Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 356
Thanks Tree134Thanks

Thread: Righties......Please explain the need/utility of high capacity magazines?

  1. #51
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    41,013
    Thanks
    24183

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    See, this is the trick you guys consistently use to change the subject, and render the discussion of gun control meaningless. The goal of gun control is not to end, or reduce violence; it is to end/reduce gun violence. I understand that the difference may seem subtle, but it is important. You see, knife violence, or club violence, hell even vehicular violence simply does not have the capacity that gun violence currently does. If Paddock had driven a truck into the crowd, as one conservative pundit had hypothesised he could have done, we would have been looking a several dead, and dozens injured, at worst, rather than dozens dead, and hundreds injured

    Your argument defends against a meaningless, unmade position, and, therefore fails on its face. Care to try and answer the question in the OP again?
    The problem I always have with this and the drug crisis, is we are reactive not proactive. "We have had too many mass shootings therefore we must make (insert item) illegal." Sounds a lot like what we are hearing in the opioid crisis, "we have too many addicts lets make OxyContin illegal or hard to get." Its just that these things are so prevalent it makes it harder to just snap a finger and get rid of them. People go into the black market or stock up if they can. So in some ways it actually makes the situation worse. A recent study from Harvard said any gun control proposals make gun violence worse because people actually deliberately buy more than they ever want or need and then flood the market with them. Gun laws then become loosened because more people own them. I think I would rather keep them legal and monitor who has them if I had a choice. Like a controlled substance.

    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...e-guns/541905/
    Thanks from MaryAnne

  2. #52
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    58,108
    Thanks
    10587

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    I wanna know what "more shots" are needed for. Here's the thing. If you are hunting, and miss that first shot, then having "more rounds" isn't going to help unless you are proficient at shooting a fleeing animal. So, a higher capacity magazine really wouldn't help in hunting...unless the deer are shooting back. In which case, we should, perhaps, rethink allowing hunting to continue.
    If your first shot is bad and it starts to move off you have better odds of putting it down quickly with more shots instead of letting it get away and letting it suffer while you track it.

  3. #53
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,203
    Thanks
    17075

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    So if you pass this law and it doesn't change gun violence would you remove it after say 5 years?
    And when it does, would you, then, be open to other suggestions on how to reduce gun violence even more?
    Thanks from Friday13

  4. #54
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    58,108
    Thanks
    10587

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    And when it does, would you, then, be open to other suggestions on how to reduce gun violence even more?
    Depends on what it is.

  5. #55
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,203
    Thanks
    17075

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    If your first shot is bad and it starts to move off you have better odds of putting it down quickly with more shots instead of letting it get away and letting it suffer while you track it.
    Have you ever actually been hunting? I ask, because anyone who has will tell you that, regardless of how many shots you have, the likelihood of hitting a deer after that initial miss is slim to none. All you are doing with your high capacity magazine is wasting bullets. You might as well just be shooting at cans; it'll be just about as effective.
    Thanks from Panzareta

  6. #56
    formally known as mtm1963
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    30,006
    Thanks
    21

    From
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    Open for all but I really want to hear from people who favor them.
    You implied only those on the right favor them

  7. #57
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,203
    Thanks
    17075

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Depends on what it is.
    Nice equivocation.

  8. #58
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    58,108
    Thanks
    10587

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    Have you ever actually been hunting? I ask, because anyone who has will tell you that, regardless of how many shots you have, the likelihood of hitting a deer after that initial miss is slim to none. All you are doing with your high capacity magazine is wasting bullets. You might as well just be shooting at cans; it'll be just about as effective.
    I was saying if you have a bad shot and simply wound it.

  9. #59
    Chubby Member
    Joined
    May 2006
    Posts
    8,309
    Thanks
    2383

    I would love to see an honest conservative just put the truth on the table.

    If we agree to let you take our so-called assault rifles, and limit us to bolt-action or pump-action weapons, and take our pistols, we think that next you'll come for those, too, and ask us why we need them.

    Truth is the only use for a semi-automatic assault rifle is having an awesome time at the shooting range, and defending my home from a horde of attacking zombies. Or going psycho and shooting as many people as possible before killing myself.

    Why I need them is none of your damn business, though. I like my awesome guns, I want to keep them, and it is my right to keep them. I feel like you're trying to take my shit by politically leveraging the recent shootings, which feels really unfair and unreasonable to me, since I am a responsible gun owner.
    If as a nation we want to repeal the 2nd Amendment, then let's repeal it. Otherwise, stop trying to disarm me in phases as long as being armed is my explicitly defined right.
    Was that so hard?
    Thanks from Devil505 and Panzareta

  10. #60
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    58,108
    Thanks
    10587

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    Nice equivocation.
    So if it didn't work would you give up your quest for gun control?

    You didn't answer my question.

Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Judge blocks Californias high capacity magazine ban
    By bajisima in forum Current Events
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 30th June 2017, 11:54 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 7th December 2015, 04:06 PM
  3. High Capacity Magazines Should Be Banned
    By Devil505 in forum Warfare
    Replies: 158
    Last Post: 14th April 2011, 02:10 AM
  4. High Capacity Magazines Should Be Banned
    By Devil505 in forum Warfare
    Replies: 232
    Last Post: 12th February 2011, 06:39 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed