Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 356
Thanks Tree134Thanks

Thread: Righties......Please explain the need/utility of high capacity magazines?

  1. #341
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,624
    Thanks
    366

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasselas View Post
    Straw man. No one is claiming anything will make a society "violence free," but those societies don't have the kinds of mass shooting we do (certainly not with the regularly we do) and their levels of violent crime are lower. Those two countries have per-capita murder rates about 1/4 of our own (source) for example.
    Ok then, how do you propose to bring our violence rate down to those levels? How do you propose to get rid of the guns? Walk me through it... especially the part where "the US is not taking anybody's guns away".

  2. #342
    Chubby Member
    Joined
    May 2006
    Posts
    8,285
    Thanks
    2368

    There's just no reasoning with some people.

  3. #343
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    60,335
    Thanks
    32476

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by Otto Throttle View Post
    Ok, please play along with me, since no one so far can actually explain the utility of gun registration for crime prevention/detection...
    Imagine that an unregistered gun with a serial number is recovered when a criminal is arrested, vs. one without a serial number, which the arrested perp is in possession of... In the second case the perp goes down for an additional crime.
    But what if the gun had been registered before being recovered in the hands of a perp... uh, yeah, the results are soooooo different, not, and the gun with the filed numbers can't even be associated to a registration anyway.
    How was registration relevant? What did it accomplish? Help me out here, I'm really trying to imagine a scenario where it would be helpful for prosecuting anything other than "failure to register a firearm".
    Why is it important? So we can trace chain of how the criminal got the gun. We can identify the last LEGITIMATE owner and break up networks by which illegal guns are obtained by criminals.

  4. #344
    Junior Member Claudius the God's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,817
    Thanks
    1078

    From
    California
    The only reason for owning these weapons lies in the psychology of the owner. It is a combination of thrill seeking, sense of power and some form of mental incapacity to grasp the danger these weapons pose to everyone including the owners of these weapons. It is obvious talking to owners of these weapons that they believe these weapons are essential parts of their lives, something they would fight to protect. I love fly fishing and have many rods but I also enjoy fishing in restricted waters that are catch and release, single barbless only. I accept regulations to protect the fisheries and enhance the experience. A gun owner acknowledges no regulations upon their use and ownership, they are defined by their guns. It would be as if I demanded the right to harvest every single trout in the river because it was my enshrined right to feed my family. This is how absurd their positions are in regards to these issues.

  5. #345
    Chubby Member
    Joined
    May 2006
    Posts
    8,285
    Thanks
    2368

    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius the God View Post
    The only reason for owning these weapons lies in the psychology of the owner. It is a combination of thrill seeking, sense of power and some form of mental incapacity to grasp the danger these weapons pose to everyone including the owners of these weapons. It is obvious talking to owners of these weapons that they believe these weapons are essential parts of their lives, something they would fight to protect. I love fly fishing and have many rods but I also enjoy fishing in restricted waters that are catch and release, single barbless only. I accept regulations to protect the fisheries and enhance the experience. A gun owner acknowledges no regulations upon their use and ownership, they are defined by their guns.
    They've been told by well-funded people for many decades now that anyone that tries to limit anything related to guns is going to have them in a concentration camp next week, where they will be fattened up for zombies or something. There is a very clear sense of fear of the boogeyman involved.

  6. #346
    Veteran Member Chief's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    25,612
    Thanks
    6222

    From
    Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    More nonsense. If your gun is registered - and then it is stolen - the cops can match you to the gun when they find it on some crook...

    So you get your gun back.
    It depends. Initially, it will be evidence, and will be held until a conviction in that case. Also, in some jurisdictions a gun used in a crime is destroyed. Even if it is returned, I have read that law enforcement does not always contact the owner, and it ends up taking 6-9 months for those that are returned.

  7. #347
    Veteran Member Panzareta's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    29,272
    Thanks
    17506

    From
    On a happy trail
    Quote Originally Posted by Macduff View Post
    You must be fun at parties. No one can tell obvious jokes around you because then they have to spend hours explaining them.
    "Well you see panz, it's funny because a deer is an animal. So obviously it's not going to commit a crime like... Wait, I can see I'm losing you. Let me go back to the beginning again..."
    Funny that your experiences in life seem to be based on what happens at parties. But it's still too bad you admitted to regularly lying on this site.

  8. #348
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,624
    Thanks
    366

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasselas View Post
    Why is it important? So we can trace chain of how the criminal got the gun. We can identify the last LEGITIMATE owner and break up networks by which illegal guns are obtained by criminals.
    And why is that important? Whatever the answer- stolen, black market, never registered in the first place- it's irrelevant, especially to the victim of crime who was denied the ability to defend themselves against armed criminals by your misguided prescription for peace love and happiness.
    And whoop dee doo, the perp- murderer, robber, raper, whatever, can now be charged with the additional "crime" of having an unregistered gun. Do you know that the feds currently barely enforce the prohibition of felons from having firearms as it is? And that should be an automatic 10 year federal sentence every time a felon is found with a gun or a felon tries to buy one.
    https://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/wa...ral-gun-crimes
    Most people trying to buy a gun illegally are never prosecuted, U.S. Senator Kelly Ayotte says | PolitiFact New Hampshire
    Thanks from jet57

  9. #349
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,624
    Thanks
    366

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius the God View Post
    The only reason for owning these weapons lies in the psychology of the owner. It is a combination of thrill seeking, sense of power and some form of mental incapacity to grasp the danger these weapons pose to everyone including the owners of these weapons. It is obvious talking to owners of these weapons that they believe these weapons are essential parts of their lives, something they would fight to protect. I love fly fishing and have many rods but I also enjoy fishing in restricted waters that are catch and release, single barbless only. I accept regulations to protect the fisheries and enhance the experience. A gun owner acknowledges no regulations upon their use and ownership, they are defined by their guns. It would be as if I demanded the right to harvest every single trout in the river because it was my enshrined right to feed my family. This is how absurd their positions are in regards to these issues.
    If you are keenly aware of the danger a gun in your own hands poses to yourself that isn't an indication of your superior intellect, but rather something else entirely...

  10. #350
    Chubby Member
    Joined
    May 2006
    Posts
    8,285
    Thanks
    2368

    Quote Originally Posted by Otto Throttle View Post
    If you are keenly aware of the danger a gun in your own hands poses to yourself that isn't an indication of your superior intellect, but rather something else entirely...
    His grasp of reality?

Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Judge blocks Californias high capacity magazine ban
    By bajisima in forum Current Events
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 30th June 2017, 11:54 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 7th December 2015, 04:06 PM
  3. High Capacity Magazines Should Be Banned
    By Devil505 in forum Warfare
    Replies: 158
    Last Post: 14th April 2011, 02:10 AM
  4. High Capacity Magazines Should Be Banned
    By Devil505 in forum Warfare
    Replies: 232
    Last Post: 12th February 2011, 06:39 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed