Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 102
Thanks Tree95Thanks

Thread: When will the Left accept that Socialism was an illusion?

  1. #61
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,373
    Thanks
    254

    From
    Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    You could have just said, "I want a purely capitalist society," and it would have sufficed, and I would have recognised that you are an ideological extremist not worth attempting intelligent discussion.
    In the meantime, when WILL the Left accept that Socialism was an illusion? In your case, you say you want something in between, but why would you want half an illusion?

  2. #62
    Veteran Member Panzareta's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    28,974
    Thanks
    17329

    From
    On a happy trail
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Larrikin View Post
    In the meantime, when WILL the Left accept that Socialism was an illusion? In your case, you say you want something in between, but why would you want half an illusion?
    "The left" sees your premise for the hot aire that it is. But carry on.

  3. #63
    NWO Toilet Cleaner Blues63's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,155
    Thanks
    3357

    From
    An NWO Lunch Room
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Larrikin View Post
    It’s ‘Left’, and exposing them isn’t libel. Here’s the definition of libel:

    “…a published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation; a written defamation.”
    So? You reinforce my point? Your over simplistic generalisations and misrepresentations are nothing but libel. Btw, I love how your little definition left out 'entity'.

    The Left in Australia have been banning dams since the 70’s and before. They were very proud of this, and anyone can Google it to see for themselves. Here’s a horrible old ABC vid, showing a map of Australia with ‘Ban the Dams’ stickers all over it, and explaining how Bob Hawke, Australia’s next Labor Prime Minister would do his best to ban them, starting with the Tasmanian dam.
    Why did Newman defund the water grid? He wasn't on the left.

    Since then Labor has done its very best to stop any dams being built, which is why water is so expensive in Oz.
    Yes, yes, I've read your propaganda. Why did the Newman defund the water grid? Are questions too difficult for you? You don't seem to answer them for some reason. Why is that?
    Last edited by Blues63; 8th September 2017 at 06:29 PM.
    Thanks from BitterPill

  4. #64
    Vexatious Correspondent Leo2's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,225
    Thanks
    2753

    From
    UK/Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Larrikin View Post
    So you’re almost convinced by my concealment of my contempt for poor people. Interesting. When I need a scrambled up sentence that doesn’t make any sense, I’ll come to you.



    You have it ass over tit lad, since I’m the one enduring Americentric hillbillies. Like you they’re obsessed with why anyone from Australia would be talking with Americans. Just an hour or so ago I was watching Tucker Carlson being interviewed by one of our Australian commentators here on Sky News. At one point Tucker said something like, “I can’t believe you would understand that issue, being so far away.” That’s Americentrism. Tucker doesn’t know we watch the same American news that most Americans watch. Fox, CNN, all the same cable news networks.

    Jed: See, over here we got this thang called the constitooshun, and it guarantees us certain inal…, certain inal…”
    Larrikin: Unalienable Rights?
    Jed: Say, are you an alien or not?
    Larrikin: Sure – can’t you see my antennae?
    Jed: Danged fureners. Can’t trust them, no how.



    When in Rome old son, when in Rome.



    You obviously missed the ‘like’. Here it is again:

    “We (America, England, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Europe and etcetera) used to be much closer to a purely capitalist state in the past, and those days provided us with great things, like the American Constitution.”

    Had I been saying the same thing on an English board, I might have said, “… provided us with great things, like the Industrial Revolution.”

    Some people aren’t much good in terms of communication, marketing, etc. Never mind, just follow my lead.



    As I’ve said in the past, Aussies copy America, so if one wishes to stop socialism in Australia, one must start at the source. Trying to change Australian minds is like barking at a caboose.

    .
    You have made several points well, and whilst I may not agree with all your views, I thank you for making those points.

    I was merely bemused by your Americano-centrism. As I said, I am a great admirer of our American friends, however I make no effort to adopt their spelling, or their cultural attitudes. But I must point out that is no criticism - it is your personal choice which it would be uncivil of me to condemn. In fact I have a couple of Aussie-born friends who are more English than most of the English I know - I find that odd but nonetheless charming in a certain way.

    And lol, I had to Google 'caboose' - my oldies would call it a 'guards van'.

