Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
Thanks Tree18Thanks

Thread: Well, THESE are some distubing numbers...

  1. #1
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    33,645
    Thanks
    16771

    From
    Phoenix, AZ

    Well, THESE are some distubing numbers...

    Source: The Annenberg Constitution Day Civics Survey

    So, apparently damned near a third of people surveyed couldn't name even one of the freedoms protected under the First Amendment. Even more disturbing there seem to be some Americans who think that "...life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" - which is not even found in the Constitution - is not only in the Constitution, but is part of the First Fucking Amendment!!!

    I would have loved to have seen the ideological demographics of the respondents. I think it might have been instructive to see how familiar Progressives are with the Constitution, as opposed to Conservatives. Especially when you consider that over half of the respondents don't seem to be aware that even immigrants - yes, even "illegal" ones - do, in fact, have access to many of the same protections from the Constitution as citizens do. It is surprising that so few understand that the Constitution was not written in such a way as to delineate what citizens can, and cannot do, but rather to enumerate how the government will treat people​, whether citizens, or not.

  2. #2
    Galactic Ruler Spookycolt's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2012
    Posts
    55,636
    Thanks
    10152

    From
    By the wall
    Most people have just a passing interest in politics.

    It seems shocking to us because its what we do, most of us here can probably quote the first word for word but most people aren't like us.

    Its scary to think that all these people can actually vote.

    I would be interested to see the breakdown from liberals and conservatives also but I imagine the conservatives would be slightly higher.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    9,507
    Thanks
    2503

    From
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    Source: The Annenberg Constitution Day Civics Survey

    So, apparently damned near a third of people surveyed couldn't name even one of the freedoms protected under the First Amendment. Even more disturbing there seem to be some Americans who think that "...life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" - which is not even found in the Constitution - is not only in the Constitution, but is part of the First Fucking Amendment!!!

    I would have loved to have seen the ideological demographics of the respondents. I think it might have been instructive to see how familiar Progressives are with the Constitution, as opposed to Conservatives. Especially when you consider that over half of the respondents don't seem to be aware that even immigrants - yes, even "illegal" ones - do, in fact, have access to many of the same protections from the Constitution as citizens do. It is surprising that so few understand that the Constitution was not written in such a way as to delineate what citizens can, and cannot do, but rather to enumerate how the government will treat people​, whether citizens, or not.
    Mr. Czernobog,

    Welcome to the liberal theory of education.

  4. #4
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    33,645
    Thanks
    16771

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallie Knoetze View Post
    Mr. Czernobog,

    Welcome to the liberal theory of education.
    Excuse me?
    Thanks from BitterPill

  5. #5
    Anarquistador StanStill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    8,713
    Thanks
    8606

    From
    Home
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    Excuse me?
    You know, charter schools, no child left behind, defunding schools based on poor performance, giving power back to the states to fund education with Every Student Succeeds Act.

    Liberal shit.

  6. #6
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    33,645
    Thanks
    16771

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by StanStill View Post
    You know, charter schools, no child left behind, defunding schools based on poor performance, giving power back to the states to fund education with Every Student Succeeds Act.

    Liberal shit.
    I'm wondering how Knoetze was able to make any ideological determination from the study in the OP. I made a point of indicating that, disappointingly, the study made no attempt to identify the ideological demography of the participants.
    Last edited by Czernobog; 12th September 2017 at 11:32 AM.
    Thanks from NeoVsMatrix

  7. #7
    Anarquistador StanStill's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    8,713
    Thanks
    8606

    From
    Home
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    I'm wonder how Knoetze was able to make any ideological determination from the study in the OP. I made a point of indicating that, disappointingly, the study made no attempt to identify the ideological demography of the participants.
    I'll tell you. He doesn't care.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    9,507
    Thanks
    2503

    From
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    Excuse me?
    Mr. Czernobog,

    Liberals control the public educations system. People publicly educated are dumb as box of rocks.

  9. #9
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    59,972
    Thanks
    32194

    From
    in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallie Knoetze View Post
    Mr. Czernobog,

    Liberals control the public educations system. People publicly educated are dumb as box of rocks.
    That's nonsense. The public education system is based on state governments, which are in the hands of conservatives. The Common Core, for example, is a creation of the National Governors Association, which has been dominated by Republicans for a couple of decades.

    I was publicly educated K-12 and it didn't stop me from succeeding at a private college or an Ivy League grad school.

    Public schools in wealthy areas are just fine. It's poverty and disorganized families, not faulty ideas in curriculum, that create educational problems in our country.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    9,507
    Thanks
    2503

    From
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    I'm wondering how Knoetze was able to make any ideological determination from the study in the OP. I made a point of indicating that, disappointingly, the study made no attempt to identify the ideological demography of the participants.
    Mr. Czernobog,

    You are just the cutest thing. You can't counter what I said directly, so you go off and debate someone that agrees with you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 2nd March 2017, 08:21 AM
  2. Numbers Do Not Lie
    By MaryAnne in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 18th February 2015, 07:16 AM
  3. Romney job numbers (he's a numbers guy, right?)
    By Blueneck in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 9th September 2012, 07:14 AM
  4. Look at those numbers!
    By Mr. Neo-Con in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 10th December 2010, 07:21 AM
  5. Are We Getting Our Numbers Right
    By michaelr in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 8th September 2007, 08:55 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed