A mechanical, ďevidence basedĒ approach will always be incomplete. The only way one truly understands them is to experience them.

  3. #43
    Anarquistador StanStill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    9,462
    Thanks
    9402

    From
    Home
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiocracat View Post
    I wonder what Eric marinates god in to make god palatable.
    Holy water?
    Thanks from Idiocracat

  4. #44
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35,154
    Thanks
    17522

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by StanStill View Post
    That was exactly my point. We can see physiological reactions in the person who is experiencing feelings of love, but none of those measurements get the scientist any closer to truly understanding what love is. The same is true of humor. A mechanical, ďevidence basedĒ approach will always be incomplete. The only way one truly understands them is to experience them.
    Okay. And your point being...? If it is "The only way to 'understand' God is to experience Him" then my response would be so what/ I am not asking to understand God; only that I be given objective evidence of the existence of God.

  5. #45
    Anarquistador StanStill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    9,462
    Thanks
    9402

    From
    Home
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    Okay. And your point being...? If it is "The only way to 'understand' God is to experience Him" then my response would be so what/ I am not asking to understand God; only that I be given objective evidence of the existence of God.
    Donít get me wrong. I donít experience it. I donít feel that Iím going to be reunited with my parents and friends when I die, but I canít see a reason to belittle the people who do.

    Why should I care?

  6. #46
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35,154
    Thanks
    17522

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by StanStill View Post
    Donít get me wrong. I donít experience it. I donít feel that Iím going to be reunited with my parents and friends when I die, but I canít see a reason to belittle the people who do.

    Why should I care?
    Because so long as no one will speak out for the advancement of reason over faith, then the archaic religions of the world will continue their stranglehold on our children, will continue to foster superstition, and patriarchal repression of people, and will continue to stand in the way of progress, and science. You may be okay with that. I am not.

  7. #47
    Established Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,798
    Thanks
    293

    From
    Irrelevant
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    Soooo...you admit that you believe in God based solely on faith without evidence? Okay. Any premise that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
    Finally! After all your philosophical bungling in this forum, you have stumbled upon something worthwhile.

    Axioms and postulates are statements that are taken to be true WITHOUT THE BENEFIT OF PROOF. They serve as the starting point upon which fields of inquiry -- like mathematics, science, predicate logic, and yes, theology, are built on.

    For instance, in mathematics, the commutative principle if a=b, b=c, then a=c holds without proof.

    However, in the philosophy of mathematics, it is valid to question whether the commutative principle is actually true or not.

  8. #48
    Established Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,798
    Thanks
    293

    From
    Irrelevant
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    Because so long as no one will speak out for the advancement of reason over faith, then the archaic religions of the world will continue their stranglehold on our children, will continue to foster superstition, and patriarchal repression of people, and will continue to stand in the way of progress, and science. You may be okay with that. I am not.
    Do you mind I test exactly how advanced your reason is, then?

    How do you reconcile the laws of motion if a prime mover or an uncaused cause doesn't exist, hmmmm?

  9. #49
    Anarquistador StanStill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    9,462
    Thanks
    9402

    From
    Home
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    Because so long as no one will speak out for the advancement of reason over faith, then the archaic religions of the world will continue their stranglehold on our children, will continue to foster superstition, and patriarchal repression of people, and will continue to stand in the way of progress, and science. You may be okay with that. I am not.
    But science and technology are advancing at an exponential rate. I suppose we could lament that science and technology would be advancing even faster if the backwards people who would have never become scientists in the first place would quit believing in mythological stories. Beyond those backward bumpkins, we're talking about people who don't really believe in the biblical stories, but still believe there is "something" that created existence, and there is something beyond the tangible physical universe. It's completely vague, and for most people, just something they hope to be true to keep them from falling into despair over the meaningless of existence. Stranglehold on children? You're being silly. Everyone is free to walk away from whatever religion they are raised in.

    Stepping back, it's hard to argue that the influence of religion is growing in western society. It's simply not.

  10. #50
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35,154
    Thanks
    17522

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by StanStill View Post
    But science and technology are advancing at an exponential rate. I suppose we could lament that science and technology would be advancing even faster if the backwards people who would have never become scientists in the first place would quit believing in mythological stories. Beyond those backward bumpkins, we're talking about people who don't really believe in the biblical stories, but still believe there is "something" that created existence, and there is something beyond the tangible physical universe. It's completely vague, and for most people, just something they hope to be true to keep them from falling into despair over the meaningless of existence. Stranglehold on children? You're being silly. Everyone is free to walk away from whatever religion they are raised in.

    Stepping back, it's hard to argue that the influence of religion is growing in western society. It's simply not.
    We could be progressing faster if those backward people would stop trying to hinder the process. Stem Cell research, cloning, the list goes on, and on of scientific study that could advance if superstitious theists would just get. Out. of the fucking way. And, until they do, I, and other atheists who are no longer afraid of being silenced by religion will continue to speak out against superstition, and fear-mongering religion.

    And it's not just about scientific advancement. Socially we would be so much better off if we didn't have religious fear-mongerers constantly reminding us that we're different, and should fear those not like us. Christians hate homosexuals, Hindus have an entire caste of people they despise, Muslims hate everyone who isn't Muslim. Women are less than men. Etc, etc, etc. So, yes. I will keep advancing the cause of reason over faith until faith becomes the laughed at minority in the corner that no one gives a shit about any more.

    I don't want faith to disappear - or, more accurately, I don't care if faith disappears, or not - I just want it impotent.
    Last edited by Czernobog; 12th January 2018 at 10:03 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 5th August 2017, 06:27 PM
  2. Replies: 182
    Last Post: 16th June 2016, 02:33 PM
  3. Magic paper!
    By Sassy in forum Current Events
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 17th November 2015, 04:05 PM
  4. magic number
    By yuri zhivago in forum Current Events
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2nd October 2013, 08:13 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed