Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 113
Thanks Tree48Thanks

Thread: Major Blow to Obamacare Mandate

  1. #1
    Veteran Member John T Ford's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    22,745
    Thanks
    6422

    From
    Great State of Texas

    Major Blow to Obamacare Mandate

    "For most filers, filling out line 61 would be mandatory. The IRS would not accept 1040s unless the coverage box was checked, or the shared responsibility payment noted, or the exemption form included. Otherwise they would be labeled "silent returns" and rejected.

    Instead, however, filling out that line will be optional."


    Major Blow to Obamacare Mandate: IRS Won't Reject Tax Returns That Don't Answer Health Insurance Question - Hit & Run : Reason.com

    If this is indeed true, this will provide relief to millions of Americans who have lost their insurance due to Obamacare.

    It appears filers now can opt out from answering the question about whether they have insurance and not fear their 1040 will be rejected by the IRS.

    Now millions Americans who cannot afford the skyrocketing cost of health insurance thanks to the catastrophic disaster known as Obamacare, will no longer be penalized for not being able to afford health insurance.

    Thanks President Trump.
    Thanks from libertariat720, excalibur and Babylon

  2. #2
    Chaos in fourteen lines Minotaur's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    17,560
    Thanks
    14089

    From
    USA
    Proof positive Trump has no idea what he is doing either legally or to the healthcare costs to consumers. And you thought Obamacare was expensive? Ha
    Thanks from nic

  3. #3
    Veteran Member John T Ford's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    22,745
    Thanks
    6422

    From
    Great State of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
    Proof positive Trump has no idea what he is doing either legally or to the healthcare costs to consumers. And you thought Obamacare was expensive? Ha
    Whatever you say.

    I'm sure millions of Americans like myself who cannot afford the skyrocketing cost of health insurance thanks to Obamacare will be pleased to know they can opt out of being fined for not being able to afford it.

  4. #4
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    38,997
    Thanks
    30426

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by John T Ford View Post
    Whatever you say.

    I'm sure millions of Americans like myself who cannot afford the skyrocketing cost of health insurance thanks to Obamacare will be pleased to know they can opt out of being fined for not being able to afford it.
    Yeah, you know if you can't afford it there are ways you can either opt out or get help paying for it right??

  5. #5
    Veteran Member John T Ford's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    22,745
    Thanks
    6422

    From
    Great State of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by HayJenn View Post
    Yeah, you know if you can't afford it there are ways you can either opt out or get help paying for it right??

    Not if you do not qualify for subsides.

  6. #6
    Veteran Member carpe diem's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    26,578
    Thanks
    2402

    From
    San Diego, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by John T Ford View Post
    "For most filers, filling out line 61 would be mandatory. The IRS would not accept 1040s unless the coverage box was checked, or the shared responsibility payment noted, or the exemption form included. Otherwise they would be labeled "silent returns" and rejected.

    Instead, however, filling out that line will be optional."


    Major Blow to Obamacare Mandate: IRS Won't Reject Tax Returns That Don't Answer Health Insurance Question - Hit & Run : Reason.com

    If this is indeed true, this will provide relief to millions of Americans who have lost their insurance due to Obamacare.

    It appears filers now can opt out from answering the question about whether they have insurance and not fear their 1040 will be rejected by the IRS.

    Now millions Americans who cannot afford the skyrocketing cost of health insurance thanks to the catastrophic disaster known as Obamacare, will no longer be penalized for not being able to afford health insurance.

    Thanks President Trump.
    Now that is great news right there!
    Thanks from John T Ford

  7. #7
    The Covfefe are Coming! BitterPill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    6,815
    Thanks
    4504

    From
    SoCal
    Quote Originally Posted by John T Ford View Post
    "For most filers, filling out line 61 would be mandatory. The IRS would not accept 1040s unless the coverage box was checked, or the shared responsibility payment noted, or the exemption form included. Otherwise they would be labeled "silent returns" and rejected.

    Instead, however, filling out that line will be optional."


    Major Blow to Obamacare Mandate: IRS Won't Reject Tax Returns That Don't Answer Health Insurance Question - Hit & Run : Reason.com

    If this is indeed true, this will provide relief to millions of Americans who have lost their insurance due to Obamacare.

    It appears filers now can opt out from answering the question about whether they have insurance and not fear their 1040 will be rejected by the IRS.

    Now millions Americans who cannot afford the skyrocketing cost of health insurance thanks to the catastrophic disaster known as Obamacare, will no longer be penalized for not being able to afford health insurance.

    Thanks President Trump.
    Who will end up paying for it if and when those without healthcare get sick?


    Me and, more importantly, you.


  8. #8
    Moderator libertariat720's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    7,042
    Thanks
    2183

    From
    ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by John T Ford View Post
    "For most filers, filling out line 61 would be mandatory. The IRS would not accept 1040s unless the coverage box was checked, or the shared responsibility payment noted, or the exemption form included. Otherwise they would be labeled "silent returns" and rejected.

    Instead, however, filling out that line will be optional."


    Major Blow to Obamacare Mandate: IRS Won't Reject Tax Returns That Don't Answer Health Insurance Question - Hit & Run : Reason.com

    If this is indeed true, this will provide relief to millions of Americans who have lost their insurance due to Obamacare.

    It appears filers now can opt out from answering the question about whether they have insurance and not fear their 1040 will be rejected by the IRS.

    Now millions Americans who cannot afford the skyrocketing cost of health insurance thanks to the catastrophic disaster known as Obamacare, will no longer be penalized for not being able to afford health insurance.

    Thanks President Trump.
    That means the mandate is effectively dead. Right on. From your source:

    But what would have been a mandatory disclosure will instead be voluntary. Silent returns will no longer be automatically rejected. The change is a direct result of the executive order President Donald Trump issued in January directing the government to provide relief from Obamacare to individuals and insurers, within the boundaries of the law.

    "The recent executive order directed federal agencies to exercise authority and discretion available to them to reduce potential burden," the IRS said in a statement to Reason. "Consistent with that, the IRS has decided to make changes that would continue to allow electronic and paper returns to be accepted for processing in instances where a taxpayer doesn't indicate their coverage status."

    The tax agency says the change will reduce the health law's strain on taxpayers. "Processing silent returns means that taxpayer returns are not systemically rejected, allowing them to be processed and minimizing burden on taxpayers, including those expecting a refund," the IRS statement said.
    The mandate was harmful to the taxpayer, that's clear. Good on Trump that something he did actually resulted positively.
    Thanks from John T Ford

  9. #9
    Veteran Member EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    16,197
    Thanks
    8403

    From
    Indiana
    Quote Originally Posted by BitterPill View Post
    Who will end up paying for it if and when those without healthcare get sick?


    Me and, more importantly, you.
    That's not important to people that don't understand how insurance works.

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Pragmatist's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    44,358
    Thanks
    12755

    so more will drop coverage and ins companies will raise rates. I can't wait.
    Thanks from HayJenn

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. This Is What It Costs To Ignore Obamacare's Individual Mandate in 2016
    By meridian5455 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 14th December 2015, 01:06 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 9th March 2015, 11:50 AM
  3. SCOTUS deals obamacare a blow
    By Ginger in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 331
    Last Post: 3rd July 2014, 05:02 AM
  4. White House Delays Obamacare's Individual Mandate By Six Weeks
    By meridian5455 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 24th October 2013, 01:09 PM
  5. Florida Judge Rules That Mandate for Obamacare Unconstitutional.....
    By Midwest Media Critic in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 1st February 2011, 03:34 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed