Members banned from this thread: Bronwyn


Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 187
Thanks Tree219Thanks

Thread: The art of debate...

  1. #1
    Veteran Member bmanmcfly's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    13,868
    Thanks
    2297

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh

    The art of debate...

    When did we give up on logic and reason as the foundation of debate?

    Going from presenting blogs as undeniable fact and attacking when a contrary opinion is presented.

    The haste with which the majority of debate devolves into ad hominem or other fallacious debate techniques...

    Have we forgotten that in debate the first person who resorts to attacking the person has essentially given up and is accepting defeat?

  2. #2
    Veteran Member Eve1's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    14,201
    Thanks
    9379

    From
    My own world
    Most of the posters on PH have just given up on you specifically. You don't believe investigations done by professional investigators no matter if they are from the AG's office or the FBI so what's the point providing you with anythig?

    See from thread below P#115 P#116

    More Comey perjury. Drafted exoneration of Hillary before interviewing her and others


    There is no point in showing a poster stuff they dismiss as being false and stick to their believes no matter what. Your conspiracy theories and lack of ability to see the truth when it is provided in official reports makes you a waist of our time to engage with you.
    Last edited by Eve1; 7th September 2017 at 10:21 PM.

  3. #3
    Southern Strategy Liberal OldGaffer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    36,868
    Thanks
    38876

    From
    Nashville, TN
    Anyone that will not accept any MSM as legitimate links needs to just STFU about valid debate.

  4. #4
    The Covfefe are Coming! BitterPill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    7,156
    Thanks
    4684

    From
    SoCal
    Quote Originally Posted by bmanmcfly View Post
    When did we give up on logic and reason as the foundation of debate?

    Going from presenting blogs as undeniable fact and attacking when a contrary opinion is presented.

    The haste with which the majority of debate devolves into ad hominem or other fallacious debate techniques...

    Have we forgotten that in debate the first person who resorts to attacking the person has essentially given up and is accepting defeat?
    I am especially partial to Socratic debate, yet it supposes a cooperative debate which is pretty hard to find.

    Perhaps we should give it a whirl sometime.
    Thanks from KnotaFrayed and Tennyson

  5. #5
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    50,534
    Thanks
    23937

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by bmanmcfly View Post
    When did we give up on logic and reason as the foundation of debate?
    Have you forgotten already?

    Thanks from RNG, Rasselas, Friday13 and 5 others

  6. #6
    Veteran Member Dr.Knuckles's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    98,444
    Thanks
    5238

    From
    Vancouver
    Debate is a disagreement over the interpretation or significance of facts.

    It is not possible if one or both participants is inventing fake facts in an effort to score points in the debate.

    "All men are mortal
    Socrates is a man
    Therefore Socrates is mortal"

    This is not possible to discuss with someone who genuinely thinks they win the debate if they just pick the negative side and then loudly insist that not all men are mortal. Or Socrates was a vampire.


    Saying, "hey, it's my job to win. So I said what I had to say"

    You can't debate if one or both parties is dishonest.
    Thanks from bmanmcfly, chaos, Friday13 and 2 others

  7. #7
    Swamper chaos's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    3,320
    Thanks
    1500

    From
    Cyberia
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Knuckles View Post
    Debate is a disagreement over the interpretation or significance of facts.

    It is not possible if one or both participants is inventing fake facts in an effort to score points in the debate.

    "All men are mortal
    Socrates is a man
    Therefore Socrates is mortal"

    This is not possible to discuss with someone who genuinely thinks they win the debate if they just pick the negative side and then loudly insist that not all men are mortal. Or Socrates was a vampire.


    Saying, "hey, it's my job to win. So I said what I had to say"

    You can't debate if one or both parties is dishonest.
    It is impossible to tell the difference between Plato's writing and what little writing that was credited to Socrates. So it is argued that Socrates is Plato's alter ego. No one can prove that Socrates walked the earth but there is more evidence of that than there is of Jesus walking the earth.

    Evidence suggest that Jesus was the alter ego of Paul yet there is no way to argue that fact with an American. Americans know it all, so when they say that Jesus was born of a virgin birth they fail to realize that it make Jesus a bastard child.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey

  8. #8
    Swamper chaos's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    3,320
    Thanks
    1500

    From
    Cyberia
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGaffer View Post
    Anyone that will not accept any MSM as legitimate links needs to just STFU about valid debate.
    The MSM is there to sell war to Americans. Anyone who watches or reads the MSM is being programmed to believe whatever they are told.

  9. #9
    The Covfefe are Coming! BitterPill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    7,156
    Thanks
    4684

    From
    SoCal
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Knuckles View Post
    Debate is a disagreement over the interpretation or significance of facts.

    It is not possible if one or both participants is inventing fake facts in an effort to score points in the debate.

    "All men are mortal
    Socrates is a man
    Therefore Socrates is mortal"

    This is not possible to discuss with someone who genuinely thinks they win the debate if they just pick the negative side and then loudly insist that not all men are mortal. Or Socrates was a vampire.


    Saying, "hey, it's my job to win. So I said what I had to say"

    You can't debate if one or both parties is dishonest.
    Let's use your example to put Socratic debate to work: Let us say for the sake of argument that you claim not all men are mortal, but who are these immortal men? Certainly not Socrates since he died by hemlock. And if Socrates were a vampire, forgiving that such a thing could be true, wouldn't it take a wooden stake to kill him?
    Last edited by BitterPill; 7th September 2017 at 10:38 PM.
    Thanks from KnotaFrayed and MaryAnne

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Dr.Knuckles's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    98,444
    Thanks
    5238

    From
    Vancouver
    Quote Originally Posted by chaos View Post
    The MSM is there to sell war to Americans. Anyone who watches or reads the MSM is being programmed to believe whatever they are told.
    What is the opposite of "mainstream media"?

    Niche media.

    Meaning - media specifically created to appeal to, and satisfy, the desires and prejudices and expectations of only a specific "type" of viewer. There is no other word for that except "propaganda".

    Whatever the sins of media aimed at the broadest possible market, it's still WAY better than media specifically created to please the prejudices of a particular group.

    Not ideal. Maybe not even any good. But WAY better than the other option.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Best Debate So Far?.....the Trump vs. Pence Debate-
    By GordonGecko in forum Political Humor
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20th October 2016, 05:36 AM
  2. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 4th October 2016, 07:21 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 28th September 2016, 08:18 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25th September 2016, 10:01 AM
  5. Replies: 99
    Last Post: 18th December 2015, 04:09 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed