Members banned from this thread: Blah


Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 222
Thanks Tree171Thanks

Thread: Show me the best arguments for progressivism please.

  1. #31
    Veteran Member TNVolunteer73's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    28,372
    Thanks
    7378

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by DebateDrone View Post
    The right has done an effective job is demonizing unions and collective bargaining. They even still blame workers seeking better pay and better working conditions as a reason jobs left the area. The fact of the matter is that American workers could never compete with slave wages American business have enjoyed overseas for the past 30 years.

    The right has excellent reasons why liberalism "does not work"...but little information on how to make their ideas work in real world situations.

    Right now the only two issues important to the right are 1] ending federal participation in health care insurance...and 2] reforming taxes to give tax relief to the most wealthy.

    I don't know what the right believes what America should be past those two issues.
    Democrats have done their best.. BANKRUPTING unions. They sold the Unions out to Illegal immigrants that undercut unions

  2. #32
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    29,055
    Thanks
    3564

    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    Posts #19 and #20 don't seem like mere emotions. They seem like perfectly reasonable and logical points to me and do a much better job of explaining progressivism than you ever could. Your definition of progressivism comes from a purely emotional perspective based on your need to demonize the left. Progressivism, essentially, is about making society work for the largest number of people possible. And it does embrace a lot of Keynesian economics.
    If you honestly think that the voting public is attracted to complex arguments, you have a more optimistic view of human nature than I do. Arguments based on debating points that are judged by a sophisticated jury have very little to do with how elections happen. It is the simplistic and emotionally appealing arguments that get people elected. This is why a rational, even handed proposal that is based in numbers usually goes nowhere. So, the forced compassion vs national pride poles will continue.

  3. #33
    Veteran Member DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    28,130
    Thanks
    24224

    From
    SWUSA
    Quote Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
    Democrats have done their best.. BANKRUPTING unions. They sold the Unions out to Illegal immigrants that undercut unions
    Noted. One more unsubstantiated opinion.
    Thanks from MaryAnne and Panzareta

  4. #34
    Cat-tastic Babba's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    62,580
    Thanks
    42742

    From
    So. Md.
    Quote Originally Posted by kmiller1610 View Post
    If you honestly think that the voting public is attracted to complex arguments, you have a more optimistic view of human nature than I do. Arguments based on debating points that are judged by a sophisticated jury have very little to do with how elections happen. It is the simplistic and emotionally appealing arguments that get people elected. This is why a rational, even handed proposal that is based in numbers usually goes nowhere. So, the forced compassion vs national pride poles will continue.
    Yes, I know. Hillary had complex solutions that didn't fit on a bumper sticker and that's a one reason why she lost. And she wouldn't just lie outright to people. Sad and pathetic.
    Thanks from BigLeRoy and MaryAnne

  5. #35
    Veteran Member DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    28,130
    Thanks
    24224

    From
    SWUSA
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    Yes, I know. Hillary had complex solutions that didn't fit on a bumper sticker and that's a one reason why she lost. And she wouldn't just lie outright to people. Sad and pathetic.
    What was Clinton's solutions in coal country and rust belt...you keep your benefits and we transition you to new...sustainable jobs and job training.

    Instead they got lies that Mr. Fixit was going to bring their jobs back.

    The fact is after Trump fails...they will still be in need of benefits and jobs. They may lose their benefits voting for Trump. So not only do they not get that job...they are worse off losing benefits.
    Thanks from Babba, nic, BigLeRoy and 1 others

  6. #36
    Veteran Member TNVolunteer73's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    28,372
    Thanks
    7378

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by DebateDrone View Post
    What was Clinton's solutions in coal country and rust belt...you keep your benefits and we transition you to new...sustainable jobs and job training.

    Instead they got lies that Mr. Fixit was going to bring their jobs back.

    The fact is after Trump fails...they will still be in need of benefits and jobs. They may lose their benefits voting for Trump. So not only do they not get that job...they are worse off losing benefits.
    Cut Taxes on the Rich Raise taxes on the middle Class

  7. #37
    Veteran Member bonehead's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    13,691
    Thanks
    5024

    From
    south
    Quote Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
    Cut Taxes on the Rich Raise taxes on the middle Class
    actually, you raise taxes on all and increase benefits for all.

  8. #38
    Veteran Member TNVolunteer73's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    28,372
    Thanks
    7378

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    actually, you raise taxes on all and increase benefits for all.
    Nope Trump Reagan and Bush LOWERED taxes across the board.. Clinton Cut taxes on the 10% Raised taxes on the 90%

    Raised income taxes all brackets, cut Capital Gains tax rates by 45% (investment income)

  9. #39
    Veteran Member TNVolunteer73's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    28,372
    Thanks
    7378

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by DebateDrone View Post
    Noted. One more unsubstantiated opinion.

    Nope Unions greatest losses came from 2009-2016

  10. #40
    Veteran Member bonehead's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    13,691
    Thanks
    5024

    From
    south
    Quote Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
    Nope Trump Reagan and Bush LOWERED taxes across the board.. Clinton Cut taxes on the 10% Raised taxes on the 90%

    Raised income taxes all brackets, cut Capital Gains tax rates by 45% (investment income)
    and whom, may I ask, got increased benefits?
    Thanks from Panzareta

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The failure of progressivism in one simple chart...
    By Raoul_Duke in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13th December 2013, 05:56 AM
  2. Progressivism
    By Justoffal in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 27th June 2013, 08:08 AM
  3. Another two by four to the head of progressivism...
    By Raoul_Duke in forum Economics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 8th May 2013, 03:40 AM
  4. The Best Books to Combat Progressivism.
    By Angel of Dearth in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 3rd September 2012, 02:50 PM
  5. Progressivism (or liberalism)
    By Blueneck in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 195
    Last Post: 10th May 2012, 10:53 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed