Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
Thanks Tree5Thanks

Thread: GOP Takes First Step To Repeal "Obamacare"

  1. #1
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    40,290
    Thanks
    31308

    From
    CA

    GOP Takes First Step To Repeal "Obamacare"

    And in the middle of the night no less..

    WASHINGTON (AP) The Senate early Thursday passed a measure to take the first step forward on dismantling President Barack Obama's health care law, responding to pressure to move quickly even as Republicans and President-elect Trump grapple with what the replace it with.

    The nearly party-line 51-48 vote came on a nonbinding Republican-backed budget measure that eases the way for action on subsequent repeal legislation as soon as next month.

    "We must act quickly to bring relief to the American people," said Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky. The House is slated to vote on the measure on Friday, though some Republicans there have misgivings about setting the repeal effort in motion without a better idea of the replacement plan.

    https://apnews.com/1792f4029b9d49a39...&utm_medium=AP

    Holy Crap - and hey McConnell - lots of people in your own state use Obamacare you dbag.

    Over 22 million people will be directly hit - with nothing to take it's place.

    Wonder if MM knew about this...and he's hasn't even been sworn in yet...
    Thanks from Friday13

  2. #2
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    58,072
    Thanks
    10580

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by HayJenn View Post
    And in the middle of the night no less..

    WASHINGTON (AP) — The Senate early Thursday passed a measure to take the first step forward on dismantling President Barack Obama's health care law, responding to pressure to move quickly even as Republicans and President-elect Trump grapple with what the replace it with.

    The nearly party-line 51-48 vote came on a nonbinding Republican-backed budget measure that eases the way for action on subsequent repeal legislation as soon as next month.

    "We must act quickly to bring relief to the American people," said Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky. The House is slated to vote on the measure on Friday, though some Republicans there have misgivings about setting the repeal effort in motion without a better idea of the replacement plan.

    https://apnews.com/1792f4029b9d49a39...&utm_medium=AP

    Holy Crap - and hey McConnell - lots of people in your own state use Obamacare you dbag.

    Over 22 million people will be directly hit - with nothing to take it's place.

    Wonder if MM knew about this...and he's hasn't even been sworn in yet...
    His constituents have known he want's to repeal this and they still re-elected him in 2014.

    It appears his state is behind him don't ya think?

  3. #3
    Veteran Member carpe diem's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    26,839
    Thanks
    2468

    From
    San Diego, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by HayJenn View Post
    And in the middle of the night no less..

    WASHINGTON (AP) — The Senate early Thursday passed a measure to take the first step forward on dismantling President Barack Obama's health care law, responding to pressure to move quickly even as Republicans and President-elect Trump grapple with what the replace it with.

    The nearly party-line 51-48 vote came on a nonbinding Republican-backed budget measure that eases the way for action on subsequent repeal legislation as soon as next month.

    "We must act quickly to bring relief to the American people," said Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky. The House is slated to vote on the measure on Friday, though some Republicans there have misgivings about setting the repeal effort in motion without a better idea of the replacement plan.

    https://apnews.com/1792f4029b9d49a39...&utm_medium=AP

    Holy Crap - and hey McConnell - lots of people in your own state use Obamacare you dbag.

    Over 22 million people will be directly hit - with nothing to take it's place.

    Wonder if MM knew about this...and he's hasn't even been sworn in yet...
    Don't worry - you'll know all about the new plan, right after they pass it.

  4. #4
    told you so Amelia's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    43,616
    Thanks
    25142

    From
    Wisconsin
    Paul Ryan has come on board with the crowd who says don't repeal unless the replacement is ready.

    The protests are working.
    Thanks from GordonGecko

  5. #5
    Veteran Member GordonGecko's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    29,973
    Thanks
    22628

    From
    VA
    Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    Paul Ryan has come on board with the crowd who says don't repeal unless the replacement is ready.

    The protests are working.
    Except Ryan is still saying "We'll have a replacement bill SOON!".....which is what the Republicans said

    six months ago....

    a year ago....

    two years ago...

    three years ago...

    four years ago...

    five years ago...

    six years ago...

    AND seven years ago.

  6. #6
    Veteran Member GordonGecko's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    29,973
    Thanks
    22628

    From
    VA
    Quote Originally Posted by carpe diem View Post
    Don't worry - you'll know all about the new plan, right after they pass it.
    See? Rightwingers KNOW that Ryan and the Republicans....have NOTHING.

    There is no replacement bill....Ryan's been playing for time for years now (Boehner before him), but after next Friday? Time's up.

    No more excuses for the GOP.

  7. #7
    told you so Amelia's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    43,616
    Thanks
    25142

    From
    Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Except Ryan is still saying "We'll have a replacement bill SOON!".....which is what the Republicans said

    six months ago....

    a year ago....

    two years ago...

    three years ago...

    four years ago...

    five years ago...

    six years ago...

    AND seven years ago.

    Exactly.

    So this becomes interesting. He is assuring us that there will not be a repeal without a replace at the same time. We have seen how difficult it has been for them to come up with a replace. So ... likely outcomes are

    (A) he goes back on his word (which he may be able to get the House to okay but which I don't think will be backed up by the Senate) or

    (B) this gets kicked down the road.


    But maybe they'll surprise us with

    (C) something which keeps all the promises about preexisting conditions and such and makes marginal repairs so they can say they fixed it and then move on to something else.

  8. #8
    Southern Strategy Liberal OldGaffer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    36,263
    Thanks
    38381

    From
    Nashville, TN
    I think "D" is going to be the result, a complete repeal, no replacement, and a loss of insurance for over 20 million with no Republican regrets. By 2018, the pain will be flushed down the memory hole and we will hear about how great the new pre 2008 healthcare system is doing.

  9. #9
    told you so Amelia's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    43,616
    Thanks
    25142

    From
    Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGaffer View Post
    I think "D" is going to be the result, a complete repeal, no replacement, and a loss of insurance for over 20 million with no Republican regrets. By 2018, the pain will be flushed down the memory hole and we will hear about how great the new pre 2008 healthcare system is doing.

    Yeah, maybe I'm silly to think that McCain, Graham, Collins, Johnson and others won't go along with that. If the Republicans lose any three people who dig their heels in and say, "Show us the replacement first", then they can't pass anything.
    Thanks from boontito

  10. #10
    Veteran Member TNVolunteer73's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    29,415
    Thanks
    7611

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    Yeah, maybe I'm silly to think that McCain, Graham, Collins, Johnson and others won't go along with that. If the Republicans lose any three people who dig their heels in and say, "Show us the replacement first", then they can't pass anything.
    They have already voted for the first step of Repeal.. and Amelia, if you would inform yourself Trumps HHS Nominee has had a viable replacement plan already written and ready to introduce.. But then again that is if you had informed yourself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 57
    Last Post: 6th January 2017, 09:58 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11th November 2016, 10:24 AM
  3. Replies: 36
    Last Post: 31st October 2016, 02:11 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12th November 2015, 11:21 AM
  5. Jeb unveils his "repeal and replace Obamacare" "plan"-
    By GordonGecko in forum Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13th October 2015, 08:48 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed