Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 103
Thanks Tree60Thanks

Thread: How can you be logical and religious?

  1. #21
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    57,905
    Thanks
    33512

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnne View Post
    Having faith is believing in God. Religion is strictly man made, much abused by man.
    "Having faith" and "religion" are only coincidentially related.

  2. #22
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    57,905
    Thanks
    33512

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    The fact that they get them so young explains it all. If you are taught from very young age, when you age this information becomes secondary to logic. The mind has been warped.
    This happens, sure. But not every religious person is a victim of child abuse.
    Thanks from johnflesh

  3. #23
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    57,905
    Thanks
    33512

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkady View Post
    I think the key, for intelligent religious people, is compartmentalization. At a very deep level they recognize that their faith is silly, and that deeper part of their mind arranges their thought processes so that their faith is only given free rein within certain bounds. That way, they can be logical, insightful, informed, etc., in nearly all areas of their lives and professions, while still cherishing their faith. It's a kind of Doublethink. It's not particularly problematic, from society's perspective, since for most purposes, people who have mastered such compartmentalization function just fine, mentally, despite being religious. In theory, we lose a bit of their processing ability, since they waste time and energy on their religion, and on holding it in check, but as a practical matter it makes very little difference. The ones who are the problems are those who haven't mastered compartmentalization, and allow their religious beliefs to infect their thinking beyond the limited bounds that are compatible with modern civilization.
    I disagree. The artist, poet, musician, sculptor, etc. does not degrade her higher intelligence by pursuing those abilities, and neither does the philosopher.

    Most major religions have sects that delve deeply into the moral questions that surround us. And most also have sects that delve into the metaphysical, mind-altering, mystical aspects of that religion.

    Humans have many intellectual appetites and abilities.

  4. #24
    Veteran Member Devil505's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    64,592
    Thanks
    21259

    From
    Mass and Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnne View Post
    Having faith is believing in God. Religion is strictly man made, much abused by man.
    To non-specific to my mind.....depends on your definition of god.

    A being who intentionally created the universe and just let it run itself?......Possible but no evidence.
    A being who intentionally created the universe and watches over it with some control?....No evidence and very unlikely to be a benevolent force....imo.

  5. #25
    Shitposting Rank 4 Missle Command Champion johnflesh's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    21,745
    Thanks
    12049

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Knuckles View Post
    There’s only a contradiction if you state your faith as a fact. Confusing the two things.

    Since hundreds of millions of good, honest hard-working, logical people don’t do that - it seems kind of disengenuous to me to shit all over them if there’s someone else running around who does.

    Ask how people can give money to Southern US hateful spittle-mouthed TV preacher con-men and be logical. Leave the lady at my church who’s faith drives her to spend 8 hours a week volunteering to organize complicated Syrian refugee sponsorships out of it.

    My mom lives in a safe, clean housing complex for low income pensioners which is built and maintained by a United Church congregation with about 200 people in it busting a gut to keep things afloat.


    Im sorry some douchebag, dickhead with the same religion in Alabama or Arkansas or South Kentucky fried whatever something the fuck hates gay people, steals money, ruins school boards and fiddles little kids - but seriously no one else in the world deserves any shit over it.

    Every politician and celebrity in the Ststes looks like a total asshole. So if Christians in the States in news and on tv are total assholes, that’s probably just about who gets airtime and attention.
    11/10

  6. #26
    Shitposting Rank 4 Missle Command Champion johnflesh's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    21,745
    Thanks
    12049

    From
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    No.

    Logic relies on evidence and faith is a child believing in Santa Claus.
    Neither of those things are true.

  7. #27
    Frecks1710 Frecks1710's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    169
    Thanks
    192

    From
    Florida

    Belief

    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    No.

    Logic relies on evidence and faith is a child believing in Santa Claus.
    Not everything in this world can be based on pure facts and logic. I believe in doing all that one can to reach a goal or to help a loved one who is ill. But I also believe in taking it one step further to pray to a higher spiritual being; not necessarily for a miracle, but for guidance and inner peace. If one can maintain that positive outlook and feel “a spark”, that is something of importance to me. Feeling uplifted, hopeful, and motivated in times of adversity is to me a miracle.
    Thanks from Jets, HCProf and MaryAnne

  8. #28
    Veteran Member Devil505's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    64,592
    Thanks
    21259

    From
    Mass and Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by johnflesh View Post
    Neither of those things are true.
    They are opinions and no proof exists in either direction.
    Prove my opinion is untrue.
    Last edited by Devil505; 26th July 2018 at 11:24 AM.

  9. #29
    Veteran Member MaryAnne's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    51,658
    Thanks
    37059

    From
    Englewood,Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    "Having faith" and "religion" are only coincidentially related.
    I think that was what I posted.

  10. #30
    Veteran Member Devil505's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    64,592
    Thanks
    21259

    From
    Mass and Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Frecks1710 View Post
    Not everything in this world can be based on pure facts and logic. I believe in doing all that one can to reach a goal or to help a loved one who is ill. But I also believe in taking it one step further to pray to a higher spiritual being; not necessarily for a miracle, but for guidance and inner peace. If one can maintain that positive outlook and feel “a spark”, that is something of importance to me. Feeling uplifted, hopeful, and motivated in times of adversity is to me a miracle.
    If one's faith gives them comfort that is a good thing....for them.
    A child who gets comfort from their security blanket is the same stituation though, isn't it?

    No evidence that the blanket has any effect on reality though. Just the belief/faith that it does is the only thing that's beneficial to the faithful.
    (Hmm......did I just hear thunder?)
    Last edited by Devil505; 26th July 2018 at 11:27 AM.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Logical consequences
    By RNG in forum Current Events
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 5th June 2018, 02:14 PM
  2. The right's logical fallacy
    By Cicero in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 6th July 2011, 12:48 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed