Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 51
Thanks Tree49Thanks

Thread: Can you be spiritual without being religious?

  1. #11
    Member Robert Urbanek's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,451
    Thanks
    1479

    From
    Vacaville, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnostic Christian Bishop View Post
    Can you be spiritual without being religious?

    Spirituality might be exemplified by this quote.
    John 6 ; 63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

    One can practice spirituality alone. One cannot practice religiosity without a group/tribe.

    Religiosity, I would define roughly, as promoting an organized or local church/temple/tribe etc.

    Spirituality ignores our tribal instincts. Our religiosity demand that we cater to our tribal/fellowship needs.

    If you are spiritually minded and have a working moral system that you think is the best, I think that you should want to share it and have others follow it. To share it should have you join a church or religion so as to promote your good thinking.

    Does a spiritual mind, if truly spiritual, have to join a religion, even if not morally up to your standard, in order to share your view and perhaps help that religion rise up to your better standard of excellence?

    If you answer yes to that question, is that why spiritually minded atheists and others now forming atheist churches or churches that take a more secular role within society?

    Regards
    DL
    Is there really such a thing as a "spiritually minded atheist?" I thought the word "spirit" referred to some supernatural existence or entity separate from our material world and thus not measurable by science or reason.

  2. #12
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    38,990
    Thanks
    37214

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Urbanek View Post
    Is there really such a thing as a "spiritually minded atheist?" I thought the word "spirit" referred to some supernatural existence or entity separate from our material world and thus not measurable by science or reason.

    An atheist doesn't believe that God exists. That doesn't necessarily preclude an atheist from believing in magic.

  3. #13
    Veteran Member Puzzling Evidence's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    21,853
    Thanks
    9436

    From
    Away from sharp objects>
    I am a proud born again Pagan and I believe in more than a few gods. I do not believe that any god created the universe. Nor do I believe in an all-powerful god. The gods (like us) are along for the ride.

    I believe that the universe was borrowed out of the nothing and to the nothing it shall return.

    *A certain amount of the universe....a very small amount...always remains, even after the universe 'disappears.' That would be the only way to borrow from the nothing: nothing always has something, regardless.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    If you are following the New Testament, you are following a religion.
    "Religion" is a man-made construct; it was not handed to man from on high. You could technically pigeon-hole someone by saying that person was a 'Christian,' but we can call anyone anything we want. People could call me a devil worshiper due to the teachings of the bible, but I do not have to agree. That would make me a pagan -- not a devil worshiper.


    Quote Originally Posted by Gnostic Christian Bishop View Post
    Can you be spiritual without being religious?

    Spirituality might be exemplified by this quote.....
    Why do you keep quoting the bible when you are not Christian? At times, I really think that you just post on this site to troll religious people. That's very sad that you think this somehow makes whatever darkness that crossed your path, righted.
    Last edited by Puzzling Evidence; 9th May 2018 at 03:26 PM.

  4. #14
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    64,780
    Thanks
    32865

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    "Religion" is a man-made construct; it was not handed to man from on high.
    That depends on one's religion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    You could technically pigeon-hole someone by saying that person was a 'Christian,' but we can call anyone anything we want.
    Of course. But then there is the question of how many legs would you say a horse has if we call the tail a leg; and the answer is "four" - calling the tail a leg does not make it one. If a person follows the New Testament and the teachings of Jesus, one is a Xian by definition - not because I say so, but because he says so.

    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzling Evidence View Post
    People could call me a devil worshiper due to the teachings of the bible, but I do not have to agree. That would make me a pagan -- not a devil worshiper.
    That is true. However, this is identifying your religion by what his religion says, whereas I was identifying his religion by what his religion says. He is trying to say that Xianity is not a religion, in other words.

  5. #15
    Member Gnostic Christian Bishop's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,042
    Thanks
    168

    From
    Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by TNHarley View Post
    IMO that makes more sense. You dont have the made up malarkey that goes along with religious sects. You know how they all have their own versions of things..
    Why say you believe in the bible when you dont even adhere to it?
    This is a good thing, because it is supposed to represent good. Initial contact.

    It does not of course. Christians have taken god out of man. It shed's man responsibility for his actions. It abdicates personal responsibility. That is slavery.

    I don't think that that is Godly.

    Regards
    DL

  6. #16
    Member Gnostic Christian Bishop's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,042
    Thanks
    168

    From
    Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
    No, Religion is Church of Christ, Southern Baptist, Methodist or a Pope.. I don't follow a religion I follow the teachings of Christ.

    Just as you following the Teachings of the Prophets and Judges of the Old Testament isn't religion..
    Let me show my small mind here.

    Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. Eleanor Roosevelt

    If the name of your God is not I am, then you are not following the teachings if Christ.

    Jesus was not a literalist. He was of the oral tradition, while you are a literalist. You do not follow the Christ. Jesus Christ was secular while you are theistic.

    Regards
    DL

  7. #17
    Member Gnostic Christian Bishop's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,042
    Thanks
    168

    From
    Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Urbanek View Post
    Is there really such a thing as a "spiritually minded atheist?"
    I don't know. I am a Gnostic Christian and agnostic. All esoteric ecumenist minds are.

    I thought the word "spirit" referred to some supernatural existence or entity separate from our material world and thus not measurable by science or reason.
    Correct, I think.

    Spiritual is described differently.

    It is rather subjective. I would describe it as mental couth, but being French, I try to be careful with English. An ugly language for precision.

    Regards
    DL

  8. #18
    DEEP STATE CEO Blues63's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    9,694
    Thanks
    7128

    From
    SPECTRE HQ
    New age 'spiritualists' who cherry pick various philosophies claim to take this very stance, that is 'I'm spiritual, but not religious' meaning these individuals reject mainstream dogma.

  9. #19
    Member Gnostic Christian Bishop's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,042
    Thanks
    168

    From
    Canada
    QUOTE=Puzzling Evidence;5871527]

    Why do you keep quoting the bible when you are not Christian? At times, I really think that you just post on this site to troll religious people. That's very sad that you think this somehow makes whatever darkness that crossed your path, righted.[/QUOTE]


    I am a Gnostic Christian and have decided to educate the slower Christians as a part of my pay back to civilized society.

    That begins with all religious liars being called out for what they are.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjRy29R4gP8

    [

    Regards
    DL
    Last edited by Gnostic Christian Bishop; 10th May 2018 at 12:16 PM.

  10. #20
    Member Gnostic Christian Bishop's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,042
    Thanks
    168

    From
    Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Blues63 View Post
    New age 'spiritualists' who cherry pick various philosophies claim to take this very stance, that is 'I'm spiritual, but not religious' meaning these individuals reject mainstream dogma.
    Indeed. As they should. They also reject pampered pedophile priests and other religious fraudsters. And that is almost all clergy of the revealed religions.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_bvGTc6SM8


    The Pope is basically saying, want your money but you cannot have Jesus.

    Regards
    DL

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Spiritual Terrorism
    By anonymous in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 9th August 2013, 04:23 PM
  2. 'I'm spiritual but not religious' is a cop-out
    By meridian5455 in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 264
    Last Post: 17th October 2012, 11:24 PM
  3. A Spiritual Journey
    By conservative in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 3rd October 2007, 12:44 AM
  4. Religious or spiritual?
    By mpano66 in forum Philosophy and Religion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11th March 2007, 11:12 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed