Members banned from this thread: ptif219 and bmanmcfly


Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 123
Thanks Tree97Thanks

Thread: Just a few of the many reasons I know there is no god

  1. #21
    Wawa Skittletits BDBoop's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    44,168
    Thanks
    39839

    From
    Tweet Tweet
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    No. The conclusion that follows from that premise is that God, who purportedly created us in his own image, is an asshole.
    Exactly!! I can't tell you how many times I've seen a so-called follower on the net and just shook my head and said "I want nothing to do with your god, he's an unmitigated prick."
    Thanks from Dangermouse, BigLeRoy and Babba

  2. #22
    Flibbertigibbet Wonderer's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2014
    Posts
    27,462
    Thanks
    18171

    From
    Missouri
    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    In my estimation: Humility, empathy and compassion are just a few of the fruits I would expect to see if a person were actually a person of faith, actively following a god of love.
    I do have those. On good days. Usually.
    Thanks from BDBoop, BigLeRoy and Babba

  3. #23
    RNG
    RNG is offline
    Moderator RNG's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    11,599
    Thanks
    7124

    From
    Between everywhere
    First let me say that in the sea of ignorance of the Jewish religion I am drowning in, it has appeared to me from Ian's post on that and related, that the Jewish concept of god differs significantly from what is commonly referred to as the god of the bible. Thus this is not aimed at Ian in particular or Jews in general.

    I have often been asked what would it take to make me believe in god. I have thought long and hard on that and have finally come up with an answer that satisfies me.

    I would believe in god if I saw demonstrable evidence of a better outcome for the pious over the sinners.

    I'll even expand that to demonstrable evidence of a better outcome for good, decent people over the evil lizards.

    I am aware of some studies that tried to measure that and there has been no evidence from those studies to show any (external) benefit to being a believer.

    Warm fuzzies don't count.
    Thanks from BDBoop

  4. #24
    Vexatious Correspondent Leo2's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,007
    Thanks
    4059

    From
    UK/Australia
    Voltaire is reputed to have said - "Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer." The English translation of which we have all encountered, and I believe that to be a valid observation.

    So I will make no observation upon the spiritual beliefs of modern people, but it does seem that a belief in an omnipotent, omniscient being was necessary for the intellectual comfort of the ancients. The 'god of the gaps' provided answers for what we now know to be natural phenomena and disasters, and that was all that was available to what passed for the science of the time. This applied to the Nordic gods, the Hindu gods, the Egyptian gods, and the Inca gods, equally to the Jewish supreme being.

    The fact is, there is not and never has been, one scintilla of evidence which would be accepted in a court of law, supporting the existence of any such being.

    However, I respect the right of every person to subscribe to whatever beliefs his intellect will sustain, so make of the above what you will.
    Last edited by Leo2; 22nd May 2018 at 02:27 PM.

  5. #25
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    66,356
    Thanks
    34030

    From
    Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    ... I spent a few decades in a church. I know what g-d expects and demands of his people, and I know why.
    You got that information from people - information that has no bearing on whether G-d exists.

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    Christians are meant to be proof that there is a living g-d, and see what a difference he makes. Only the bulk of them do the opposite.
    Again, this has no bearing on whether G-d exists, because what you say seeks to base that determination on how some* humans act, and humans do not decide whether G-d exists. (We can try to figure it out, for all the good that will do, but it is not a choice that is up to us. Either G-d exists, or not.)

    * "Some" being defined as greater than zero, but less than all.

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    You say there is a G-d. What do you base that belief on.
    It does not matter. I am not here to try to convert anyone away from atheism, or to any particular religion. Rather, I am evaluating the reasons for which the non-existence of G-d is claimed. Absence of evidence (to the best of our knowledge and understanding) for such existence is a valid reason. The behavior of humans is, IMO, not.
    Thanks from jacobfitcher and Wonderer

  6. #26
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    66,356
    Thanks
    34030

    From
    Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
    Quote Originally Posted by RNG View Post
    {I}t has appeared to me from Ian's post on that and related, that the Jewish concept of g-d differs significantly from what is commonly referred to as the g-d of the bible.
    Yes. Certainly, they are theologically different and incompatible.

    Note, of course, that the difference you are drawing is between the G-d of the Tanakh and the G-d of the "New Testament," rather than between the Jewish G-d and the "G-d of the Bible," since the Tanakh (the "Old Testament") is also known as the Hebrew Bible.

  7. #27
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    66,356
    Thanks
    34030

    From
    Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo2 View Post
    Voltaire is reputed to have said - "Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer."
    I once asserted the reverse - that if man had not invented G-d, it would be necessary for Him to exist naturally.

  8. #28
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    35,993
    Thanks
    28604

    From
    On a hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    None. That has no bearing, however, on whether G-d exists.
    It does in that Christians believe that god changes hearts, and behavior.
    Thanks from BDBoop

  9. #29
    Veteran Member Devil505's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    64,535
    Thanks
    21204

    From
    Mass and Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    Evil couldn't exist in God's creation were evil not an inherent quality of God prior to creation. Whether we choose to call God an "asshole" due to his inherently evil nature is elective.
    <Steps quietly away from NS b4 lightning bolt........>..
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey

  10. #30
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    39,965
    Thanks
    38368

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    <Steps quietly away from NS b4 lightning bolt........>..

    No worries!

    God loves me.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Reasons Why I Voted
    By RJohnson in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 28th March 2016, 07:22 AM
  2. 50 Reasons
    By vikingbeast in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 15th December 2013, 08:04 AM
  3. So ,This Is One Of The Reasons
    By MaryAnne in forum Current Events
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 6th May 2013, 08:42 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed