Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 112
Thanks Tree71Thanks

Thread: Curtains for union coercion (Employee Rights Act)

  1. #101
    Senior Member vikingbeast's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2013
    Posts
    11,025
    Thanks
    5970

    From
    Banned Camp Segregation Unit
    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Most unionism is public sector. The Employee Rights Act enables employees to exercise a right they already have, and have had for years, but which has been made impractical to exercise because of actions taken by unions and the NLRB.



    And we have given it the means.



    That may be. I'm not here promoting Republicans though. I'm here promoting the Employee Rights Act.



    It has to do with your tangent about unions doing good things for up-and-coming workers because companies abandoned them. That was your diversion from the thread topic. I contend that unions do not do good things for newer workers because they are obsessed with seniority privilege. This explains part of why they are not good at attracting younger workers to their membership.



    Cost of care grows indirectly when it's covered and paid for liberally, so to expect insurance companies to have controlled cost growth suggests insurance companies should have covered and paid for less health care in their insurance policies. This is not a notion Democrats What types of health care goods and services should insurance companies have refused to pay for over the years, in your opinion?
    And thank God that most unions left today cover public sector jobs, because those jobs are MISmanaged by middle management that is about as clueless upper management and political as hell. Where I teach, in a prison, I'm glad to have union representation for that reason, and the fact that I'm surrounded daily by 2,500 high-level felons who could sue me "just because."

    By the by, and I'm not complaining, but I am going on 32 years and can't afford to retire because of the insurance that would eat my retirement up. Just a fact. So that right-wing lie of us public sector workers having it so soft is just that, a lie.

  2. #102
    Veteran Member Moorhuhn Wanted Champion Hollywood's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    65,063
    Thanks
    30471

    From
    Memphis, Tn.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
    Yes Socialists like Hitler love unions until they come to power and no longer need unions.
    Hitler also loved chocolate cake. What in the fuck is your point?

  3. #103
    The Covfefe are Coming! BitterPill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    7,152
    Thanks
    4680

    From
    SoCal
    Quote Originally Posted by TNVolunteer73 View Post
    Yes Socialists like Hitler love unions until they come to power and no longer need unions.
    Hitler destroyed the unions, and then he created his own:

    The next day, Hitler ordered the Sturm Abteilung (SA) to destroy the trade union movement. Their headquarters throughout the country were occupied, union funds confiscated, the unions dissolved and the leaders arrested. Large numbers were sent to concentration camps. Within a few days 169 different trade unions were under Nazi control. (20)

    Hitler gave Robert Ley the task of forming the German Labour Front (DAF). Ley, in his first proclamation, stated: "Workers! Your institutions are sacred to us National Socialists. I myself am a poor peasant's son and understand poverty... I know the exploitation of anonymous capitalism. Workers! I swear to you, we will not only keep everything that exists, we will build up the protection and the rights of the workers still further." (21)

    Three weeks later Hitler decreed a law bringing an end to collective bargaining and providing that henceforth "labour trustees", appointed by him, would "regulate labour contracts" and maintain "labour peace". Since the decisions of the trustees were to be legally binding, the law, in effect, outlawed strikes. Ley promised "to restore absolute leadership to the natural leader of a factory - that is, the employer... Only the employer can decide." (22)

    The German Labour Front was the only union organization allowed in the Third Reich and had over 20 million members. Ley appointed twelve state officials whose job it was to regulate wages, conditions of work and labour contracts in each of their respective districts, and to maintain peace between workers and employers. (23) The DAF was "rendered totally docile and workers no longer had any voice in management". (24)

    Trade Unions in Nazi Germany
    Thanks from Hollywood

  4. #104
    Veteran Member Moorhuhn Wanted Champion Hollywood's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    65,063
    Thanks
    30471

    From
    Memphis, Tn.
    Quote Originally Posted by BitterPill View Post
    Hitler destroyed the unions, and then he created his own:

    The next day, Hitler ordered the Sturm Abteilung (SA) to destroy the trade union movement. Their headquarters throughout the country were occupied, union funds confiscated, the unions dissolved and the leaders arrested. Large numbers were sent to concentration camps. Within a few days 169 different trade unions were under Nazi control. (20)

    Hitler gave Robert Ley the task of forming the German Labour Front (DAF). Ley, in his first proclamation, stated: "Workers! Your institutions are sacred to us National Socialists. I myself am a poor peasant's son and understand poverty... I know the exploitation of anonymous capitalism. Workers! I swear to you, we will not only keep everything that exists, we will build up the protection and the rights of the workers still further." (21)

    Three weeks later Hitler decreed a law bringing an end to collective bargaining and providing that henceforth "labour trustees", appointed by him, would "regulate labour contracts" and maintain "labour peace". Since the decisions of the trustees were to be legally binding, the law, in effect, outlawed strikes. Ley promised "to restore absolute leadership to the natural leader of a factory - that is, the employer... Only the employer can decide." (22)

    The German Labour Front was the only union organization allowed in the Third Reich and had over 20 million members. Ley appointed twelve state officials whose job it was to regulate wages, conditions of work and labour contracts in each of their respective districts, and to maintain peace between workers and employers. (23) The DAF was "rendered totally docile and workers no longer had any voice in management". (24)

    Trade Unions in Nazi Germany
    OH damn that history n' stuff!!!

  5. #105
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    6,221
    Thanks
    1620

    From
    CA
    There is no need for unions anymore. I saw what unions were when the union passed out political pamphlets, held a big meeting and told people which democrat they had to vote for.

  6. #106
    Veteran Member Moorhuhn Wanted Champion Hollywood's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    65,063
    Thanks
    30471

    From
    Memphis, Tn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronwyn View Post
    There is no need for unions anymore. I saw what unions were when the union passed out political pamphlets, held a big meeting and told people which democrat they had to vote for.
    Ever hear of the secret ballot? Every union member went to the polls and voted as he damn well pleased. *shrug*

  7. #107
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    14,074
    Thanks
    3770

    From
    AK
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingbeast View Post
    And thank God that most unions left today cover public sector jobs,
    There is no excuse, justification or need for the existence of public sector unions at all.

    because those jobs are MISmanaged by middle management that is about as clueless upper management and political as hell.
    Baseless sweeping generalization.

  8. #108
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    14,074
    Thanks
    3770

    From
    AK

    Curtains for union coercion (Employee Rights Act)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Ever hear of the secret ballot? Every union member went to the polls and voted as he damn well pleased. *shrug*
    There need not and should not be any voting iver unionism. Becoming a member of something like a union should be a voluntary individual decision. Not becoming a member should likewise be a voluntary individual decision.

    And employers even entering into negotiations with a union in the first place should be a voluntary, individual employer decision.
    Last edited by Neomalthusian; 12th August 2017 at 08:05 PM.

  9. #109
    Conservatively Liberal NiteGuy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    16,922
    Thanks
    12344

    From
    Teardrop City
    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    It has to do with your tangent about unions doing good things for up-and-coming workers because companies abandoned them. That was your diversion from the thread topic. I contend that unions do not do good things for newer workers because they are obsessed with seniority privilege. This explains part of why they are not good at attracting younger workers to their membership.
    You'd better go back and re-read my comment, then, @Neomalthusian. I said nothing at all about unions being good for only young employees. Oh, wait! I have the quote right here! Now, point out where I said that unions were especially good for young workers. I'll wait...

    Quote Originally Posted by NiteGuy
    That unions are actually good for employees, contrary to people like neo is something that, if you don't get already is something that no one will be able to explain to you and your feeble little mind.
    And you'll note I was addressing another poster altogether. Don't call me out, and then act like my comments were directed at you. Especially when you don't know what you're talking about

  10. #110
    Conservatively Liberal NiteGuy's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    16,922
    Thanks
    12344

    From
    Teardrop City
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronwyn View Post
    There is no need for unions anymore. I saw what unions were when the union passed out political pamphlets, held a big meeting and told people which democrat they had to vote for.
    Bullshit.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 6th November 2015, 06:16 AM
  2. WI Supreme court upholds 2011 union rights law
    By bajisima in forum Current Events
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 31st July 2014, 09:40 AM
  3. Judge strikes down Wis. law limiting union rights
    By steezer in forum Current Events
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 22nd September 2012, 11:27 AM
  4. Poll: Americans favor union bargaining rights
    By TennesseeRain in forum Current Events
    Replies: 211
    Last Post: 6th March 2011, 01:40 AM
  5. Americans favor union bargaining rights according to poll
    By Tedminator in forum Opinion Polls
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 28th February 2011, 09:28 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed