Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
Thanks Tree1Thanks

Thread: The Anschutz Foundation

  1. #1
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35,477
    Thanks
    17710

    From
    Phoenix, AZ

    The Anschutz Foundation

    Ya know, theists are constantly challenging atheists to "point to one" atheist/secular organisation that has a positive influence on society. Well, I give you the Anschutz Foundation. Most people would know them through their media project - Foundation For a Better Life. Their hope is that "that "the values we share transcend any particular religion or nationality". However, that is just one of the things that Anschutz does.

    https://www.insidephilanthropy.com/h...education.html

    So, there you go. A massive philanthropic venture that has nothing to do with religion.

  2. #2
    Established Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    7,177
    Thanks
    315

    From
    Irrelevant
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    Ya know, theists are constantly challenging atheists to "point to one" atheist/secular organisation that has a positive influence on society. Well, I give you the Anschutz Foundation. Most people would know them through their media project - Foundation For a Better Life. Their hope is that "that "the values we share transcend any particular religion or nationality". However, that is just one of the things that Anschutz does.

    https://www.insidephilanthropy.com/h...education.html

    So, there you go. A massive philanthropic venture that has nothing to do with religion.
    What makes you think that a non-religious philanthropic venture is necessarily atheist, hmmmm?

    Christian charity comes from christian imperatives (or anyone who agrees with christian imperatives).

    Does your atheist charity come from some hitherto unknown atheist imperative?

  3. #3
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35,477
    Thanks
    17710

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
    What makes you think that a non-religious philanthropic venture is necessarily atheist, hmmmm?

    Christian charity comes from christian imperatives (or anyone who agrees with christian imperatives).

    Does your atheist charity come from some hitherto unknown atheist imperative?
    Why must there be an "imperative"? I feed homeless people not because there is some moral imperative that demands that I do so. I do it just because it feels better than being an asshole.

  4. #4
    Anarquistador StanStill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    10,660
    Thanks
    11193

    From
    Work
    I gotta say for an atheist organization, it does raise my eyebrows...

    Here, we share a few things to know about how Anschutz approaches education giving.

    1. Supporting Charter Schools is Key

    Philip Anschutz is yet another billionaire who believes that charter schools are a key way to tackle America's education challenges....
    So they're not above believing things are "Key" even with scant evidence to support that notion. Whatever. It's arguable but I get the feeling that his billionaire status informs his belief that charter schools are key.

    2. Anschutz Money Also Reaches Students and Schools Through Values Work
    Wait... "Values" work? They don't mean that in a religious sense, do they?

    By "values," Anschutz often means an emphasis on faith and family, and he's a big backer of religious work.
    Ummm... did you link to the wrong organization?

  5. #5
    RNG
    RNG is offline
    Senior Member RNG's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    11,027
    Thanks
    6709

    From
    Between everywhere
    Quote Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
    What makes you think that a non-religious philanthropic venture is necessarily atheist, hmmmm?

    Christian charity comes from christian imperatives (or anyone who agrees with christian imperatives).

    Does your atheist charity come from some hitherto unknown atheist imperative?
    Yes, the atheist belief in morals and ethics, not to mention the golden rule for its own sake, not because your loving god will perform horrible tortures upon you for eternity and a half if you don't jump through his hoops and kiss his behind.

    Is that kind of coerced charity really charity?
    Thanks from Czernobog

  6. #6
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35,477
    Thanks
    17710

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by StanStill View Post
    I gotta say for an atheist organization, it does raise my eyebrows...



    So they're not above believing things are "Key" even with scant evidence to support that notion. Whatever. It's arguable but I get the feeling that his billionaire status informs his belief that charter schools are key.



    Wait... "Values" work? They don't mean that in a religious sense, do they?



    Ummm... did you link to the wrong organization?
    No. Not in a religious sense. Have you ever seen any of the Foundation for A Better Life commercials?



    They encourage being a decent person just because it feels better than being an asshole. Which is what I have said all along is the motivation for living as a decent human being. No God necessary.

    That's the whole point of the work of the Anschutlz Foundation - that religion, and God isn't necessary to have a sense of morals, and values. Just not wanting to be an asshole is good enough. "Pass it on,"

  7. #7
    Anarquistador StanStill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    10,660
    Thanks
    11193

    From
    Work
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    No. Not in a religious sense. Have you ever seen any of the Foundation for A Better Life commercials?

    They encourage being a decent person just because it feels better than being an asshole. Which is what I have said all along is the motivation for living as a decent human being. No God necessary.
    Well, okay, but why do they say "By 'values' Anschutz often means an emphasis on faith and family, and he's a big backer of religious work."

  8. #8
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35,477
    Thanks
    17710

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by StanStill View Post
    Well, okay, but why do they say "By 'values' Anschutz often means an emphasis on faith and family, and he's a big backer of religious work."
    I would submit that this is a characteristic that you are putting on the word. You are an atheist. Are you saying that you do not have a sense of morals, and values?

  9. #9
    Anarquistador StanStill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    10,660
    Thanks
    11193

    From
    Work
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    I would submit that this is a characteristic that you are putting on the word. You are an atheist. Are you saying that you do not have a sense of morals, and values?
    Me? That's a quote from the page you posted in the OP. They are the ones that say, in their own website, that they promote faith and are a big backer of religious work. Not me.

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35,477
    Thanks
    17710

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by StanStill View Post
    Me? That's a quote from the page you posted in the OP. They are the ones that say, in their own website, that they promote faith and are a big backer of religious work. Not me.
    Well, shit. I should have dug a little deeper. Looks like the sources I had that claimed he was atheist were...misinformed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Clinton Foundation
    By MaryAnne in forum Current Events
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29th September 2016, 02:56 AM
  2. Heritage Foundation
    By Midwest Media Critic in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 19th July 2010, 01:12 PM
  3. Tea party Foundation??
    By angryamerican in forum Economics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 9th April 2010, 07:32 AM
  4. What is the foundation of mankind?
    By Robodoon in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 6th December 2007, 06:33 AM
  5. The Foundation of America
    By Inkslinger in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 18th July 2006, 09:02 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed