Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 111
Thanks Tree124Thanks

Thread: Bernie Introduces Bill To Authorize Americans To Buy Rx Drugs From Canada

  1. #31
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    51,003
    Thanks
    29569

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by RNG View Post
    The Canadian government also passed a law against sales out of country. That wasn't due to any Bigevilepharma lobbying, it was due to the lack of a database to register whether the prescriptions were actually from a doctor and a part of a new computer linked tracking system to combat opioid abuse and such.

    On a side note, in Alberta, pharmacies are obligated by law to offer patients a generic if available, and in BC the generic must be given unless the doctor has a compelling reason to demand the name brand.
    It is illegal for a Canadian pharmacy to fill a script for an American? That's gonna be a problem; 99% of these sales will have to be done via internet and mail. We won't even be face to face with the guy in the white coat.

  2. #32
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    40,985
    Thanks
    24175

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by RNG View Post
    The Canadian government also passed a law against sales out of country. That wasn't due to any Bigevilepharma lobbying, it was due to the lack of a database to register whether the prescriptions were actually from a doctor and a part of a new computer linked tracking system to combat opioid abuse and such.

    On a side note, in Alberta, pharmacies are obligated by law to offer patients a generic if available, and in BC the generic must be given unless the doctor has a compelling reason to demand the name brand.
    So how will this work? If the US ever passes a bill that allows us to buy Rx from Canada, we then will have to wait for Canada to also change the law? That could take a long time. A complicating factor still remains, how will Canadian pharmacies know whether the prescriptions came from a doctor or not? Its doubtful they have a database of all our doctors.
    Thanks from Madeline

  3. #33
    Council Member Djinn's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    41,554
    Thanks
    26302

    From
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post

    ....
    Nexium 24-hour is an over-the counter medication that you can buy in the U.S. for under $0.60 / pill.

    Target : Expect More. Pay Less.

  4. #34
    Swamper chaos's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    3,320
    Thanks
    1499

    From
    Cyberia
    Quote Originally Posted by RNG View Post
    I know two conservatives that claim the only reason new drugs are ever discovered is because Bigevilpharma gets all those ludicrous profits from you. If they didn't charge that much and have ever extended patent protection, there would be no more pharmacological advances, the earth would stop rotating, socialists would take over the world and other plagues and apocalyptic events would occur.
    Apocalyptic events are what conservatives have been waiting for. I'd hate to see them left behind in the next rapture.
    Thanks from Madeline

  5. #35
    RNG
    RNG is offline
    Moderator RNG's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    8,192
    Thanks
    4728

    From
    Canada, West Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    So how will this work? If the US ever passes a bill that allows us to buy Rx from Canada, we then will have to wait for Canada to also change the law? That could take a long time. A complicating factor still remains, how will Canadian pharmacies know whether the prescriptions came from a doctor or not? Its doubtful they have a database of all our doctors.
    Exactly. I don't think it could work. With the large number of synthetic drugs, many of which can be made from current pharmaceuticals, the government here has worked hard to put in place systems to monitor drug prescriptions and consumption.

    As minor backpedal, I am not a lawyer and not involved in any nefarious dealing. Thus I'm not totally sure of the fed/provincial split in regs and laws. The generic part I know is provincial, I think the cross border sales is federal. Health care is sort of of mixed responsibility here.
    Thanks from bajisima and Madeline

  6. #36
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    53,875
    Thanks
    19105

    From
    america
    GO BERNIE!

    (I trust the Canadian equivalent of the FDA.....IF, for some reason there is some concern, simply amend his bill saying that such drugs must be pre-approved by our FDA.)

    (I assume your Nexium example is based on a BOTTLE of Nexium, not just a single pill! When I was paying for it, a few years ago, it was around $5.00 a pill. On some generic now, that works just as well for me. AND, they now sell the same thing, over the counter, for far less, even though, it may be slightly less potent. But, even taking TWO of those, you can come out cheaper....)
    Thanks from Madeline

  7. #37
    Chaos in fourteen lines Minotaur's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    18,019
    Thanks
    14397

    From
    USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    I hate her because she is the handmaiden of the 0.01%. It's not personal, as in, she is not my former mother in law or anything. The difference between Ds and Rs on Big Pharma is exactly fuck all.

    That's why it takes a Progressive to propose this legislation. Someone who doesn't owe his soul to them.
    They have never listened to Bernie in Congress and still aren't listening to him. Mainly because nothing major he has ever proposed in his lifetime career had a shot at being passed. The selection of Perez is a message about that point. If you hate Hillary merely because she gets things done in a toxic environment where we the people have loaded Congress with the people we then pretend-blame, then you better hate doers like her even more over dreamers like Bernie and nutcases like Trump who we add to the mix to screw ourselves. Issues are what politics should be about but voters get sidetracked on issues and run with bogus memes until they no longer make sense when they vote. Some pretend to be on a higher ground floating on clouds. Still others think rhetoric and memes should rule the day. Both perspectives have no idea they could actually physically die for their folly. Where I am at is I really appreciate those grounded voters who understand impact of stances and what can or can't be done. It takes a little work to be a grounded voter and no one has to like the candidates. Liking is emotional. What can they do is what counts. Trump never lied about where he stood so more should have been listening to him.
    Last edited by Minotaur; 1st March 2017 at 03:06 PM.
    Thanks from Friday13

  8. #38
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    51,003
    Thanks
    29569

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
    Nexium 24-hour is an over-the counter medication that you can buy in the U.S. for under $0.60 / pill.

    Target : Expect More. Pay Less.
    Thank you.

  9. #39
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    51,003
    Thanks
    29569

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
    They have never listened to Bernie in Congress and still aren't listening to him. Mainly because nothing major he has ever proposed in his lifetime career had a shot at being passed. The selection of Perez is a message about that point. If you hate Hillary merely because she gets things done in a toxic environment where we the people have loaded Congress with the people we then pretend-blame, then you better hate doers like her even more over dreamers like Bernie and nutcases like Trump who we add to the mix to screw ourselves. Issues are what politics should be about but voters get sidetracked on issues and run with bogus memes until they no longer make sense when they vote. Some pretend to be on a higher ground floating on clouds. Still others think rhetoric and memes should rule the day. Both perspectives have no idea they could actually physically die for their folly. Where I am at is I really appreciate those grounded voters who understand impact of stances and what can or can't be done. It takes a little work to be a grounded voter and no one has to like the candidates. Liking is emotional. What can they do is what counts. Trump never lied about where he stood so more should have been listening to him.
    "Getting things done" is not desirable if those things are deeply harmful to the poor.

    Content matters.

  10. #40
    Chaos in fourteen lines Minotaur's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    18,019
    Thanks
    14397

    From
    USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    "Getting things done" is not desirable if those things are deeply harmful to the poor.

    Content matters.
    And there fore you end up with a Trump who takes you backwards. It is a cruel lesson. Some learn it and some don't.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10th June 2015, 11:09 AM
  2. Replies: 169
    Last Post: 19th December 2013, 01:26 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 3rd August 2011, 01:51 AM
  4. Congress introduces Bill for Comprehensive Immigration Reform.
    By michaelr in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21st December 2009, 10:50 AM
  5. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 18th April 2008, 10:39 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed