Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 77
Thanks Tree24Thanks

Thread: Prediction Nafta won't be scrapped

  1. #21
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    57,839
    Thanks
    10530

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by DebateDrone View Post
    Trump likes taking credit for "talking" about an issue. He loves saying "No one would be talking about ...an issue...if he did not bring it up first". NAFTA was a done deal.Why would Hillary bring it up.
    No matter what Trump thinks on Trade imbalances or Trade deals...It's the Congress that is drive the issue. Democrats were accused of being in the pocket of big money, and the GOP played populists this election, but when push comes to shove...we all know where big money puts their money down.
    The president may not be able to put forth legislation but everyone knows all the president needs to do is have someone in congress do it for him.

    Presidents often have complete legislation written then turn it over to a congressman who then introduces it as their own.

  2. #22
    Veteran Member Eve1's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    13,101
    Thanks
    8597

    From
    My own world
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    The president may not be able to put forth legislation but everyone knows all the president needs to do is have someone in congress do it for him.

    Presidents often have complete legislation written then turn it over to a congressman who then introduces it as their own.
    And this has to do with the fact that NAFTA will generally remain unchanged how?

  3. #23
    Veteran Member TNVolunteer73's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    29,398
    Thanks
    7611

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Eve1 View Post
    And this has to do with the fact that NAFTA will generally remain unchanged how?
    The only reason NAFTA is not renegotiated and made law is if Democrats screw the American people in the rectum again and block the new treaty.

    Got nafta Cookies, Hillary Clinton.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Meursault's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    8,226
    Thanks
    5297

    From
    Bay Area
    Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    Of course not, it would be silly to scrap NAFTA, it's a good thing.
    Was it good for higher paying American industrial jobs? Was it good for millions of Mexicans operating within rural economies? Was it good for small businesses? It was good for American corporations no doubt.

    Fast Track to Lost Jobs and Lower Wages | Economic Policy Institute

    Nafta Lowered Wages, as It Was Supposed to Do - NYTimes.com

    NAFTA at 20: One Million U.S. Jobs Lost, Higher Income Inequality | The Huffington Post


    ^ The left opposed NAFTA for years, even had a massive protest against these trade deals in 1999:




    The Dark Side of Globalization: Why Seattle's 1999 Protesters Were Right - The Atlantic


    Now that Trump has weighed in on the issue they've made an about face and are all "free market" advocates. (Based on promoting mass immigration.) Trade as facilitated by the WTO isn't even free trade as it was meant to be. Comparative advantage was never suppose to be about labor/capital mobility. It was a theory that specifically stated capital and labor would remain within home nations and these nations would trade what they produce. Free trade was never suppose to be about chasing cheap labor across the globe nor was it meant to be a means of importing cheap foreign labor to compete with domestic labor. Nor was it meant to be a situation where western companies dispossess people in developing nations. What we have now isn't "free trade" it's corporate domination. It's economic centralization placing trillions of dollars into 300 corporations bank accounts. It's all about wealth accumulation and this is one reason .1% of earths population control the vast majority of resources, productive capabilities and wealth.
    Thanks from chaos

  5. #25
    Veteran Member Eve1's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    13,101
    Thanks
    8597

    From
    My own world
    Quote Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
    The only reason NAFTA is not renegotiated and made law is if Democrats screw the American people in the rectum again and block the new treaty.

    Got nafta Cookies, Hillary Clinton.
    Hey news flash, the R's are in control, all the f_ck ups after Jan 20, 2017 the R's own all by themselves. Trump lied to you and you still don't get it, your soo NAIVE.

  6. #26
    Swamper chaos's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    3,320
    Thanks
    1499

    From
    Cyberia
    Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    Actually this is along the lines of Gary Johnson's proposals. Although to be fair I think he meant for the US to adopt the immigration policy from the beginning of the 20th century.

    If the Libertarians had the foresight to get Bill Weld to stand in the primary I think they would've actually won a couple of states. I don't agree with Bill Weld on much but he is smart, educated and seems very decent. When people actually engaged Gary Johnson he came off as an olive short of a pizza.
    To understand what went wrong with NAFTA, you first have to recognize the connection between the U.S. military and Wall Street. There are several books about that topic but Americans don't seem to care.

  7. #27
    Swamper chaos's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    3,320
    Thanks
    1499

    From
    Cyberia
    Quote Originally Posted by Meursault View Post
    Now that Trump has weighed in on the issue they've made an about face and are all "free market" advocates. (Based on promoting mass immigration.) Trade as facilitated by the WTO isn't even free trade as it was meant to be. Comparative advantage was never suppose to be about labor/capital mobility. It was a theory that specifically stated capital and labor would remain within home nations and these nations would trade what they produce. Free trade was never suppose to be about chasing cheap labor across the globe nor was it meant to be a means of importing cheap foreign labor to compete with domestic labor. Nor was it meant to be a situation where western companies dispossess people in developing nations. What we have now isn't "free trade" it's corporate domination. It's economic centralization placing trillions of dollars into 300 corporations bank accounts. It's all about wealth accumulation and this is one reason .1% of earths population control the vast majority of resources, productive capabilities and wealth.
    ^^^ This right here explains the big picture on most of the problems the world faces today. There is another bailout on its way.

  8. #28
    Veteran Member TNVolunteer73's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    29,398
    Thanks
    7611

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Eve1 View Post
    Hey news flash, the R's are in control, all the f_ck ups after Jan 20, 2017 the R's own all by themselves. Trump lied to you and you still don't get it, your soo NAIVE.
    Once again.. Eve1 is clueless.. how is Eve1 clueless.. for a new treaty there must be 67 senators voting to ratify..

    Now if the democrats want to screw the American people in the rectum. they block the new treaty.. there are only 52 GOP Senators.

  9. #29
    Swamper chaos's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    3,320
    Thanks
    1499

    From
    Cyberia
    Quote Originally Posted by DebateDrone View Post
    Trump likes taking credit for "talking" about an issue. He loves saying "No one would be talking about ...an issue...if he did not bring it up first". NAFTA was a done deal.Why would Hillary bring it up.
    No matter what Trump thinks on Trade imbalances or Trade deals...It's the Congress that is drive the issue. Democrats were accused of being in the pocket of big money, and the GOP played populists this election, but when push comes to shove...we all know where big money puts their money down.
    Trump doesn't like being made a fool of. The GOP may not like what Trump is about to do if he is as good at business as he claims to be.

    I heard that Leonardo DiCaprio may have gotten through to Trump with spreadsheets. CEOs love spreadsheets. There is still a possibility for Trump to do what is best for America instead of what is best for the GOP.

  10. #30
    Swamper chaos's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    3,320
    Thanks
    1499

    From
    Cyberia
    Quote Originally Posted by Eve1 View Post
    I'm don't think so TNVolunteer73. Nothing is going to change in terms of the general frame work and there will be no scraping of it. What you see is just posturing so he can say he is working on it. Just like the Romney interview and the Gore meeting its just for show. Carlos Slim is reportedly very happy after meeting with Trump which means he was re-assured there will be business as usual when it comes to Mexico. But TNVolunteer73 look SQUIRREL….
    I think you look good in yellow.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 3rd October 2014, 06:48 AM
  2. NAFTA turns 20
    By Two If By Tea in forum Current Events
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18th August 2014, 05:23 AM
  3. Like NAFTA, But Worse
    By Kropotkin in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 5th June 2011, 09:01 AM
  4. Like NAFTA, But Worse
    By Kropotkin in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 4th June 2011, 04:44 PM
  5. US Backing Out of NAFTA?
    By JavaBlack in forum Current Events
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2nd April 2010, 12:56 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed