Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 64
Thanks Tree36Thanks

Thread: Claim : Alex jones sells "snake oil"

  1. #51
    Chubby Member
    Joined
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,271
    Thanks
    1751

    Quote Originally Posted by bmanmcfly View Post
    So, I just wanted to see if you would go full nazi and push for him to put a star on his chest, you should know what that implies.
    That you're a moron?
    Thanks from TennesseeRain

  2. #52
    NWO Toilet Cleaner Blues63's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    4,530
    Thanks
    2929

    From
    An NWO Lunch Room
    Quote Originally Posted by bmanmcfly View Post
    There we go, we have an argument... Let's take an applause break.

    *cheer to blues*
    Your poor comprehension is your problem, not mine. There is no need to be an ass, Magoo just because you lack basic logic and comprehension skills.

    I would argue that there apparently a need for it, if it's something of an alternative to viagra... I mean, you can risk the side effects by contributing to that 1-2 billion dollar a year drug, but it is an obvious opinion that it is ineffective.
    Unsupported opinion. State the product you are talking about and try not to conflate the lot and confuse the issue. I've presented a few products that have clams that cross over.

    Also, if there's even a singular study that showed positive results, wouldn't that imply that this counts as evidence against your case?
    Show it. Which products have these studies been performed on?

    I can't speak personally. But again, the third party reviewer shows that the people who buy it must find that it works as advertised, or it wouldn't get as many positive reviews.
    Argumentum ad populum

    Studies are all that matters. Now, before you rave bullshit for the next ten pages, do you care to disprove the claims I posted above? Or will I just get the usual infantile noise that will go on interminably? If so, I'm off to that movie.
    Last edited by Blues63; 11th August 2017 at 03:56 PM.
    Thanks from bmanmcfly

  3. #53
    Senior Member bmanmcfly's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    11,822
    Thanks
    2027

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
    Quote Originally Posted by Blues63 View Post
    P. T. Barnum has already said it.



    Oh, sure, that must be it. The products couldn't be a scam, it's Buzzfeed's fault. And we are supposed to believe that without a scrap of evidence.

    Fucking hell.
    Not saying it couldn't be a scam...

    But I think we found the root of your argument, that supplements are ineffective. Because Jones products have tested as containing what is advertised, or at least reasonably close, no heavy metals or any toxic stuff slipping through the cracks, and you keep going to the lack of studies to certify the efficacy.

    So, Alex Jones "sells snake oil" in the sense that "supplements are snake oil and Jones sells them"... However, supplements of all shapes and sizes are a huge industry. So, if there's people buying, it's not immoral to help meet that demand.

    Two points:
    - many pharmaceuticals are really just made from isolating the active components from naturally occurring sources (think Tylenol heroin, cocaine, steroids)
    - there's the placebo effect, where even if you tell someone they are taking placebo they will still be likely to see results.

  4. #54
    NWO Toilet Cleaner Blues63's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    4,530
    Thanks
    2929

    From
    An NWO Lunch Room
    Quote Originally Posted by bmanmcfly View Post
    Not saying it couldn't be a scam...

    But I think we found the root of your argument, that supplements are ineffective. Because Jones products have tested as containing what is advertised, or at least reasonably close, no heavy metals or any toxic stuff slipping through the cracks, and you keep going to the lack of studies to certify the efficacy.
    Homeopathic remedies are known to be largely ineffective. Did you not know that?

    So, Alex Jones "sells snake oil" in the sense that "supplements are snake oil and Jones sells them"... However, supplements of all shapes and sizes are a huge industry. So, if there's people buying, it's not immoral to help meet that demand.
    No, it's immoral to make false claims. That's a common feature among scammers who sell products. Did you not know that?

    Two points:
    - many pharmaceuticals are really just made from isolating the active components from naturally occurring sources (think Tylenol heroin, cocaine, steroids)
    - there's the placebo effect, where even if you tell someone they are taking placebo they will still be likely to see results.
    No shit. Now, how are Jones's snake oil products effective? Remember, Colloidal Silver is DANGEROUS. Come on, let's not do your usual dance, for I'd rather watch a Giallo.
    Last edited by Blues63; 11th August 2017 at 04:05 PM.

  5. #55
    Chubby Member
    Joined
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,271
    Thanks
    1751

    Quote Originally Posted by bmanmcfly View Post
    So, if there's people buying, it's not immoral to help meet that demand.
    There you see? That's the fucking problem with this country. This is why shit is going to hell. People have no fucking idea what morality is.


    Two points:
    - many pharmaceuticals are really just made from isolating the active components from naturally occurring sources (think Tylenol heroin, cocaine, steroids)
    - there's the placebo effect, where even if you tell someone they are taking placebo they will still be likely to see results.
    [/quote]

    The placebo effect has a limited potential impact, and it doesn't last.

    And nobody disputes that actual functioning drugs are sometimes chemicals derived from various plants. That is not relevant. You can make a cure for cancer out of grass clippings if you want to. I don't care what it's made out of. Just SHOW ME A STUDY WHERE YOU PROVE IT ACTUALLY DOES SOMETHING. The fact is the things he sells are useless, cheap crap that he implies will do something wonderful for you. And his listeners, obviously, are ignorant morons. So he takes their money.

    If you meet a stupid person on the street and offer to sell them a moon rock, and you hand them a pebble from the street, and they hand you $100 from their wallet, is that moral?

    For fucksake, man. Goddamn nauseating.
    Thanks from Blues63 and OldGaffer

  6. #56
    Senior Member bmanmcfly's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    11,822
    Thanks
    2027

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
    Quote Originally Posted by Blues63 View Post
    Your poor comprehension is your problem, not mine. There is no need to be an ass, Magoo just because you lack basic logic and comprehension skills.
    I'm not saying it to be an ass, you only ever IMPLIED your argument, and as much as I appreciate that you feel I am near infallible to be able to derive your actual argument, it was to wide a range of potential arguments that I would have to be wrong somewhere.

    Unsupported opinion. State the product you are talking about and try not to conflate the lot and confuse the issue. I've presented a few products that have clams that cross over.
    Show it. Which products have these studies been performed on?


    Viagra May Witness a Decline in Revenues in 2016 - Market Realist
    See, via gra does sell more than a billion dollars a year, to not quite 2 billion.

    Btw, I was only referring to what I was quoting, the male vitality one, the description talks about libido studies or whatever... I wasn't challenging it.



    Argumentum ad populum

    Studies are all that matters. Now, before you rave bullshit for the next ten pages, do you care to disprove the claims I posted above? Or will I just get the usual infantile noise that will go on interminably? If so, I'm off to that movie.
    You are correct that it is an appeal fallacy, closest thing to a gauge if people generally approve or disapprove of the products. People don't tend to review stuff unless it's unusually positive or negative, much less when it's essentially neutral.

    In terms of studies, well, that would be the next step to sanction a peer-reviewed double blind studies on the supplements, but each one is several years and 100-250 grand per product. However, in terms of studies, you'd have to look at each ingredient and see what studies exist for each individually, but just like you should not mix pain pills and alcohol, it would also require study to see how the ingredients interact with each other.

    So, by that standard, I doubt I could meet the demand. However, that's still not "selling snake oil", it is selling supplements, and the biggest issue in supplement sales is :
    Herbal Supplements Are Often Not What They Seem - The New York Times

    And, while on some points it didn't quite match the label, but arguably that's a lot closer than you would get relative to something you'll find at a grocery store nearby (centrum for example is notorious, because the label is "per bottle" not "per pill"). So, if the complaint is that you don't believe the products to work, that's your call, but then you also wouldn't be going to pick them up at the pharmacy either.

    Whereas, because the products are what they say they are, then a person who thinks those products might work is not being ripped off in any sense... Hardly snake oil salesman.

  7. #57
    Senior Member bmanmcfly's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    11,822
    Thanks
    2027

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
    Quote Originally Posted by Blues63 View Post
    Homeopathic remedies are known to be largely ineffective. Did you not know that?



    No, it's immoral to make false claims. That's a common feature among scammers who sell products. Did you not know that?



    No shit. Now, how are Jones's snake oil products effective? Remember, Colloidal Silver is DANGEROUS. Come on, let's not do your usual dance, for I'd rather watch a Giallo.
    They aren't homeopathic remedies (that's where you dilute the medicine to be virtually non existent...

    He's not making false claims, the FDA rules that with an iron fist...
    The Science of Cherries: The FDA Calls Cherries a Drug

    Colloidal silver is dangerous in the sense of an overdose... I've not seen anything compelling enough to buy it for myself, but I've heard people swear by it.

    Quote Originally Posted by splansing View Post
    There you see? That's the fucking problem with this country. This is why shit is going to hell. People have no fucking idea what morality is.
    Why aren't you protesting your local pharmacy then? They push most of the same stuff, and often not in the doses labelled, so,either not even the product labelled.

    The placebo effect has a limited potential impact, and it doesn't last.

    And nobody disputes that actual functioning drugs are sometimes chemicals derived from various plants. That is not relevant. You can make a cure for cancer out of grass clippings if you want to. I don't care what it's made out of. Just SHOW ME A STUDY WHERE YOU PROVE IT ACTUALLY DOES SOMETHING. The fact is the things he sells are useless, cheap crap that he implies will do something wonderful for you. And his listeners, obviously, are ignorant morons. So he takes their money.
    No it's exactly relevant, he's selling what he says he's selling. Herbs were the drugs before pharmaceuticals... It's not like that knowledge is lost. It's not as effective as pharmaceutical versions, but herbs and vitamins don't typically have the side effects either (or as much)...

    If you meet a stupid person on the street and offer to sell them a moon rock, and you hand them a pebble from the street, and they hand you $100 from their wallet, is that moral?



    For fucksake, man. Goddamn nauseating.
    That's the difference between sales and fraud.

  8. #58
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    82,942
    Thanks
    57343

    From
    out of nowhere!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmanmcfly View Post
    Well, it IS a forum for debate...
    You wouldn't know it from the way you use it. For you, it's a forum for dishonesty because apparently you lack the ability to back up your statements with truth or facts.

    Quote Originally Posted by bmanmcfly View Post
    And noticed you argued that "somebody like Jones shouldn't be selling anything"... implying that you want to shut down his business.
    Lie. Saying someone shouldn't do something is not the same as saying you want their opportunity to do it shut down. I don't think people should cheer for the New England Patriots. That doesn't mean I want the team kicked out of the NFL or their fans flown to GITMO.

    Nobody should listen to him, implying that you he should not be allowed his voice...
    Lie. Saying no one should listen to someone is not saying he should not be allowed to speak. I don't think anyone should listen to a loon like Pat Robertson. That being said, Pat Robertson should have the right to broadcast his bigoted hate and anyone who wants to fill their noggin up with it should be allowed to listen to him.

    I'd like to say you can do better, but as of yet I've seen nothing to prove that's a possibility.
    Thanks from OldGaffer and splansing

  9. #59
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    30,553
    Thanks
    28552

    From
    United States

    Claim : Alex jones sells "snake oil"

    He doesn't, does he?

    I mean, he doesn't literally sell oil of snake, does he?
    Thanks from splansing

  10. #60
    Senior Member bmanmcfly's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    11,822
    Thanks
    2027

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    He doesn't, does he?

    I mean, he doesn't literally sell oil of snake, does he?
    Umm.., I would find that hilarious in the sense that I've taken the position of defending it, but I'm reasonably certain that no...

    What would snake oil actually be? Like the fat left over after cooking a snake?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 71
    Last Post: 14th October 2016, 11:29 AM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 22nd May 2013, 03:42 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 17th April 2013, 07:03 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 16th April 2013, 05:14 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed