Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46
Thanks Tree33Thanks

Thread: Pope Tells Atheist: There Is No Hell

  1. #1
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    55,953
    Thanks
    32068

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio

    Pope Tells Atheist: There Is No Hell

    According to his friend, Eugenio Scalfanio, founder of La Republicca newspaper and atheist. He reports this is what Pope Francis said to him at their last meeting, just this month.

    The Vatican is denying the Pope was quoted properly, but is not offering the exact quote.

    When I was young, Catholic dogma held there were four places anyone's soul could go to after death: heaven, hell, purgatory and limbo.

    Now, apparently, there are three fewer.

    Catholic dogma needs a major overhaul, considering.

    Article appears in the March 29th edition of USA Today.

    Your thoughts?

  2. #2
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    50,185
    Thanks
    38661

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    According to his friend, Eugenio Scalfanio, founder of La Republicca newspaper and atheist. He reports this is what Pope Francis said to him at their last meeting, just this month.

    The Vatican is denying the Pope was quoted properly, but is not offering the exact quote.

    When I was young, Catholic dogma held there were four places anyone's soul could go to after death: heaven, hell, purgatory and limbo.

    Now, apparently, there are three fewer.

    Catholic dogma needs a major overhaul, considering.

    Article appears in the March 29th edition of USA Today.

    Your thoughts?
    Without confirmation of what was said, hard to know

    I'm kind of doubting that Pope said that.
    Thanks from johnflesh and Friday13

  3. #3
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    50,185
    Thanks
    38661

    From
    CA
    VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - The Vatican on Thursday rebuked a well-known Italian journalist who quoted Pope Francis as saying hell does not exist. The Vatican issued a statement after the comments spread on social media, saying they did not properly reflect what the pope had said. Eugenio Scalfari, 93, an avowed atheist who has struck up an intellectual friendship with Francis, met the pope recently and wrote up a long story that included a question-and-answer section at the end.

    The Vatican said the pope did not grant him an interview and the article “was the fruit of his reconstruction” not a “faithful transcription of the Holy Father’s words

    the founder of Italy’s La Repubblica newspaper, has prided himself on not taking notes and not using tape recorders during his encounters with leaders and later reconstructing the meetings to create lengthy articles. According to Scalfari’s article in Thursday’s La Repubblica, he asked the pope where “bad souls” go and where they are punished. Scalfari quoted the pope as saying:

    “They are not punished. Those who repent obtain God’s forgiveness and take their place among the ranks of those who contemplate him, but those who do not repent and cannot be forgiven disappear. A Hell doesn’t exist, the disappearance of sinning souls exists.

    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-p...-idUSKBN1H52H8

    Sounds like to me Scalfari is just trying to gin up some publicity for his newspaper.
    Thanks from Friday13

  4. #4
    Junior Member zaangalewa's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,555
    Thanks
    212

    From
    Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    According to his friend, Eugenio Scalfanio, founder of La Republicca newspaper and atheist. He reports this is what Pope Francis said to him at their last meeting, just this month.

    The Vatican is denying the Pope was quoted properly, but is not offering the exact quote.

    When I was young, Catholic dogma held there were four places anyone's soul could go to after death: heaven, hell, purgatory and limbo.

    Now, apparently, there are three fewer.

    Catholic dogma needs a major overhaul, considering.

    Article appears in the March 29th edition of USA Today.

    Your thoughts?
    Anti-Catholic propaganda.

  5. #5
    spɹɐʍʞɔɐq ʞɹɐp ǝɥʇ Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    20,400
    Thanks
    8634

    From
    Away from sharp objects>
    I agree, there is no Hell. Neither will the earth be destroyed by a wrathful god. Also, when I die, I will not go to a physical "heaven" rather, a place that I could not understand. Pope and eye are on board with no Hell.
    Thanks from libertariat720 and Sassy

  6. #6
    Junior Member zaangalewa's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,555
    Thanks
    212

    From
    Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    I agree, there is no Hell.
    You agree with something Pope Francis never said?

    Neither will the earth be destroyed by a wrathful god. Also, when I die, I will not go to a physical "heaven" rather, a place that I could not understand. Pope and eye are on board with no Hell.
    "... And they that have done good shall go into life everlasting; and they that have done evil, into everlasting fire. ... "
    Athanasian Creed

    My experience shows to me: To do evil creates hells in this world here. The difference: In the hells of this world here are suffering the victims of evildoers. And often the evildoers here are living in luxury.
    Last edited by zaangalewa; 30th March 2018 at 04:51 AM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member NeoVsMatrix's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    8,018
    Thanks
    6840

    From
    NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    According to his friend, Eugenio Scalfanio, founder of La Republicca newspaper and atheist. He reports this is what Pope Francis said to him at their last meeting, just this month.

    The Vatican is denying the Pope was quoted properly, but is not offering the exact quote.

    When I was young, Catholic dogma held there were four places anyone's soul could go to after death: heaven, hell, purgatory and limbo.

    Now, apparently, there are three fewer.

    Catholic dogma needs a major overhaul, considering.

    Article appears in the March 29th edition of USA Today.

    Your thoughts?
    What you mean there's no hell ?
    Where the hell am I going then ?
    Thanks from HayJenn

  8. #8
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    58,325
    Thanks
    28516

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoVsMatrix View Post
    What you mean there's no hell ?
    Where the hell am I going then ?
    An endless trip through the Small World ride at Disneyland.
    Thanks from Madeline, NeoVsMatrix, RNG and 3 others

  9. #9
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    55,953
    Thanks
    32068

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    An endless trip through the Small World ride at Disneyland.
    That would be hell!
    Thanks from BigLeRoy and Friday13

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    55,953
    Thanks
    32068

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by HayJenn View Post
    VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - The Vatican on Thursday rebuked a well-known Italian journalist who quoted Pope Francis as saying hell does not exist. The Vatican issued a statement after the comments spread on social media, saying they did not properly reflect what the pope had said. Eugenio Scalfari, 93, an avowed atheist who has struck up an intellectual friendship with Francis, met the pope recently and wrote up a long story that included a question-and-answer section at the end.

    The Vatican said the pope did not grant him an interview and the article “was the fruit of his reconstruction” not a “faithful transcription of the Holy Father’s words

    the founder of Italy’s La Repubblica newspaper, has prided himself on not taking notes and not using tape recorders during his encounters with leaders and later reconstructing the meetings to create lengthy articles. According to Scalfari’s article in Thursday’s La Repubblica, he asked the pope where “bad souls” go and where they are punished. Scalfari quoted the pope as saying:

    “They are not punished. Those who repent obtain God’s forgiveness and take their place among the ranks of those who contemplate him, but those who do not repent and cannot be forgiven disappear. A Hell doesn’t exist, the disappearance of sinning souls exists.

    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-p...-idUSKBN1H52H8

    Sounds like to me Scalfari is just trying to gin up some publicity for his newspaper.
    Probably. After all, the Pope recently told members of the mafia in Italy that they were going to hell if they persisted in their evil deeds.

    So, yeah. Unlikely.

    But still, it could be true.......
    Last edited by Madeline; 30th March 2018 at 04:29 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23rd February 2017, 04:44 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 13th December 2015, 01:52 PM
  3. Replies: 69
    Last Post: 8th October 2015, 12:43 AM
  4. There Is No Hell Fire; Adam & Eve Not Real – Pope Francis Exposes
    By Rev. Hellh0und in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27th February 2014, 10:41 AM
  5. Pope Tells Mothers to Nurse in Sistine Chapel
    By Babba in forum Current Events
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 13th January 2014, 02:11 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed