Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 152

Thread: Ask an atheist anything ...

  1. #1
    Emperor of Earth muffins's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    564
    Thanks
    3

    Ask an atheist anything ...

    <<< See this guy here?

    He's a full on atheist.

    Ask him anything.

    (There seems to be a lot of distrust/hatred/ill feeling towards people who don't believe in any particular religion/theology here, so why not).

  2. #2
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    9,808
    Thanks
    284

    From
    Seattle
    Quote Originally Posted by muffins View Post
    <<< See this guy here?

    He's a full on atheist.

    Ask him anything.

    (There seems to be a lot of distrust/hatred/ill feeling towards people who don't believe in any particular religion/theology here, so why not).
    Assuming the Universe if so perfectly ordered that intelligent design is as apparent as J Lo's well-created behind, who or what created God? Or how is it that God evolved?

  3. #3
    Emperor of Earth muffins's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    564
    Thanks
    3

    Quote Originally Posted by Koios View Post
    Assuming the Universe if so perfectly ordered that intelligent design is as apparent as J Lo's well-created behind, who or what created God? Or how is it that God evolved?
    1) Erroneous assumption. The universe is not Copernican. All the patterns that you see are from natural forces. For example, a line of seaweed on the beach is due to the tide and wave action, not because someone took the time to arrange the seaweed in a line like that.

    2) "Who created god?" ... which god? There are many.

    3) Man invented gods many times in history to explain things they could not.

    4) Though J-Lo's arse is divine, it is not itself evidence of divine intervention.


  4. #4
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,311
    Thanks
    16

    Quote Originally Posted by muffins View Post
    <<< See this guy here?

    He's a full on atheist.

    Ask him anything.

    (There seems to be a lot of distrust/hatred/ill feeling towards people who don't believe in any particular religion/theology here, so why not).
    Why do so many atheists hate Christians?

  5. #5
    Emperor of Earth muffins's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    564
    Thanks
    3

    Quote Originally Posted by Hairball View Post
    Why do so many atheists hate Christians?
    We don't.

    We also don't hate Buddhists, Hindus, Muslims, etc.

    We also don't hate Jesus, before someone brings that up too.

    I'm not a member of any football clubs ... but that does not mean I hate football clubs either.

  6. #6
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    29,683
    Thanks
    26

    From
    See you in a new existence!
    Why do atheist believe they know there is no God or afterlife?

  7. #7
    Emperor of Earth muffins's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    564
    Thanks
    3

    Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wind View Post
    Why do atheist believe they know there is no God or afterlife?
    It's evidence based I guess. For the same reason people grow out of believing in Santa, fairies, unicorns, the Lock Ness monster and ghosts etc - lack of credible evidence makes the proposition non-credible to us atheists.

    It's like if a stranger comes up to you with a box. He claims there is a gold bar in the box worth 12,000, but only wants 50 for it.

    He won't let you look in the box to see if there really is a gold bar in the box before you fork out 50 for it.

    You would want evidence.

    I also believe that I know that there isn't a giant inflatable space-duck floating behind Saturn where we can't see it
    Last edited by muffins; 17th July 2012 at 08:24 PM.

  8. #8
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    9,808
    Thanks
    284

    From
    Seattle
    Quote Originally Posted by muffins

    1) Erroneous assumption. The universe is not Copernican. All the patterns that you see are from natural forces. For example, a line of seaweed on the beach is due to the tide and wave action, not because someone took the time to arrange the seaweed in a line like that.

    2) "Who created god?" ... which god? There are many.

    3) Man invented gods many times in history to explain things they could not.

    4) Though J-Lo's arse is divine, it is not itself evidence of divine intervention.

    I am converted! Hallelujah, brother! For I have seem the light.


  9. #9
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    29,683
    Thanks
    26

    From
    See you in a new existence!
    Quote Originally Posted by muffins View Post
    It's evidence based I guess.
    I completely agree about evidence. I'm just not willing to say that space-duck behind Saturn doesn't simply because I can't see it from my couch. I'd like someone to go out and look first before I declare "There is no duck!"

    Do you think people atheism is a belief?

  10. #10
    Emperor of Earth muffins's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    564
    Thanks
    3

    Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wind View Post
    I completely agree about evidence. I'm just not willing to say that space-duck behind Saturn doesn't simply because I can't see it from my couch. I'd like someone to go out and look first before I declare "There is no duck!"
    But then you risk going down the road of trying to find evidence to disprove things, rather than evidence in proving things.

    For instance, lets say we send a probe to Saturn and find no duck. How do we know that the duck isn't invisible to normal cameras? Then we send a probe with radar and IR sensors to detect the invisible duck, and still find no duck. But what if the duck can instantly teleport to a position behind another planet? We send probes with radar to all planets, and still find no duck. But what if the duck isn't really an invisible teleporting duck and is instead a space elephant that can disguise itself as a planet ... and so on and so on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wind View Post
    Do you think people atheism is a belief?
    No. I find it strange that there is descriptive term for someone that doesn't belong to something though.

    There's no similar term for those who do not wish to take part in sports. Or those who vote for no party.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed