Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
Thanks Tree6Thanks

Thread: New York Times Future Pulitzer Prize Winner?

  1. #1
    Chaos in fourteen lines Minotaur's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    16,112
    Thanks
    12875

    From
    USA

    New York Times Future Pulitzer Prize Winner?

    Hard to say how this will go but the smell of Watergate and Nixon is all over this on the surface. The Trump supporter denials are just what happens in early stages. What will determine the value of this and future public sentiment is further investigation. There is no way to guess anything beyond what little we do know is unnerving and it leaves an awareness that they are close to tipping the scale. The New York Times has shown that old fashioned dig in the mud investigative journalism is alive and well. Today it may not be sufficiently appreciated because the whole story is not out. Tomorrow, well, we'll see but Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein comes to mind.

    If time shows little more than what we know, it does not diminish the work of the NYT reporters. If more comes from this then they will be celebrated for not being fluff news and for honoring an old tradition when reporters did the hard work just when you thought investigative journalism was dead.
    Thanks from OldGaffer

  2. #2
    Veteran Member cpicturetaker12's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    18,414
    Thanks
    14009

    From
    Florida
    This is sooo much worse. Watergate was wholly domestic. (Even the Cubans involved in the burglary and laundering campaign money were Americans)
    Thanks from Minotaur

  3. #3
    New Member fenrir's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    742
    Thanks
    113

    From
    Yoknapatawpha County
    Quote Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
    Hard to say how this will go but the smell of Watergate and Nixon is all over this on the surface. The Trump supporter denials are just what happens in early stages. What will determine the value of this and future public sentiment is further investigation. There is no way to guess anything beyond what little we do know is unnerving and it leaves an awareness that they are close to tipping the scale. The New York Times has shown that old fashioned dig in the mud investigative journalism is alive and well. Today it may not be sufficiently appreciated because the whole story is not out. Tomorrow, well, we'll see but Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein comes to mind.

    If time shows little more than what we know, it does not diminish the work of the NYT reporters. If more comes from this then they will be celebrated for not being fluff news and for honoring an old tradition when reporters did the hard work just when you thought investigative journalism was dead.
    It's the New York Times. If they want a Pulitzer Prize it's gonna' hafta' be in fiction.

    NY Times Public Editor Under Fire For Criticizing The Paper’s Liberal Bias
    Thanks from Zephyr

  4. #4
    Chaos in fourteen lines Minotaur's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    16,112
    Thanks
    12875

    From
    USA
    Quote Originally Posted by fenrir View Post
    It's the New York Times. If they want a Pulitzer Prize it's gonna' hafta' be in fiction.

    NY Times Public Editor Under Fire For Criticizing The Paperís Liberal Bias
    Except this isn't fiction and this isn't bias. It is pure reporting with documented evidence the inner circle is not denying. And in fact Trump Jr. released the emails because the NYT notified them that the emails were going to be released by the NYT. Trump had one day to release them himself before the story was published. Whether any news entity leans left or right is meaningless when their writer breaks an ongoing fact based article. Your argument only works where news entities make it up with unsubstantiated opinion pieces which conservative and liberal op-ed shows do. Opinions are a dime a dozen so don't mix that up with real and substantiated fact based news.
    Thanks from MaryAnne

  5. #5
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    49,507
    Thanks
    9204

    From
    By the wall
    The NYT has issued apologies for at least two fake news stories already, they have fired journalists, their reputation is stained, and you think they deserve a prize?

    Only in liberal La La land.

  6. #6
    Chaos in fourteen lines Minotaur's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    16,112
    Thanks
    12875

    From
    USA
    Quote Originally Posted by cpicturetaker12 View Post
    This is sooo much worse. Watergate was wholly domestic. (Even the Cubans involved in the burglary and laundering campaign money were Americans)
    We'll see how deep this goes and where the investigation ends up between the NYT and Mueller's findings. For me it isn't worse than Nixon, it is just another version of a form of corruption. Somehow this all looks so familiar including the segmented public denial.

  7. #7
    Chaos in fourteen lines Minotaur's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    16,112
    Thanks
    12875

    From
    USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    The NYT has issued apologies for at least two fake news stories already, they have fired journalists, their reputation is stained, and you think they deserve a prize?

    Only in liberal La La land.
    All news entities offer apologies when a story has flaws. That is unrelated to this investigative reporting backed up by Trump Jr. in the release of the emails to get in front of the story.

  8. #8
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    49,507
    Thanks
    9204

    From
    By the wall
    Quote Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
    All news entities offer apologies when a story has flaws. That is unrelated to this investigative reporting backed up by Trump Jr. in the release of the emails to get in front of the story.
    Its a non-story if nobody gets in trouble.
    Thanks from Minotaur

  9. #9
    Junior Member Zephyr's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,481
    Thanks
    554

    From
    United States
    The energy wasted on this Russia charade does keep the Democrats busy and helps them overcome the grief of having such a bad candidate lose to Mr Trump. That is the only upside and there should be a prize given for that effort.

  10. #10
    New Member fenrir's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    742
    Thanks
    113

    From
    Yoknapatawpha County
    Quote Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
    Except this isn't fiction and this isn't bias. It is pure reporting with documented evidence the inner circle is not denying. And in fact Trump Jr. released the emails because the NYT notified them that the emails were going to be released by the NYT. Trump had one day to release them himself before the story was published. Whether any news entity leans left or right is meaningless when their writer breaks an ongoing fact based article. Your argument only works where news entities make it up with unsubstantiated opinion pieces which conservative and liberal op-ed shows do. Opinions are a dime a dozen so don't mix that up with real and substantiated fact based news.
    Well, since they have already admitted a liberal bias that kinda' makes your point...moot.

    NY Times Public Editor Under Fire For Criticizing The Paper’s Liberal Bias

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Congrats Peggy Noonan - Pulitzer Prize Winner
    By excalibur in forum Current Events
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12th April 2017, 08:30 PM
  2. Snowden and the Pulitzer Prize
    By bajisima in forum Current Events
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 16th April 2014, 12:10 PM
  3. Replies: 40
    Last Post: 27th November 2012, 03:15 PM
  4. Nobel Prize Winner?
    By Migi e! in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11th October 2007, 06:37 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed