Page 17 of 49 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 481
Thanks Tree199Thanks

Thread: Speaking in tongues

  1. #161
    Moderator HCProf's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    20,273
    Thanks
    10729

    From
    USA
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    I get along fine with genuinely devout religious people. It's the people who only want to use a false claim of religious affiliation as an excuse for their hateful attitudes and bad behavior that get on my nerves.
    Same here. I hate hypocrisy as well. Religion should be about love...such as "Love thy neighbor" My Mom always advised me..."when all else fails, try love" That has worked for me my whole life.

  2. #162
    Veteran Member aboutenough's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    54,288
    Thanks
    2921

    From
    Washington state
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    You have not offered evidence. You cannot use a religious text to prove that the religious text is true. Your "New Testament" is a religious book, not a history book.
    Is that why you don't believe in the Torah. You have no historical evidence?

  3. #163
    Veteran Member Michael J's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    13,025
    Thanks
    5073

    From
    China
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    Here's what it really mean. He post a statement, I read his statement. I disagree with his statement and post quotes of his statement with my reply. He says his statement doesn't say what I think it says. I ask him what it means. He replies, "I am lying and trolling". He plays word games trying to frustrate me rather then getting to the point. He is not frustrating me, that's what frustrates him. He's just a gamer.
    I still don't see any direct quotes. You're still lying.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey and Friday13

  4. #164
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    58,842
    Thanks
    28829

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    Is that why you don't believe in the Torah. You have no historical evidence?
    My beliefs are irrelevant - it is you representing your beliefs as provable fact, not I. You have no evidence of any kind, despite your desperate need for it.
    Thanks from Friday13 and Michael J

  5. #165
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    58,842
    Thanks
    28829

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J View Post
    I still don't see any direct quotes. You're still lying.
    And he will never stop.
    Thanks from Friday13 and Michael J

  6. #166
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    30,166
    Thanks
    3818

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    There are very few such people. Their existence and presence has been magnified by those angry at a Constitution that precludes civil enforcement of religious laws and precepts.
    And yet, Religious rights ARE civil rights. They are limited, but they are right there in the 1st amendment. Congress can not make laws that restrict religious expression unless such expression violates other civil rights. Therein lies the rub. According to you, a highly skilled artist who makes masterpieces must fill all his orders to gay customers first and muzzle his own beliefs or face legal action.

  7. #167
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    58,842
    Thanks
    28829

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by kmiller1610 View Post
    And yet, Religious rights ARE civil rights. They are limited, but they are right there in the 1st amendment.
    And completely unrelated to any case under discussion here.

    Quote Originally Posted by kmiller1610 View Post
    According to you, a highly skilled artist who makes masterpieces must fill all his orders to gay customers first and muzzle his own beliefs or face legal action.
    His beliefs are not relevant to what he has been asked to do.
    Thanks from Friday13

  8. #168
    HayJenn Fan Boi knight's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    8,610
    Thanks
    7879

    From
    Galaxy ZRF
    Quote Originally Posted by HCProf View Post
    Have you ever been to a Mass where it was conducted in Italian...or Polish? I have and did not consider it a big deal. It was actually a interesting experience. What difference does it make how people choose to pray within the confinement of a church. They are not speaking in tongues in public. I have seen other religions pray publicly, loudly and I could care less. It doesn't bother me that I don't understand what they are saying because it is none of my business of what they want to do. I think it would be a good idea for you to experience diversity in religion and you will find they are all not that different in their rituals. You seem to focus on primitive practices that are in your local area but there is a whole big world out there as far as religion and since you have such a interest in religion, explore your horizons. If you don't like the practice of people speaking in tongues, just avoid those churches because you will never see that in a public place like a rest area.
    While you have a point, we must also remember that there are many, nany people who speak Polish and Italian, and not a hell of lot who speak "tongues". So, the masses you refer to did indeed have some in the audience who understood them.

    No one would understand a gibberish mass.

  9. #169
    Veteran Member aboutenough's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    54,288
    Thanks
    2921

    From
    Washington state
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    My beliefs are irrelevant - it is you representing your beliefs as provable fact, not I. You have no evidence of any kind, despite your desperate need for it.
    That’s for sure, your beliefs have always been irrelevant, almost non existent

  10. #170
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    58,842
    Thanks
    28829

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutenough View Post
    That’s for sure, your beliefs have always been irrelevant, almost non existent.
    Wrong. You are again devolving into to personal attacks in order to deflect from the intellectual bankruptcy of your position. Standard procedure for you.

    Furthermore, religion and politics are not the same for me, because I do not find it necessary to punish people for not believing in my religion. You cannot say the same.

Page 17 of 49 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Politically Speaking...
    By Minotaur in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20th December 2017, 11:02 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11th June 2016, 09:07 AM
  3. Speaking up.....More and more....
    By KnotaFrayed in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26th March 2016, 11:11 AM
  4. Speaking of Stormfront....
    By Michele in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 30th December 2014, 07:36 AM
  5. Speaking of FP's................
    By vikingbeast in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 17th October 2013, 04:20 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed