Members banned from this thread: ptif219 and bmanmcfly


Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 123
Thanks Tree97Thanks

Thread: Just a few of the many reasons I know there is no god

  1. #11
    Member Robert Urbanek's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,470
    Thanks
    1486

    From
    Vacaville, CA
    Even if you can prove God is evil, that doesn't mean God doesn't exist; it only proves you don't like uncomfortable truths.

  2. #12
    Flibbertigibbet Wonderer's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2014
    Posts
    27,462
    Thanks
    18171

    From
    Missouri
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderer View Post
    Well, poop. I don't know how to post gifs right.

    In all seriousness, Boop, I'm both touched by your mention of me and saddened because: A) I fall short every day/all the time; and B) if I'm the example, Heaven help us all. Then again, I guess that's kind of the point?
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey, labrea, BDBoop and 2 others

  3. #13
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    35,993
    Thanks
    28604

    From
    On a hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Everything you mention in the OP has to do with the decisions of human beings, however, and none to do with G-d (or absence of a g-d, as the case may be). Basically, you are saying there is no g-d because people are assholes, which conclusion does not follow from your premise(s).
    I read it as the people professing faith in god the loudest dont live as if they believe he really exists.

    What sort of witness is that to the existence of god?
    Thanks from BigLeRoy

  4. #14
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    35,993
    Thanks
    28604

    From
    On a hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    I disagree. The "image" is that of having free will to choose between good and evil, right and wrong. People can choose to be assholes, but that does not make G-d an asshole.
    Luke 6:46 Why do you call me Lord but donít do what I tell you?
    Thanks from BDBoop

  5. #15
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    66,356
    Thanks
    34030

    From
    Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderer View Post
    Well, poop. I don't know how to post gifs right.
    Good. I hate animated gifs.
    Thanks from Wonderer

  6. #16
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    66,356
    Thanks
    34030

    From
    Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
    Quote Originally Posted by labrea View Post
    I read it as the people professing faith in g-d the loudest dont live as if they believe he really exists.

    What sort of witness is that to the existence of g-d?
    None. That has no bearing, however, on whether G-d exists.

  7. #17
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    66,356
    Thanks
    34030

    From
    Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
    Quote Originally Posted by labrea View Post
    Luke 6:46
    As you might imagine, the Xian New Testament is outside my operational milieu.

  8. #18
    Wawa Skittletits BDBoop's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    44,168
    Thanks
    39839

    From
    Tweet Tweet
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Yes, better. It is an evidence-based approach that is not dependent on the behavior of people. Behavior of people indicates nothing about G-d.


    That would not make sense. But that behavior says nothing about the existence or nonexistence of G-d.


    We cannot know what "thoughts" accomplish, except insofar as human thoughts have not yet accomplished what those people want accomplished. We cannot know what "prayers" accomplish, because no one can know the mind of G-d (even assuming He exists). When you say they "accomplish nothing," you are really saying that what you wish done is not accomplished. That is reflective of human will (or lack of it) and is not related to G-d.

    Yeah, obviously I disagree sixteen ways from Sunday, not least because I spent a few decades in a church. I know what god expects and demands of his people, and I know why. Outsiders are meant to see how Christians have peace, love, joy, etc and we will want that.

    I'm not seeing it.
    Thanks from labrea

  9. #19
    Wawa Skittletits BDBoop's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    44,168
    Thanks
    39839

    From
    Tweet Tweet
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    None. That has no bearing, however, on whether G-d exists.
    And I disagree. Strongly. Christians are meant to be proof that there is a living god, and see what a difference he makes.

    Only the bulk of them do the opposite.

    You say there is a God. What do you base that belief on.
    Thanks from labrea

  10. #20
    Wawa Skittletits BDBoop's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    44,168
    Thanks
    39839

    From
    Tweet Tweet
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderer View Post
    Well, poop. I don't know how to post gifs right.

    In all seriousness, Boop, I'm both touched by your mention of me and saddened because: A) I fall short every day/all the time; and B) if I'm the example, Heaven help us all. Then again, I guess that's kind of the point?
    In my estimation: Humility, empathy and compassion are just a few of the fruits I would expect to see if a person were actually a person of faith, actively following a god of love.
    Thanks from Wonderer, BigLeRoy and Babba

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Reasons Why I Voted
    By RJohnson in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 28th March 2016, 07:22 AM
  2. 50 Reasons
    By vikingbeast in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 15th December 2013, 08:04 AM
  3. So ,This Is One Of The Reasons
    By MaryAnne in forum Current Events
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 6th May 2013, 08:42 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed