Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 123
Thanks Tree33Thanks

Thread: Why?

  1. #1
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35,477
    Thanks
    17709

    From
    Phoenix, AZ

    Why?

    Why is the first reaction to anyone who criticises a religion - particularly Christianity - is "You hate Christianity," or some variation thereof? I mean, Christians consistently criticise homosexuality, yet they get offended if it is even hinted that they are homophobic, or hate homosexuals. Why would criticism of religion be any different?

    Fair warning, any response that is an attack of the poster ("You know you hate Christians", etc) will simply be ignored. Honest discussion only welcomed.
    Thanks from Friday13

  2. #2
    Populist Rabblerouser Ronin Tetsuro's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    17,172
    Thanks
    1036

    From
    Broadcast Depth
    The religious, especially Christians, are programmed to believe in their own persecution as a rule. It's good for business.
    Thanks from Friday13

  3. #3
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35,477
    Thanks
    17709

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Tetsuro View Post
    The religious, especially Christians, are programmed to believe in their own persecution as a rule. It's good for business.
    Given the absolute similarity in the words of nearly every Christian when their religious presumptions are challenged, I'm tempted to agree.
    Thanks from Friday13

  4. #4
    Shitposting Rank 4 Missle Command Champion johnflesh's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    21,035
    Thanks
    11258

    From
    Colorado
    Because they feel threatened. (same thing goes with homosexuality).

    I'm not defending it, but that's the truth.
    Thanks from Czernobog

  5. #5
    Populist Rabblerouser Ronin Tetsuro's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    17,172
    Thanks
    1036

    From
    Broadcast Depth
    I was a Christian long enough to see that it's part and parcel of how Churches do business, to make the crowd believe that the second they leave the building they are under attack from any and everyone. The pastor likes to whip em up into a good lather right before he sends around the tithe plate. Smart business move, but more than a little slimy for my tastes.
    Thanks from Czernobog and Friday13

  6. #6
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35,477
    Thanks
    17709

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by johnflesh View Post
    Because they feel threatened. (same thing goes with homosexuality).

    I'm not defending it, but that's the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Tetsuro View Post
    I was a Christian long enough to see that it's part and parcel of how Churches do business, to make the crowd believe that the second they leave the building they are under attack from any and everyone. The pastor likes to whip em up into a good lather right before he sends around the tithe plate. Smart business move, but more than a little slimy for my tastes.
    I think you, and John are, basically, talking about the same thing. John is making an observation of the emotion that "Joe Christian" is feeling, while you are illustrating how the church leadership encourages that feeling of fear, and persecution.

  7. #7
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35,477
    Thanks
    17709

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    I notice a whole lot of "They", and not a single "I", or "we". Seems the Christians here don't feel the need to explain their positions, so we're just left with a lot of speculation.
    Thanks from Friday13

  8. #8
    Populist Rabblerouser Ronin Tetsuro's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    17,172
    Thanks
    1036

    From
    Broadcast Depth
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    Seems the Christians here don't feel the need to explain their positions
    I'd say that's an accurate description of Christians, yes.

  9. #9
    HayJenn Fan Boi knight's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    8,626
    Thanks
    7918

    From
    Galaxy ZRF
    They sell fear. It's their product. In order to avoid Hell, join our church and we will show you the way...for a price.
    Thanks from Hollywood, Ronin Tetsuro and Friday13

  10. #10
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,587
    Thanks
    213

    From
    Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    Why is the first reaction to anyone who criticises a religion - particularly Christianity - is "You hate Christianity," ...
    Perhaps because you say a lot of hateful bullshit about Christians.

    Last edited by zaangalewa; 3rd February 2018 at 05:27 AM.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Facebook Twitter RSS Feed