    But apropos your closing paragraph, I do not have, as one of my life's aims, the project of stopping socialism in Australia. Australia is already a society unsympathetic to the disadvantaged, and many less than fortunate American attitudes - e.g: the poor being poor because they are lazy and unmotivated, or because they are encouraged to be so because of overly generous social justice programmes - are already permeating Australian society. It is only so-called 'socialism' which is hindering the return of young children being employed in hazardous occupations (as in the third world), and the alms houses being the only refuge of the indigent.

    I am unlikely to spend the rest of my life in the antipodes, but I would not want to see that happen to any society - particularly one I have come to know and like.
    Thanks from BitterPill and Blues63

  5. #65
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,373
    Thanks
    254

    From
    Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo2 View Post
    I was merely bemused by your Americano-centrism.
    Once again you’re misusing the word Americentrism. When posters misuse a word or term, and I explain it once, and then they continue misusing it, I am forced to bring out the dictionary. Many good dictionaries don’t even have a definition for Americentrism or Americano-centrism, because it comes from an earlier word. In about 1900 the word ethnocentrism came about, and means the following, from the Collins English Dictionary:

    ethnocentrism

    noun

    “belief in the intrinsic superiority of the nation, culture, or group to which one belongs, often accompanied by feelings of dislike for other groups”

    Or, from the American Heritage Dictionary:

    “The belief that one's own culture is superior to all others and is the standard by which all other cultures should be measured.”

    In about 1985 an African took that word and used it to make ‘Afrocentric’, which means the same thing, only from an African POV.

    Obviously this would apply to Americentrism. Here is a page that talks about both ethnocentrism and the relatively new ‘Americentrism’:

    “Americentrism is a term referring to the ethnocentric and xenophobic practice of viewing the world from an explicitly American perspective, with an implied belief, either consciously or subconsciously, in the preeminence of American (and, more generally, of Western) culture.”

    Once again, I’m a Canadian/Australian living in Oz since 5, so I cannot be either an American xenophobe or Americentric. By all means though, if you wish to change the definition of these words, speak to the lexicographers. Perhaps you can get them to add the clause, “…unless you are Rob Larrikin, in which case the definition changes.”

    As I said, I am a great admirer of our American friends
    Which ones? These?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q566ys0sqVQ

    however I make no effort to adopt their spelling
    When in Rome old son, when in Rome.

    or their cultural attitudes.
    American cultural attitudes are being copied by the whole world, including Britain.

    https://www.google.com/search?q=Brit...k1.EHyJeP4NaX4

    Sure I found it annoying when Australian kids started saying ‘gimmee five’, or walking and dancing like U.S. black rap artists, and wearing the pants too low, to show their undies, etc., etc., but what can you do? It’s TV, film, magazines and the internet. You better get used to it. Change ‘tally ho’ to ‘wassup ho?’ and soldier on, what?

    Australia is already a society unsympathetic to the disadvantaged, and many less than fortunate American attitudes - e.g: the poor being poor because they are lazy and unmotivated
    When half the country is on welfare it’s obvious half the country are lazy and unmotivated. You may think it’s natural for half a country to not be lounging around on the dole, but it is not natural at all. The natural situation (when socialism is not present) is for most of the population to be busily working.

    It is only so-called 'socialism' which is hindering the return of young children being employed in hazardous occupations (as in the third world), and the alms houses being the only refuge of the indigent.
    Look at a map of all the third world countries and notice they’re all plagued with socialism. Explain that, Sherlock.

    I am unlikely to spend the rest of my life in the antipodes
    The antipode of any spot on Earth is the point on Earth's surface diametrically opposite to it, so if you think England and Australia are on opposite sides of the world (which they aren’t), then from your POV, England is the antipodes.

    .

  6. #66
    NWO Toilet Cleaner Blues63's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    5,155
    Thanks
    3357

    From
    An NWO Lunch Room
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Larrikin View Post
    The antipode of any spot on Earth is the point on Earth's surface diametrically opposite to it, so if you think England and Australia are on opposite sides of the world (which they aren’t), then from your POV, England is the antipodes.
    Australia and New Zealand have been referred to as the 'Antipodes' since the 19th century.
    Thanks from BitterPill

  7. #67
    The Covfefe are Coming! BitterPill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    6,815
    Thanks
    4504

    From
    SoCal
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Larrikin View Post
    In the meantime, when WILL the Left accept that Socialism was an illusion? In your case, you say you want something in between, but why would you want half an illusion?
    Perhaps you should try and define illusion. For example, I might consider your interpretation to be (using Oxford), "An instance of a wrong or misinterpreted perception of a sensory experience," a mirage being a close synonym, and I'll point out that your use of 'was' is interesting since it infers socialism was a mirage but no longer is.

    Then again (using a subsequent Oxford definition), you may consider that socialism is an illusion in the, "A deceptive appearance or impression," meaning of the word, yet your use of 'was' is again a problem since it infers socialism is no longer deceptive in appearance or impression for whatever reason.

    Finally, you could be using illusion in the, "A false idea or belief," meaning of the word, and I suspect that is closest your intent, but again your use of 'was' means the 'false idea or belief' is no longer present, either from being made into a genuine idea or belief, or, once again, ceasing to exist.

    If socialism was an illusion, what is it now?
    Last edited by BitterPill; 8th September 2017 at 06:59 PM.

  8. #68
    The Covfefe are Coming! BitterPill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    6,815
    Thanks
    4504

    From
    SoCal
    Quote Originally Posted by Blues63 View Post
    Australia and New Zealand have been referred to as the 'Antipodes' since the 19th century.
    https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/antipodes

  9. #69
    The Covfefe are Coming! BitterPill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    6,815
    Thanks
    4504

    From
    SoCal
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Larrikin View Post
    Once again you’re misusing the word Americentrism. When posters misuse a word or term, and I explain it once, and then they continue misusing it, I am forced to bring out the dictionary. Many good dictionaries don’t even have a definition for Americentrism or Americano-centrism, because it comes from an earlier word. In about 1900 the word ethnocentrism came about, and means the following, from the Collins English Dictionary:

    ethnocentrism

    noun

    “belief in the intrinsic superiority of the nation, culture, or group to which one belongs, often accompanied by feelings of dislike for other groups”

    Or, from the American Heritage Dictionary:

    “The belief that one's own culture is superior to all others and is the standard by which all other cultures should be measured.”

    In about 1985 an African took that word and used it to make ‘Afrocentric’, which means the same thing, only from an African POV.

    Obviously this would apply to Americentrism. Here is a page that talks about both ethnocentrism and the relatively new ‘Americentrism’:

    “Americentrism is a term referring to the ethnocentric and xenophobic practice of viewing the world from an explicitly American perspective, with an implied belief, either consciously or subconsciously, in the preeminence of American (and, more generally, of Western) culture.”

    Once again, I’m a Canadian/Australian living in Oz since 5, so I cannot be either an American xenophobe or Americentric. By all means though, if you wish to change the definition of these words, speak to the lexicographers. Perhaps you can get them to add the clause, “…unless you are Rob Larrikin, in which case the definition changes.”

    Which ones? These?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q566ys0sqVQ

    When in Rome old son, when in Rome.

    American cultural attitudes are being copied by the whole world, including Britain.

    https://www.google.com/search?q=Brit...k1.EHyJeP4NaX4
    I'll let you guys sort that out; however, I did want to point this out:

    show their undies....
    The correct word is boxers. That or knickers.

  10. #70
    The Un-Holy One The Man's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    32,896
    Thanks
    18717

    From
    Toronto
    CCCP was "socialist" in name only, if that.
    Thanks from BitterPill and labrea

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What the left refuse to accept
    By Conservatarian in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 191
    Last Post: 14th November 2016, 01:07 PM
  2. Socialism and the Left..they never learn
    By mrmike in forum Current Events
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 5th February 2016, 09:24 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 6th January 2014, 02:49 AM
  4. Rush Limbaugh turns hard left, embraces NFL socialism
    By Blueneck in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 13th October 2009, 10:35 AM
  5. Left Vs. Right: The Illusion Of Opposites
    By Defensor in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 28th January 2008, 01:02 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed