Page 49 of 53 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 490 of 526
Thanks Tree349Thanks

Thread: Funding Single Payer

  1. #481
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    51,003
    Thanks
    29569

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    And they all have sick kids?
    All humans need care for illness and injury, as well as preventive care, birth to death.
    Thanks from labrea

  2. #482
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    30,028
    Thanks
    10932

    From
    on the river
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Nope. Trading universal care for replacing the income tax with a consumption tax is not an option.
    then I'm sorry, I'm going to have to vote no.

  3. #483
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    23

    From
    land, air, and sea
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Nope. Trading universal care for replacing the income tax with a consumption tax is not an option.
    I agree. I would take the consumption tax, but refuse to support UHC.

  4. #484
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    23

    From
    land, air, and sea
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    All humans need care for illness and injury, as well as preventive care, birth to death.
    Occasionally. I say let them pay as needed. Those who don't use the system don't pay the system. Those who do, do.

  5. #485
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    51,003
    Thanks
    29569

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    Occasionally. I say let them pay as needed. Those who don't use the system don't pay the system. Those who do, do.
    This is known as pay as you go. It's not insurance of any sort.

  6. #486
    Veteran Member Madeline's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    51,003
    Thanks
    29569

    From
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by webrockk View Post
    then I'm sorry, I'm going to have to vote no.
    Today.

    Today you refuse to support it.

    Maybe tomorrow.....

  7. #487
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    30,028
    Thanks
    10932

    From
    on the river
    When we drive our automobiles, there are two things that govern our behavior....self/family preservation and fear of financial penalties....the financial penalty levied by the state, and the financial penalty our insurance carrier will levy. If we prove careless, reckless, or otherwise irresponsible, those financial penalties can become quite severe....conversely, if we prove law abiding, conscientious and defensive behind the wheel, we can expect discounts.

    What sort of incentives/disincentives would govern individual behaviors in a Single Payer system that is funded by nameless, faceless taxes? Should we care about that? Should we care when we're doing our part to save the nameless, faceless system money, while the neighborhood's teenagers are being taken to emergency rooms for skateboard induced broken bones every few weeks? Should we care when we're eating healthy and hitting the gym, while 3 out of 10 of our neighbors and their children are morbidly obese? Might we foresee any opportunity for animosity and contempt to build with any of these and other scenarios playing out all over the fruited plains?

    How do we address it?
    Last edited by webrockk; 21st March 2017 at 05:52 AM.

  8. #488
    Veteran Member Kontrary's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    13,923
    Thanks
    12533

    From
    Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by webrockk View Post
    When we drive our automobiles, there are two things that govern our behavior....self/family preservation and fear of financial penalties....the financial penalty levied by the state, and the financial penalty our insurance carrier will levy. If we prove careless, reckless, or otherwise irresponsible, those financial penalties can become quite severe....conversely, if we prove law abiding, conscientious and defensive behind the wheel, we can expect discounts.

    What sort of incentives/disincentives would govern individual behaviors in a Single Payer system that is funded by nameless, faceless taxes? Should we care about that? Should we care when we're doing our part to save the nameless, faceless system money, while the neighborhood's teenagers are being taken to emergency rooms for skateboard induced broken bones every few weeks? Should we care when we're eating healthy and hitting the gym, while 3 out of 10 of our neighbors and their children are morbidly obese? Might we foresee any opportunity for animosity and contempt to build with any of these and other scenarios playing out all over the fruited plains?

    How do we address it?
    You assume it needs to be addressed....its a fictional problem you project, but when you look at the rest of the developed world who do have a tax funded system, this is NOT a problem in ANY of those nations...in fact, most of them live healthier lifestyles than the US and there is no incentive or punishment to make them do that!
    Thanks from OldGaffer and labrea

  9. #489
    Veteran Member bonehead's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    14,172
    Thanks
    5251

    From
    south
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontrary View Post
    You assume it needs to be addressed....its a fictional problem you project, but when you look at the rest of the developed world who do have a tax funded system, this is NOT a problem in ANY of those nations...in fact, most of them live healthier lifestyles than the US and there is no incentive or punishment to make them do that!
    correct. unlike animals, humans do not respond well to the carrot/stick ideology. they tend to revolt rather quickly.
    Thanks from Kontrary

  10. #490
    Southern Strategy Liberal OldGaffer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    36,220
    Thanks
    38332

    From
    Nashville, TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    Occasionally. I say let them pay as needed. Those who don't use the system don't pay the system. Those who do, do.
    I always admired that about Republicans, they can say "pay or die" and never feel an iota of guilt or remorse condemning millions of poor and indigent to early death from lack of health care.
    Thanks from labrea

Page 49 of 53 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The ACA and Single Payer
    By Meursault in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 2nd September 2014, 05:52 AM
  2. How About Single Payer Instead Of ObamaCare?
    By SleeperCell in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 212
    Last Post: 13th August 2013, 07:25 AM
  3. Vermont Passes Single-Payer Healthcare
    By Morgan in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 13th January 2012, 04:01 PM
  4. Obama wants single payer insurance.
    By THOR in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 18th October 2009, 05:03 AM

Search tags for this page

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed