Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 48
Thanks Tree33Thanks

Thread: Pope Tells Atheist: There Is No Hell

  1. #11
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    58,865
    Thanks
    28843

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    That would be hell!
    Indeed, just once is hell.
    Thanks from Madeline and Friday13

  2. #12
    Anarquistador StanStill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    10,107
    Thanks
    10338

    From
    Home
    It's been a while since I read anything on the subject, but it's not unheard of in Catholic theology to dismiss the idea of Hell being an actual destination after we die. I'd say the vast majority completely dismiss the idea if it being a place of eternal pain and torture. That's a specifically medieval conception. Most of our notion of Hell doesn't come from the Bible, but from Milton's Paradise Lost. He based his epic poem on a few verses in the Bible, and his vivid imagination.

    I don't see what the big deal is. Hell can mean a lot of things. How do we know he was just saying he doesn't believe that there is an afterlife of eternal torture as described by Milton with a cast of devil characters and fallen angels? The whole thing is silly, especially for a pope in 2018.
    Thanks from Friday13

  3. #13
    THE PUNDIT DemoWhip's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    8,355
    Thanks
    4830

    From
    In Your Heart!
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    According to his friend, Eugenio Scalfanio, founder of La Republicca newspaper and atheist. He reports this is what Pope Francis said to him at their last meeting, just this month.

    The Vatican is denying the Pope was quoted properly, but is not offering the exact quote.

    When I was young, Catholic dogma held there were four places anyone's soul could go to after death: heaven, hell, purgatory and limbo.

    Now, apparently, there are three fewer.

    Catholic dogma needs a major overhaul, considering.

    Article appears in the March 29th edition of USA Today.

    Your thoughts?
    The pope has been very outspoken on things like that so there is little doubt that he actually said that. Of course Catholic theologians and those closest to the Vatican who do not approve of what the pope says will vehemently deny that he said it. However, we can feel assured that his statements adhere to and follow in line in changing the antiquated ways of the Catholic Church and many of their beliefs. As to whether he is right or wrong on there being a Hell we have the Holy Bible that speaks very clearly that there is very definitely a Hell therefore, be guided by that given that it has been said many times that Catholics do not read or follow the Holy Bible as Protestants do.

  4. #14
    SWED Missle Command Champion johnflesh's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20,906
    Thanks
    11077

    From
    Colorado
    This is a good way to not be asked back to the Vatican. I'm certain this reporter already realizes that.

  5. #15
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    92,781
    Thanks
    69960

    From
    <-- "Meme Boy"
    He has an accent. Maybe he was saying "There is no 'L'". Like, there is no 'I' in team.

    There is no 'L' in Pope Francis.
    Thanks from Friday13

  6. #16
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    55,984
    Thanks
    32091

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by StanStill View Post
    It's been a while since I read anything on the subject, but it's not unheard of in Catholic theology to dismiss the idea of Hell being an actual destination after we die. I'd say the vast majority completely dismiss the idea if it being a place of eternal pain and torture. That's a specifically medieval conception. Most of our notion of Hell doesn't come from the Bible, but from Milton's Paradise Lost. He based his epic poem on a few verses in the Bible, and his vivid imagination.

    I don't see what the big deal is. Hell can mean a lot of things. How do we know he was just saying he doesn't believe that there is an afterlife of eternal torture as described by Milton with a cast of devil characters and fallen angels? The whole thing is silly, especially for a pope in 2018.
    Whut? You heard this from Catholics?

    Roman Catholics?

  7. #17
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    55,984
    Thanks
    32091

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by DemoWhip View Post
    The pope has been very outspoken on things like that so there is little doubt that he actually said that. Of course Catholic theologians and those closest to the Vatican who do not approve of what the pope says will vehemently deny that he said it. However, we can feel assured that his statements adhere to and follow in line in changing the antiquated ways of the Catholic Church and many of their beliefs. As to whether he is right or wrong on there being a Hell we have the Holy Bible that speaks very clearly that there is very definitely a Hell therefore, be guided by that given that it has been said many times that Catholics do not read or follow the Holy Bible as Protestants do.
    True, Catholics follow the dogma, as set forth in the catechism. Interpretation of the bible is not considered within the abilities of most lay people.

    And Catholics believe the Pope is infallible, when he speaks ex cathedra. That has rarely happened and did not happen during this meeting with Scalfino.

    Most Protestants seem to think it's on them to make their own dogma, which must lead to some confusion.

  8. #18
    THE PUNDIT DemoWhip's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    8,355
    Thanks
    4830

    From
    In Your Heart!
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    True, Catholics follow the dogma, as set forth in the catechism. Interpretation of the bible is not considered within the abilities of most lay people.

    And Catholics believe the Pope is infallible, when he speaks ex cathedra. That has rarely happened and did not happen during this meeting with Scalfino.

    Most Protestants seem to think it's on them to make their own dogma, which must lead to some confusion.
    I was brought up a Catholic so I know well what I am talking about. Most of their dogma appeared to be designed to browbeat one into acquiescing to EVERYTHING they told you that you should do. It was very condescending to many people and required very punitive action if you broke their rules. For one, you cannot take Communion if you are divorced or if you do not first confess all of your sins to a priest whom they say has the power to forgive you of your sins. Imagine that. Only he can't only God can do that. As for the pope, he is just another man. Nothing truly special about the guy. He is simply the head of an organization who is voted in to the highest office much like a president of a corporation is. He feels he can create saints but only God can do that. Thus, that sect was not about love. It appeared to have much discord in it thus, I left. I am glad I did years ago and have never once regretted it.
    Last edited by DemoWhip; 1st April 2018 at 01:35 PM.
    Thanks from Friday13

  9. #19
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    4,313
    Thanks
    4318

    From
    U.S.A.
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Whut? You heard this from Catholics?

    Roman Catholics?
    I remember hearing about this.

    Letters reveal Mother Teresa's doubt about faith

  10. #20
    SWED Missle Command Champion johnflesh's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20,906
    Thanks
    11077

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by boontito View Post
    He has an accent. Maybe he was saying "There is no 'L'". Like, there is no 'I' in team.

    There is no 'L' in Pope Francis.
    There actually is an i in TEAM.

    It's in the a-hole.

    Hahahaha. (look close)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23rd February 2017, 04:44 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 13th December 2015, 01:52 PM
  3. Replies: 69
    Last Post: 8th October 2015, 12:43 AM
  4. There Is No Hell Fire; Adam & Eve Not Real Pope Francis Exposes
    By Rev. Hellh0und in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27th February 2014, 10:41 AM
  5. Pope Tells Mothers to Nurse in Sistine Chapel
    By Babba in forum Current Events
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 13th January 2014, 02:11 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed