Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34
Thanks Tree14Thanks

Thread: Trump budget eliminates Essential Air Service to rural communities

  1. #1
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    13,216
    Thanks
    3539

    From
    AK

    Trump budget eliminates Essential Air Service to rural communities

    Trump budget cuts air service in rural communities | TheHill

    "President Trump’s budget would end federal support for air service in rural communities, many of which voted for him in the election.

    The spending blueprint, released Thursday, proposes entirely eliminating funding for the Essential Air Service (EAS) program, arguing that EAS flights “are not full and have high subsidy costs per passenger” and that “several EAS-eligible communities are relatively close to major airports.”

    The 40-year old program, which costs taxpayers about $175 million per year, gives small towns and communities access to air service, providing better access to businesses in those areas. Some local officials have said they could not continue air service without federal subsidies."


    I doubt this will make it through the Republican-controlled Congress, given how many rural votes feed their party. Alaska in particular depends on this, given we do not have road systems connecting our communities to everywhere else.
    Thanks from bajisima and pragmatic

  2. #2
    Veteran Member bajisima's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    36,058
    Thanks
    21383

    From
    New Hampshire
    This is just a preliminary budget by Mulvaney with various wishes and desires in it. It will be reworked and fought over for months. What comes out could look very different. Murkowski, Collins and Thune could sink this budget all on their own with this single issue if they wanted to. They will have a lot of input.

  3. #3
    Established Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    7,393
    Thanks
    2144

    From
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Trump budget cuts air service in rural communities | TheHill

    "President Trump’s budget would end federal support for air service in rural communities, many of which voted for him in the election.

    The spending blueprint, released Thursday, proposes entirely eliminating funding for the Essential Air Service (EAS) program, arguing that EAS flights “are not full and have high subsidy costs per passenger” and that “several EAS-eligible communities are relatively close to major airports.”

    The 40-year old program, which costs taxpayers about $175 million per year, gives small towns and communities access to air service, providing better access to businesses in those areas. Some local officials have said they could not continue air service without federal subsidies."


    I doubt this will make it through the Republican-controlled Congress, given how many rural votes feed their party. Alaska in particular depends on this, given we do not have road systems connecting our communities to everywhere else.
    Mr. Neomalthusian,

    Is it that time again? You know, about every four years there is a call to eliminate this program, but it always dies in Congress.

  4. #4
    the "good" prag pragmatic's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    25,356
    Thanks
    14849

    From
    Under the boardwalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Trump budget cuts air service in rural communities | TheHill

    "President Trump’s budget would end federal support for air service in rural communities, many of which voted for him in the election.

    The spending blueprint, released Thursday, proposes entirely eliminating funding for the Essential Air Service (EAS) program, arguing that EAS flights “are not full and have high subsidy costs per passenger” and that “several EAS-eligible communities are relatively close to major airports.”

    The 40-year old program, which costs taxpayers about $175 million per year, gives small towns and communities access to air service, providing better access to businesses in those areas. Some local officials have said they could not continue air service without federal subsidies."


    I doubt this will make it through the Republican-controlled Congress, given how many rural votes feed their party. Alaska in particular depends on this, given we do not have road systems connecting our communities to everywhere else.
    Does this budget item belong with the Federal government?

    Why wouldn't the state of Alaska pick up the tab??
    Thanks from MaryAnne and George Meyers

  5. #5
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    13,216
    Thanks
    3539

    From
    AK
    Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    Does this budget item belong with the Federal government?

    Why wouldn't the state of Alaska pick up the tab??
    Would you say the same thing about federal highways money? Essential Air Service is one of the things Alaska gets in lieu of a road system.



    And to answer your question literally, because we don't have the revenue to fund any such thing currently. In general, the feds control most of the state's land and resources and have put us on programs of federal support instead of letting the state develop its resources.
    Thanks from Amelia and pragmatic

  6. #6
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    25,052
    Thanks
    9200

    From
    on the river
    A perfect opportunity for the private sector to step in.
    Thanks from George Meyers

  7. #7
    Senior Member Dragonfly5's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,058
    Thanks
    7176

    From
    Texas
    Who did Alaska support during this past election?
    Thanks from NightSwimmer and MaryAnne

  8. #8
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    13,216
    Thanks
    3539

    From
    AK
    Quote Originally Posted by webrockk View Post
    A perfect opportunity for the private sector to step in.
    The private sector is already providing the air transport, they'll just provide a lot less of it without the subsidy, and prices of goods spike, travel prices spike, number of medevacs spikes for rural folks who rely on it for timely transportation. Rural Alaskan communities are struggling as it is, mainly because they're prohibited (by the feds) from accessing or developing their lands. Quid pro quo, if you want rural places to self-sustain, you can't prohibit them from doing the types of things that would allow them to do so.

    The need for support goes away when you let them develop their economies first. You don't deprive the support and tell them "do it yourself" when regulations say "by the way you're prohibited from doing it yourself." That's just a roundabout way of killing rural communities.
    Last edited by Neomalthusian; 17th March 2017 at 02:13 PM.

  9. #9
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    25,052
    Thanks
    9200

    From
    on the river
    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    The private sector is already providing the air transport, they'll just provide a lot less of it without the subsidy, and/or prices will spike for rural folks. Rural Alaskan communities are struggling as it is, mainly because they're prohibited (by the feds) from accessing or developing their lands. Quid pro quo, if you want rural places to self-sustain, you can't prohibit them from doing the types of things that would allow them to do so.
    Too bad. No one is forced to live in Alaska....if Alaskans wanted all of the comforts, conveniences and bargains of the lower 48, they'd live in the lower 48.

  10. #10
    Moderate Extremist Blues63's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    2,252
    Thanks
    1504

    From
    Planet Stupid™
    Quote Originally Posted by webrockk View Post
    Too bad. No one is forced to live in Alaska....if Alaskans wanted all of the comforts and conveniences of the lower 48, they'd live in the lower 48.
    Seriously? Could you post anything more stupid? Many are there purely for work in the resource sector. I can't believe you posted such a brain dead comment.
    Thanks from Dragonfly5

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. GOP eliminates election commission
    By Lunchboxxy in forum Current Events
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 7th February 2017, 02:41 PM
  2. Miss Teen USA eliminates swimsuits
    By The Man in forum Current Events
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 29th June 2016, 02:55 PM
  3. Replies: 74
    Last Post: 10th October 2013, 08:15 AM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 27th May 2011, 07:40 PM
  5. Why Drilling Is Absolutely Essential For National Security
    By Freedom for All in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 10th September 2008, 12:21 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed