Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 153
Thanks Tree70Thanks

Thread: Schumer, Pelosi & Clinton Attack Universal Health Care

  1. #51
    Veteran Member PACE's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    21,268
    Thanks
    18069

    From
    None of your business
    Quote Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
    He might be. That would not be a surprise.
    Bernie needs to stand down in 2020, this time around reasonable liberals will NOT be so kind to him!
    Thanks from Minotaur and Dragonfly5

  2. #52
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    58,108
    Thanks
    10587

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
    It is not possible now and when it may be possible is anyone's guess. However in this, Madeline does not seem to understand that it can't be passed PERIOD. In the here and now it is impossible. As for your guess on when it can be passed I'd say that is unlikely. Way too soon. Congress won't change sides that fast even with a leadership change. Even if the leadership changes, the numbers will be too close for Democrats to pass it. I'm sticking with a decade at the earliest.
    The collapse of the ACA could be a trigger point, especially if there is a strong movement for UHC already in progress.

    But that isn't likely to happen for awhile.

    At this point some sort of government healthcare is a given, now that its started it won't ever go back.

    Its just what form it takes.

    Even I as a far right conservative even I can admit that. The best I can hope for is that we can find a way to reasonably pay for it.
    Thanks from Minotaur

  3. #53
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    29,362
    Thanks
    23332

    From
    On a hill
    Quote Originally Posted by PACE View Post
    Goddamn! this is the moral equivalent of PETA dumping blood on people at the fashion show for wearing fur! sure I hate that. but that's not GOING TO CHANGE THE MIND OF FOLKS!
    Approval rating for Medicare for all is 64%.

    Data Note: Modestly Strong but Malleable Support for Single-Payer Health Care | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

    Hey isn't this the time?

  4. #54
    Chaos in fourteen lines Minotaur's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    18,023
    Thanks
    14406

    From
    USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    The collapse of the ACA could be a trigger point, especially if there is a strong movement for UHC already in progress.

    But that isn't likely to happen for awhile.

    At this point some sort of government healthcare is a given, now that its started it won't ever go back.

    Its just what form it takes.

    Even I as a far right conservative even I can admit that. The best I can hope for is that we can find a way to reasonably pay for it.
    If it is any consolation we're like-minded on this. In fact PACE brought the funding up for Universal which will be very important moving forward. I suspect the most we get toward that view will be Republicans fixing the ills of Obamacare and adding some things they have always wanted to it. What I watch as they are all tinkering is tax supplements being removed and Medicare being lowered as that can be a devastating life or death issue for millions. But even in Obamacare I agree that funding is an issue and you are correct that a reasonable way to pay for all this has to match with reality.

  5. #55
    Chaos in fourteen lines Minotaur's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    18,023
    Thanks
    14406

    From
    USA
    Quote Originally Posted by PACE View Post
    Bernie needs to stand down in 2020, this time around reasonable liberals will NOT be so kind to him!
    If there is a second run, unlike the last election, Bernie would be vetted. BTW I am not sure that he will run as I find it odd that he had Kamala Harris co-sponsor his bill as she would be a natural competitor. That would seem to neutralize him running on Universal against her.

  6. #56
    Veteran Member PACE's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    21,268
    Thanks
    18069

    From
    None of your business
    Quote Originally Posted by labrea View Post
    it's been time for this, I am not against it, I am against the timing for it, 64%, well, 78% approve of ACA...

    I see this as a poison pill; it plays right into the republican argument of "what will it cost?"

    Seriously, we have to get a majority in the house for this to pass. it won't.

  7. #57
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    58,108
    Thanks
    10587

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
    If it is any consolation we're like-minded on this. In fact PACE brought the funding up for Universal which will be very important moving forward. I suspect the most we get toward that view will be Republicans fixing the ills of Obamacare and adding some things they have always wanted to it. What I watch as they are all tinkering is tax supplements being removed and Medicare being lowered as that can be a devastating life or death issue for millions. But even in Obamacare I agree that funding is an issue and you are correct that a reasonable way to pay for all this has to match with reality.
    I have been trying out how they could pay for it and I simply cannot come up with anything.

    Economics isn't something I know much about however.

    It would have to be some reworking of the tax code, perhaps cutting other programs we don't need. Maybe they could tie all entitlement programs into it or something.

    Simply taxing the rich wouldn't be enough by itself.

    If they can figure that out I wouldn't make it a priority to oppose, we are stuck with something at this point so let's just make it the most effective system we can.

  8. #58
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    58,108
    Thanks
    10587

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by PACE View Post
    it's been time for this, I am not against it, I am against the timing for it, 64%, well, 78% approve of ACA...

    I see this as a poison pill; it plays right into the republican argument of "what will it cost?"

    Seriously, we have to get a majority in the house for this to pass. it won't.
    That's not just a republican argument.

    Its a serious concern.

  9. #59
    Veteran Member Pragmatist's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    45,212
    Thanks
    13117

    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    I have been trying out how they could pay for it and I simply cannot come up with anything.

    Economics isn't something I know much about however.
    Thats not surprising

  10. #60
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    58,108
    Thanks
    10587

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
    Thats not surprising
    I'm not an expert in everything as you claim to be.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Universal Health Care In Vermont
    By MaryAnne in forum Current Events
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13th March 2017, 04:49 AM
  2. Universal health care unconstitutional?
    By Conservative15 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 281
    Last Post: 23rd August 2009, 10:16 PM
  3. Universal Health Care
    By Burning Giraffe in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 455
    Last Post: 1st May 2008, 11:20 PM
  4. We Already Have Universal Health Care
    By Burning Giraffe in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20th October 2007, 09:21 AM

Search tags for this page

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed