Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 84
Thanks Tree28Thanks

Thread: Conservative Pundit Calls For Repeal of 2nd Amendment

  1. #61
    New Member jet57's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    319
    Thanks
    37

    From
    Not Here
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennyson View Post
    Your link substantiates my statements. I have no idea why you would use that paper.
    Reading is fundamental. From the source:
    Kentucky passed the first law designed to curb the practice of carrying
    concealed weapons in 1813.

  2. #62
    A Character Tennyson's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,312
    Thanks
    272

    From
    Barsoom
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Reading is fundamental. From the source:
    My statement:

    There were no federal gun regulations regarding the states prior to twentieth century judicial activism.

    Your rebuttal from your source that mentioned no federal laws prior to the twentieth century:

    Kentucky passed the first law designed to curb the practice of carrying
    concealed weapons in 1813.

    I can state with confidence that Kentucky is not the federal government.

  3. #63
    New Member jet57's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    319
    Thanks
    37

    From
    Not Here
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennyson View Post
    My statement:

    There were no federal gun regulations regarding the states prior to twentieth century judicial activism.

    Your rebuttal from your source that mentioned no federal laws prior to the twentieth century:

    Kentucky passed the first law designed to curb the practice of carrying
    concealed weapons in 1813.

    I can state with confidence that Kentucky is not the federal government.

    The point is clear; gun laws were in use long before the 20th century

  4. #64
    Veteran Member Dr Sampson Simpson's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    21,262
    Thanks
    11624

    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Nope; the problem is too many people with hard on like to use guns to shoot people.
    That's what guns are for. And humans like to hurt and kill people, look at the history of humanity
    Thanks from jet57

  5. #65
    A Character Tennyson's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,312
    Thanks
    272

    From
    Barsoom
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    The point is clear; gun laws were in use long before the 20th century
    The point was not that gun laws were in use prior to the twentieth century. Your point was that the federal government enacted gun laws prior to the twentieth century. My point was that only the states enacted gun laws because the Bill of Rights does not apply to the states, which your link, unbeknownst to you, substantiated my point.

  6. #66
    New Member jet57's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    319
    Thanks
    37

    From
    Not Here
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennyson View Post
    The point was not that gun laws were in use prior to the twentieth century. Your point was that the federal government enacted gun laws prior to the twentieth century. My point was that only the states enacted gun laws because the Bill of Rights does not apply to the states, which your link, unbeknownst to you, substantiated my point.
    I said to check on the history of gun regulation in this country. "Laws" are regulations. Your point was never substantiated.

  7. #67
    Undercovfefe Agents TennesseeRain's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    80,796
    Thanks
    49455

    From
    In the Witness Protection Program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennyson View Post
    The point was not that gun laws were in use prior to the twentieth century. Your point was that the federal government enacted gun laws prior to the twentieth century. My point was that only the states enacted gun laws because the Bill of Rights does not apply to the states, which your link, unbeknownst to you, substantiated my point.
    Yes it does. The bill of rights applies to states because of the 14th amendment. Con law 101.

  8. #68
    A Character Tennyson's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,312
    Thanks
    272

    From
    Barsoom
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    I said to check on the history of gun regulation in this country. "Laws" are regulations. Your point was never substantiated.
    You disagreed and produced law review that declared that there were no federal gun laws prior to the twentieth century, which substantiated my point. You are not going to twist it.

  9. #69
    A Character Tennyson's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,312
    Thanks
    272

    From
    Barsoom
    Quote Originally Posted by TennesseeRain View Post
    Yes it does. The bill of rights applies to states because of the 14th amendment. Con law 101.
    Since the topic is the Second Amendment, you have five options of demonstrating that the Fourteenth Amendment incorporated the Second Amendment:

    1. The plain language of the Fourteenth Amendment.
    2. The debates of the 39th Congress.
    3. First and second generation Supreme Court opinions.
    4. Twentieth century Supreme Court opinions. If you use a twentieth century Supreme Court opinions, you will need to defend the opinion with the historical evidence that the Fourteenth Amendment incorporated the Second Amendment.

    If you want to use the Bill of Rights, then the same applies as above.

  10. #70
    New Member jet57's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    319
    Thanks
    37

    From
    Not Here
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennyson View Post
    You disagreed and produced law review that declared that there were no federal gun laws prior to the twentieth century, which substantiated my point. You are not going to twist it.
    Go back and read my first response to you.

    You've moved the goal post.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Conservative pundit Erick Erickson ready to close up shop-
    By GordonGecko in forum Current Events
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 18th January 2017, 12:21 PM
  2. DePaul University Bans Conservative Pundit from Speaking on Campus
    By Robb 1988 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 2nd August 2016, 12:59 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 9th May 2016, 11:59 AM
  4. repeal 17th amendment
    By ptif219 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 360
    Last Post: 1st October 2013, 05:22 PM
  5. Repeal the 17th amendment?
    By Chase in forum Economics
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 26th February 2010, 04:27 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed