Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 112
Thanks Tree71Thanks

Thread: Curtains for union coercion (Employee Rights Act)

  1. #61
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    28,547
    Thanks
    22769

    From
    On a hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Why couldn't regular firms exist which accomplish what you say unions must do?
    What is a regular firm vs a union?

    If your thinking of something like a temp a agency, they generally charge twice what the employee is paid, in my experience. Unions are more cost effective to all concerned.
    Last edited by labrea; 11th July 2017 at 11:14 AM.

  2. #62
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    13,717
    Thanks
    3671

    From
    AK
    Quote Originally Posted by labrea View Post
    What is a regular firm vs a union?

    If your thinking of something like a temp a agency, they generally charge twice what the employee is paid, in my experience. Unions are more cost effective to all concerned.
    Are you serious? Are you honestly saying you don't know the difference between the company and a union?

    The previous reference to construction and unions being necessary makes the assumption that unions are necessary because they exist. But this begs the question, specifically what is it that unions are able to do that, if no unions were to exist, both regular companies and government would be unable to do?

  3. #63
    Grumpy Metal Slug Champion Blah's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    22,913
    Thanks
    761

    From
    USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    W/O the political power or the Unions, organized, politically active, aggressive and informed workers OSHA and many other agencies/programs that benefit working people would be gutted in a heartbeat.
    That's total bull. It's the Democrats/Liberals in Washington D.C. that keep pumping up OSHA,
    the EPA, etc. etc. You could point out that Unions use their extorted riches to promote only
    Democrat politicians, but considering their members are a normally diverse group that would
    just be advocating political corruption.

  4. #64
    Grumpy Metal Slug Champion Blah's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    22,913
    Thanks
    761

    From
    USA
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingbeast View Post
    Fair and benevolent government! wahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaha ahaahah
    The Democrats desperately try to be... or at least look... benevolent. The problem is they keep fucking
    everything up -- example: Obamacare.

  5. #65
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    28,547
    Thanks
    22769

    From
    On a hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Blah View Post
    The Democrats desperately try to be... or at least look... benevolent. The problem is they keep fucking
    everything up -- example: Obamacare.
    Compared to republicans we are compassionate. Example: trumpcare.

  6. #66
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    28,547
    Thanks
    22769

    From
    On a hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Are you serious? Are you honestly saying you don't know the difference between the company and a union?

    The previous reference to construction and unions being necessary makes the assumption that unions are necessary because they exist. But this begs the question, specifically what is it that unions are able to do that, if no unions were to exist, both regular companies and government would be unable to do?
    The question isn't what business and government would be unable to do, but what they would be motivated to do.

    I am still puzzled by your use of "regular company", the designation is unfamiliar to me. It seems to be unfamiliar to google too.
    Thanks from Panzareta

  7. #67
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    43,698
    Thanks
    12409

    Quote Originally Posted by Blah View Post
    The Democrats desperately try to be... or at least look... benevolent. The problem is they keep fucking
    everything up -- example: Obamacare.
    History will never say a drastic drop in the number of uninsured was a fuck up. Only ignorant republicans will call it that.

  8. #68
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    13,717
    Thanks
    3671

    From
    AK

    Curtains for union coercion (Employee Rights Act)

    Quote Originally Posted by labrea View Post
    The question isn't what business and government would be unable to do, but what they would be motivated to do.
    You are resorting to the idea that government has no ability to regulate things and therefore we must let cartels do whatever they want. If government can't regulate there's no point discussing anything, because we supposedly have no government that has any ability to enforce anything anyway. All is lost.

    I am still puzzled by your use of "regular company", the designation is unfamiliar to me. It seems to be unfamiliar to google too.
    Any firm that is not a labor union. Do you really need me to explain the difference a professional firm and a labor union? The issue is one person thought unions were necessary in construction. I ask what a construction union can do that a construction firm couldn't possibly.

  9. #69
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    13,717
    Thanks
    3671

    From
    AK
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    W/O the political power or the Unions, organized, politically active, aggressive and informed workers OSHA and many other agencies/programs that benefit working people would be gutted in a heartbeat.
    This is standard slippery slope fallacy that comes out every time it's acknowledged that most actual worker protections are in place because of laws and regulations, not unions.

    Unions are not needed to keep labor regulations from being "gutted" any more than the Black Panthers are needed to prevent the Civil Rights Act from being repealed, or the National American Woman Suffrage Association from preventing the 19th amendment from being repealed. Unions are not required to protect federal and state workplace regulations any more than the cartel of auto dealerships that have a monopoly on car sales are needed to keep government from "gutting" all auto safety and emissions standards. Basic slippery slope fallacy.

  10. #70
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    13,717
    Thanks
    3671

    From
    AK
    Quote Originally Posted by Blah View Post
    That's total bull. It's the Democrats/Liberals in Washington D.C. that keep pumping up OSHA, the EPA, etc. etc.
    Unions love it when conservatives save all their attacks for regulatory agencies, because it keeps the scrutiny off of them. We shouldn't be so quick to vilify all regulation, some regulation keeps things running smoothly, and between government standardization and regulation of some basics, vs. letting labor cartels divide and conquer all the nation's employers (including state and municipal government itself), we should be relatively pro-regulation, so as to deprive unions of every last semblance of an ostensibly important purpose.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 6th November 2015, 06:16 AM
  2. WI Supreme court upholds 2011 union rights law
    By bajisima in forum Current Events
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 31st July 2014, 09:40 AM
  3. Judge strikes down Wis. law limiting union rights
    By steezer in forum Current Events
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 22nd September 2012, 11:27 AM
  4. Poll: Americans favor union bargaining rights
    By TennesseeRain in forum Current Events
    Replies: 211
    Last Post: 6th March 2011, 01:40 AM
  5. Americans favor union bargaining rights according to poll
    By Tedminator in forum Opinion Polls
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 28th February 2011, 09:28 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed