Members banned from this thread: ptif219 and bmanmcfly


Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 123
Thanks Tree97Thanks

Thread: Just a few of the many reasons I know there is no god

  1. #1
    Wawa Skittletits BDBoop's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    42,855
    Thanks
    37976

    From
    Sometimes I get cranky

    Just a few of the many reasons I know there is no god

    Because thoughts and prayers accomplish nothing.

    Because people who call themselves by his name are perpetrators of egregious deeds.

    Probably a great deal like the Crusades / Dark Ages. - that is where we are headed.

    I know pretty much ONE person who actually exemplifies her faith in a manner I would be willing to emulate. ::cough::@Wonderer::cough-cough::

    Because "by their fruits we shall know them," and said fruits are nowhere to be found.

    Because those same people mock, shame, belittle and denigrate "the least among us," in direct contradiction to their god's commands.

    Feel free to add on or disagree. Just be very sure you haven't been showing me who you are all along, before weighing in.

    P.S.:



    I personally refuse to lend any credence to the pro-life brigade as long as they are fine with people being shot and killed on the daily.
    Thanks from labrea, Friday13 and The Man

  2. #2
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    62,641
    Thanks
    31336

    From
    Vulcan
    Everything you mention in the OP has to do with the decisions of human beings, however, and none to do with G-d (or absence of a g-d, as the case may be). Basically, you are saying there is no g-d because people are assholes, which conclusion does not follow from your premise(s).

  3. #3
    Wawa Skittletits BDBoop's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    42,855
    Thanks
    37976

    From
    Sometimes I get cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Everything you mention in the OP has to do with the decisions of human beings, however, and none to do with G-d (or absence of a g-d, as the case may be). Basically, you are saying there is no g-d because people are assholes, which conclusion does not follow from your premise(s).
    How's this. I have seen nothing to indicate he exists. Better?

    And are you honestly saying we should ignore the behavior of Christians, because they don't know how to Christ?

    Kindly tell me how "Because thoughts and prayers accomplish nothing." is reflective of your assertion.


  4. #4
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    62,641
    Thanks
    31336

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    How's this. I have seen nothing to indicate he exists. Better?
    Yes, better. It is an evidence-based approach that is not dependent on the behavior of people. Behavior of people indicates nothing about G-d.

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    And are you honestly saying we should ignore the behavior of Christians, because they don't know how to Christ?
    That would not make sense. But that behavior says nothing about the existence or nonexistence of G-d.

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    Kindly tell me how "Because thoughts and prayers accomplish nothing." is reflective of your assertion.
    We cannot know what "thoughts" accomplish, except insofar as human thoughts have not yet accomplished what those people want accomplished. We cannot know what "prayers" accomplish, because no one can know the mind of G-d (even assuming He exists). When you say they "accomplish nothing," you are really saying that what you wish done is not accomplished. That is reflective of human will (or lack of it) and is not related to G-d.
    Thanks from orangecat and Sassy

  5. #5
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    37,834
    Thanks
    35649

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    Everything you mention in the OP has to do with the decisions of human beings, however, and none to do with G-d (or absence of a g-d, as the case may be). Basically, you are saying there is no g-d because people are assholes, which conclusion does not follow from your premise(s).

    No. The conclusion that follows from that premise is that God, who purportedly created us in his own image, is an asshole.
    Thanks from Devil505 and BDBoop

  6. #6
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    62,641
    Thanks
    31336

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    No. The conclusion that follows from that premise is that G-d, who purportedly created us in his own image, is an asshole.
    I disagree. The "image" is that of having free will to choose between good and evil, right and wrong. People can choose to be assholes, but that does not make G-d an asshole.

  7. #7
    Radical Centrist BigLeRoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    33,041
    Thanks
    28208

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    I disagree. The "image" is that of having free will to choose between good and evil, right and wrong. People can choose to be assholes, but that does not make G-d an asshole.
    Well, if God is such a Great and Intelligent Designer, then why did He choose to put a Recreation Area right next to a Waste Disposal Unit, and then tell us, in no uncertain terms, NOT to use the waste disposal unit for recreational purposes?

    THAT makes Him an 'asshole', in MY opinion.

    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey

  8. #8
    Veteran Member Devil505's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    64,014
    Thanks
    20700

    From
    Mass and Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    I disagree. The "image" is that of having free will to choose between good and evil, right and wrong. People can choose to be assholes, but that does not make G-d an asshole.
    It makes him at least an underachiever in my book.

  9. #9
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    37,834
    Thanks
    35649

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    I disagree. The "image" is that of having free will to choose between good and evil, right and wrong. People can choose to be assholes, but that does not make G-d an asshole.

    Evil couldn't exist in God's creation were evil not an inherent quality of God prior to creation. Whether we choose to call God an "asshole" due to his inherently evil nature is elective.

  10. #10
    Flibbertigibbet Wonderer's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2014
    Posts
    25,153
    Thanks
    16974

    From
    Missouri
    Thanks from BigLeRoy

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Reasons Why I Voted
    By RJohnson in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 28th March 2016, 07:22 AM
  2. 50 Reasons
    By vikingbeast in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 15th December 2013, 08:04 AM
  3. So ,This Is One Of The Reasons
    By MaryAnne in forum Current Events
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 6th May 2013, 08:42 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed