Members banned from this thread: Otto Throttle


Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 121
Thanks Tree124Thanks

Thread: Only 26% of Americans can name three branches of government

  1. #11
    Veteran Member HenryPorter's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19,540
    Thanks
    10147

    From
    N48 51.489 E2 17.67119
    Quote Originally Posted by Macduff View Post
    I don’t know that there’s anything to add to what Jay Cost said: “We have squandered the greatest civic legacy in the history of the world.”
    There are various gruesome numbers in this Annenberg survey of Americans’ constitutional literacy but none top the data below, touching on a subject that’s typically covered on day one of second grade. I’m titling this graph, “I Wish I Was Dead.”

    That’s nearly three-quarters of the American population that can’t cough up “legislative, executive, judicial” on demand and fully 60 percent that can’t name *more than one* of those. I wish Annenberg had listed which branch was the one most commonly named. I’d bet it was the executive. We’ve had two mega-watt celebrity presidents in a row and a “cult of the presidency” encouraging executive power at the expense of the legislature for decades. Imagine how surprised some Americans must be to realize that the president’s technically not in charge of the entire government.

    https://hotair.com/archives/2017/09/...es-government/
    Easy question, the NRA, the NRA and the NRA. Amirite.
    Thanks from Blues63

  2. #12
    Veteran Member Pragmatist's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    46,052
    Thanks
    13391

    Quote Originally Posted by Macduff View Post
    I don’t know that there’s anything to add to what Jay Cost said: “We have squandered the greatest civic legacy in the history of the world.”
    There are various gruesome numbers in this Annenberg survey of Americans’ constitutional literacy but none top the data below, touching on a subject that’s typically covered on day one of second grade. I’m titling this graph, “I Wish I Was Dead.”

    That’s nearly three-quarters of the American population that can’t cough up “legislative, executive, judicial” on demand and fully 60 percent that can’t name *more than one* of those. I wish Annenberg had listed which branch was the one most commonly named. I’d bet it was the executive. We’ve had two mega-watt celebrity presidents in a row and a “cult of the presidency” encouraging executive power at the expense of the legislature for decades. Imagine how surprised some Americans must be to realize that the president’s technically not in charge of the entire government.

    https://hotair.com/archives/2017/09/...es-government/
    Come conduct the poll in a liberal state and you will get much better results.

  3. #13
    Burn it down Macduff's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    82,548
    Thanks
    21776

    From
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
    Come conduct the poll in a liberal state and you will get much better results.
    Reading is fundamental.
    Many Americans are poorly informed about basic constitutional provisions, according to a new national survey by the Annenberg Public Policy Center.

  4. #14
    Veteran Member DebateDrone's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    31,258
    Thanks
    26436

    From
    SWUSA
    There are two branches of government. The Democrats and the repuplicans.
    Thanks from MaryAnne

  5. #15
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    53,875
    Thanks
    19114

    From
    america
    Quote Originally Posted by Macduff View Post
    This is polling, not a late night comedy show bit with man on the street interviews. They count all the responses.
    Fair enough.

    But, I already knew that the average American citizen was fucking ignorant.

    Most of our fellow citizens can't fucking find the Mississippi River on a map....have no idea where Wyoming is located, and, don't know how many nations are on our northern and southern borders.

    The average human being is a herd animal.....

  6. #16
    Veteran Member Pragmatist's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    46,052
    Thanks
    13391

    Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
    Fair enough.

    But, I already knew that the average American citizen was fucking ignorant.

    Most of our fellow citizens can't fucking find the Mississippi River on a map....have no idea where Wyoming is located, and, don't know how many nations are on our northern and southern borders.

    The average human being is a herd animal.....
    you must be living in a conservative state. A lot of stupid people in em
    Thanks from Friday13

  7. #17
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    53,875
    Thanks
    19114

    From
    america
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
    you must be living in a conservative state. A lot of stupid people in em
    True.

    I live in a blue City, though.

    But, unlike some, I enough intellect to step outside my own, incredibly narrow, stereotypical generalizations on such matters.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    10,165
    Thanks
    2649

    From
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by Macduff View Post
    I don’t know that there’s anything to add to what Jay Cost said: “We have squandered the greatest civic legacy in the history of the world.”
    There are various gruesome numbers in this Annenberg survey of Americans’ constitutional literacy but none top the data below, touching on a subject that’s typically covered on day one of second grade. I’m titling this graph, “I Wish I Was Dead.”

    That’s nearly three-quarters of the American population that can’t cough up “legislative, executive, judicial” on demand and fully 60 percent that can’t name *more than one* of those. I wish Annenberg had listed which branch was the one most commonly named. I’d bet it was the executive. We’ve had two mega-watt celebrity presidents in a row and a “cult of the presidency” encouraging executive power at the expense of the legislature for decades. Imagine how surprised some Americans must be to realize that the president’s technically not in charge of the entire government.

    https://hotair.com/archives/2017/09/...es-government/
    Mr. MacDuff,

    Jeez, everybody should know they are the "Nina," the "Pinta," and the "Santa Maria."

    Are people really that stupid?
    Thanks from Tedminator

  9. #19
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    20,597
    Thanks
    5589

    From
    midwest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
    Fair enough.

    But, I already knew that the average American citizen was fucking ignorant.

    Most of our fellow citizens can't fucking find the Mississippi River on a map....have no idea where Wyoming is located, and, don't know how many nations are on our northern and southern borders.

    The average human being is a herd animal.....
    The majority cannot name either of their two U.S. Senators.

    Or the Vice Prez.

    They are uninformed, and they don't care that they are uninformed.
    Thanks from Wonderer

  10. #20
    Veteran Member Chief's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    25,839
    Thanks
    6469

    From
    Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by Macduff View Post
    Personally, I'm less worried about people who don't vote than I am of people without even a basic understanding of how the government works voting.
    We cannot have a good government when that is the basis of our voting public.
    Yes, for sure. I think we need to take a look at the dumbing down of our education.
    Thanks from bajisima

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Nearly 1 in 2 Americans say government is 'immediate threat'
    By meridian5455 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24th September 2015, 06:38 AM
  2. Americans Name Government as No. 1 U.S. Problem
    By Donald Polish in forum Current Events
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12th March 2015, 05:12 PM
  3. 4 Americans get pot from US government
    By freecell in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28th September 2011, 07:14 AM
  4. Sen. Schumer on the Three Branches of Government
    By Granite in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 31st January 2011, 06:09 PM
  5. Poll: Americans Split on What to Cut from Government
    By Granite in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15th January 2011, 06:31 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed