Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 356
Thanks Tree134Thanks

Thread: Righties......Please explain the need/utility of high capacity magazines?

  1. #61
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34,203
    Thanks
    17075

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by bajisima View Post
    The problem I always have with this and the drug crisis, is we are reactive not proactive. "We have had too many mass shootings therefore we must make (insert item) illegal." Sounds a lot like what we are hearing in the opioid crisis, "we have too many addicts lets make OxyContin illegal or hard to get." Its just that these things are so prevalent it makes it harder to just snap a finger and get rid of them. People go into the black market or stock up if they can. So in some ways it actually makes the situation worse. A recent study from Harvard said any gun control proposals make gun violence worse because people actually deliberately buy more than they ever want or need and then flood the market with them. Gun laws then become loosened because more people own them. I think I would rather keep them legal and monitor who has them if I had a choice. Like a controlled substance.

    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...e-guns/541905/
    Because that's working so well with Oxycotin...
    Thanks from Friday13

  2. #62
    Veteran Member Devil505's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    59,843
    Thanks
    17660

    From
    Mass and Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
    Or as Spookycolt put it about seven posts ago "more convenient."
    We can all be proud of the NRA and our congress for not inconveniencing mass murderers.
    Thanks from Dragonfly5, Friday13 and Panzareta

  3. #63
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    41,013
    Thanks
    24183

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by splansing View Post
    If there were only bolt action and pump action weapons available in Las Vegas, there would't be 58 dead and hundreds wounded. This is a fact.

    Whatever damage was done at Sandy Hook would have been worse with a bag full of high capacity magazines in an M-16 firing full auto.

    What are we defending here? The question is, what are these for, why do we need them, who do they help, are they useful for anything except killing lots of people? Does nobody have an answer to that?

    I mean, even if you want to defend them because you fear a slippery slope, you have to acknowledge that the non-mass-murdering utility of such weapons is nil.
    I do believe Alaska has asked for exemptions from hi cap mag laws previously due to the hunting of migrating caribou. They travel in packs of 20 or 30 and its dangerous otherwise. They have loosened hunting laws particularly in Native communities that can hunt whale and seal as well.

  4. #64
    Chubby Member
    Joined
    May 2006
    Posts
    8,309
    Thanks
    2383

    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    Have you ever actually been hunting? I ask, because anyone who has will tell you that, regardless of how many shots you have, the likelihood of hitting a deer after that initial miss is slim to none. All you are doing with your high capacity magazine is wasting bullets. You might as well just be shooting at cans; it'll be just about as effective.
    Well, I suppose if you're a hack you could go out with a semi-automatic assault rifle and just line up the deer and start raining the lead down on him. Take out a front leg or two, catch him near the spine, rip his guts open, maybe, a couple of other wounds and he'll go down.

    This is not how people hunt deer. Or at least, not how non-psychos hunt deer.
    Thanks from MaryAnne, Czernobog and Devil505

  5. #65
    The Republican Agenda HadEnough2's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    12,472
    Thanks
    8920

    From
    Washington State
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Because once you ban them and there is no reduction in violence you will decide to ban something else.

    Then something else after that.

    Then another thing.

    So let's say you ban high capacity magazines and the violence doesn't change.

    Will you say, "well we tried and it didn't work so I guess we will just move on now".

    Nope.
    So why have any laws at all? Why put up Speed Signs if no one obeys them? We need to outlaw all bump stock. Do you agree?
    Thanks from Friday13

  6. #66
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    41,013
    Thanks
    24183

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    Because that's working so well with Oxycotin...
    Well that's kind of my point. If its announced tomorrow another AWB they will sell out all the stock out there and then they become out in the ether. They will do whatever they please. At least stricter regulation we can keep an eye on who has them, where they are etc. When CT outlawed them we had truckloads of them up here for $5. So now nobody knows where they are.

  7. #67
    Veteran Member Devil505's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    59,843
    Thanks
    17660

    From
    Mass and Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by roberthughey View Post
    You implied only those on the right favor them
    I'm doing more than implying that!
    The OP question is basically..... does their very minor benefit to very few people outweigh their danger to the rest of us?


    IMO, only a RWNJ would answer that in the affirmative.


    Edit: Just read your name again.....why the change from mtm and welcome back.
    Last edited by Devil505; 5th October 2017 at 12:08 PM.

  8. #68
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    41,013
    Thanks
    24183

    From
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by splansing View Post
    I would love to see an honest conservative just put the truth on the table.



    Was that so hard?
    What's the point of selling the new Challenger with a Hemi that can go 150 mph? No roads in the US that fast. Americans are infamous for "wanting" things that aren't necessities.

  9. #69
    Burn it down Macduff's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    81,409
    Thanks
    21315

    From
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil505 View Post
    Anything above 10 rounds....according to the 1994-2004 AWB and upheld by the SCOTUS.
    So you want to ban 9mm pistols?

  10. #70
    Burn it down Macduff's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    81,409
    Thanks
    21315

    From
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnne View Post
    Sounds like somebody is not much of a shot. Needs treaining.

    The one and only time I ever fired a gun,I shot a string into,holding a nail. I was 15. Pee poor shooters are really a problem if they can not hit a big target.
    Try that in the dark, with adrenaline pumping, while the nail is trying to kill you.

Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Judge blocks Californias high capacity magazine ban
    By bajisima in forum Current Events
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 30th June 2017, 11:54 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 7th December 2015, 04:06 PM
  3. High Capacity Magazines Should Be Banned
    By Devil505 in forum Warfare
    Replies: 158
    Last Post: 14th April 2011, 02:10 AM
  4. High Capacity Magazines Should Be Banned
    By Devil505 in forum Warfare
    Replies: 232
    Last Post: 12th February 2011, 06:39 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed