Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38
Thanks Tree23Thanks

Thread: A Crucial Fault

  1. #1
    Established Member libertariat720's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    7,950
    Thanks
    2534

    From
    ohio

    A Crucial Fault

    I'd like to open a discussion on a thought I had and have heard others talk about.

    When people disagree with each other, they tend to believe that the other side is not only wrong, but evil. And that notion is a major cause in a lot of the conflicts we see today. It is a crucial fault and also is universal across cultures it seems. For example, the wars in the Middle East, with the different factions of Muslims (Shia and Sunni). Each side is killing the other because they think they are fighting evil. People who follow the exact same religion are literally killing each other because of their different beliefs within that religion. That sounds insane to me.

    Do you agree that this flaw in reasoning is a main cause of a lot of the violence going on today? Is there anything we can do to work on it? And where does this all stem from?
    Thanks from Blueneck

  2. #2
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    92,553
    Thanks
    69665

    From
    <-- "Meme Boy"
    Quote Originally Posted by libertariat720 View Post
    I'd like to open a discussion on a thought I had and have heard others talk about.

    When people disagree with each other, they tend to believe that the other side is not only wrong, but evil. And that notion is a major cause in a lot of the conflicts we see today. It is a crucial fault and also is universal across cultures it seems. For example, the wars in the Middle East, with the different factions of Muslims (Shia and Sunni). Each side is killing the other because they think they are fighting evil. People who follow the exact same religion are literally killing each other because of their different beliefs within that religion. That sounds insane to me.

    Do you agree that this flaw in reasoning is a main cause of a lot of the violence going on today? Is there anything we can do to work on it? And where does this all stem from?
    Not everyone thinks that way. It's true though in many cases. In our own country, you see it with the more partisan and over-emotional contributors to the political discourse. Them, and those who have something to gain from being divisive.

    Most people, Americans included, are good and decent people regardless of their ideology. There was a time not long ago when we didn't care who our neighbors, friends, or co-workers voted for in the last election. Now, it's often the first thing we find out about someone.
    Thanks from labrea and Blues63

  3. #3
    Senior Member NeoVsMatrix's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    8,018
    Thanks
    6840

    From
    NY
    Quote Originally Posted by libertariat720 View Post
    I'd like to open a discussion on a thought I had and have heard others talk about.

    When people disagree with each other, they tend to believe that the other side is not only wrong, but evil. And that notion is a major cause in a lot of the conflicts we see today. It is a crucial fault and also is universal across cultures it seems. For example, the wars in the Middle East, with the different factions of Muslims (Shia and Sunni). Each side is killing the other because they think they are fighting evil. People who follow the exact same religion are literally killing each other because of their different beliefs within that religion. That sounds insane to me.

    Do you agree that this flaw in reasoning is a main cause of a lot of the violence going on today? Is there anything we can do to work on it? And where does this all stem from?
    I don't see violence - except for heated and at times silly verbal fights - when it comes to global warming.
    Neither do i see violence when it comes to the discussion around gun control.
    people are fighting - verbally - about each and every politics topic these days, and fail to listen to each other, or to be open to any of the other sides argument. That i will give you. But i have not seen this result in physical violence, at least not here in the US ( there are sometimes funny bits to be seen when fists are flying in some foreign countries parliaments..)

    As per your example given... well, yes, religion, still entices physical violence and death.. that's a given. And that is insane, i agree with that as well.
    Now, i let you take your own conclusion as to WHAT it is that makes a difference between people arguing, and people killing ? yet you've been at the right pattern with your example already.

  4. #4
    Established Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,069
    Thanks
    306

    From
    Irrelevant
    Quote Originally Posted by libertariat720 View Post
    I'd like to open a discussion on a thought I had and have heard others talk about.

    When people disagree with each other, they tend to believe that the other side is not only wrong, but evil. And that notion is a major cause in a lot of the conflicts we see today. It is a crucial fault and also is universal across cultures it seems. For example, the wars in the Middle East, with the different factions of Muslims (Shia and Sunni). Each side is killing the other because they think they are fighting evil. People who follow the exact same religion are literally killing each other because of their different beliefs within that religion. That sounds insane to me.

    Do you agree that this flaw in reasoning is a main cause of a lot of the violence going on today? Is there anything we can do to work on it? And where does this all stem from?
    Why do you presume that the conflicts in the middle east are about religion in the first place? Is it not possible that these conflicts are politically-motivated despite people making it out as something that it isn't?

    Because if you insist that religion is the root cause of these conflicts as some people make them out to be, one could just as easily ask what about freedom and democracy compels the us from engaging in wars halfway across the world?
    Thanks from Madeline

  5. #5
    Veteran Member Moorhuhn Wanted Champion Hollywood's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    68,228
    Thanks
    32764

    From
    Memphis, Tn.
    Quote Originally Posted by libertariat720 View Post
    I'd like to open a discussion on a thought I had and have heard others talk about.

    When people disagree with each other, they tend to believe that the other side is not only wrong, but evil. And that notion is a major cause in a lot of the conflicts we see today. It is a crucial fault and also is universal across cultures it seems. For example, the wars in the Middle East, with the different factions of Muslims (Shia and Sunni). Each side is killing the other because they think they are fighting evil. People who follow the exact same religion are literally killing each other because of their different beliefs within that religion. That sounds insane to me.

    Do you agree that this flaw in reasoning is a main cause of a lot of the violence going on today? Is there anything we can do to work on it? And where does this all stem from?
    Conflict is always going to be profitable for someone. If nothing else it is profitable for the people reporting the conflict.
    Thanks from Madeline, Friday13 and labrea

  6. #6
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    55,953
    Thanks
    32068

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by libertariat720 View Post
    I'd like to open a discussion on a thought I had and have heard others talk about.

    When people disagree with each other, they tend to believe that the other side is not only wrong, but evil. And that notion is a major cause in a lot of the conflicts we see today. It is a crucial fault and also is universal across cultures it seems. For example, the wars in the Middle East, with the different factions of Muslims (Shia and Sunni). Each side is killing the other because they think they are fighting evil. People who follow the exact same religion are literally killing each other because of their different beliefs within that religion. That sounds insane to me.

    Do you agree that this flaw in reasoning is a main cause of a lot of the violence going on today? Is there anything we can do to work on it? And where does this all stem from?
    Yes and no. I believe actual evil exists as part of any adult human's repetoire of behavior choices (unless they are in a coma, etc.) IOW, I do not think all "bad acts" are expressions of mental illness, etc.

    We have two problems in chronic conflicts like the ME, as best I can tell. Actual evil leaders are seducing the young adults who look up to them to commit evil themselves, such as ISIS setting gay people on fire.

    And we have a failure of empathy, lack of information, failure of imagination. The leaders keep telling their followers that those targeted are "not like us", not "pleasing to God", not just as fully human as they themselves are.

    I don't think either problem can be "cured". But it can be reduced, if the right set of circumstances align.

  7. #7
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    55,953
    Thanks
    32068

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by boontito View Post
    Not everyone thinks that way. It's true though in many cases. In our own country, you see it with the more partisan and over-emotional contributors to the political discourse. Them, and those who have something to gain from being divisive.

    Most people, Americans included, are good and decent people regardless of their ideology. There was a time not long ago when we didn't care who our neighbors, friends, or co-workers voted for in the last election. Now, it's often the first thing we find out about someone.
    I disagree. I think the quantum of human decency is low, has always been low, and hasn't changed since homo sapiens first walked upright. The Roman Coliseum's audience is no different from us.

    But people are less violent when they are fed, housed and secure. THAT is why the "American decency" myth has legs.
    Thanks from Friday13

  8. #8
    Established Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,069
    Thanks
    306

    From
    Irrelevant
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Conflict is always going to be profitable for someone. If nothing else it is profitable for the people reporting the conflict.
    So profit is the root cause of conflict -- and by extension, private property?

  9. #9
    Established Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,069
    Thanks
    306

    From
    Irrelevant
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Conflict is always going to be profitable for someone. If nothing else it is profitable for the people reporting the conflict.
    So profit is the root cause of conflict -- and by extension, private property?

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    55,953
    Thanks
    32068

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
    So profit is the root cause of conflict -- and by extension, private property?
    Power. Wealth. Pleasure.

    Taken by force at your fellow man's expense.
    Thanks from Hollywood and Friday13

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 63
    Last Post: 11th December 2014, 03:50 AM
  2. Obamacare and Latinos: why a crucial constituency is wary of signing up
    By meridian5455 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 25th January 2014, 03:18 PM
  3. Not Obama's fault? Then whose fault is it???
    By Taylor2012 in forum Current Events
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 27th July 2013, 10:33 AM
  4. How to avoid a repeat, and why it's crucial to do so.
    By Truth Detector in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 2nd January 2007, 10:53 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed