Members banned from this thread: CEngelbrecht


Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 676
Thanks Tree248Thanks

Thread: Gun Control - Suggestions from Right-Wing Members

  1. #11
    Telecastin' Blues63's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    6,123
    Thanks
    4025

    From
    Brisbane, Australia
    Why bring up gun control yet again? It is clear that no-one cares about how many people die, just so they can have their toys.

    I thought 26 children dying at Sandy Hook would wake the national conscience, but it didn't. 58 dead at a Country Music Festival won't change a thing. A dialogue on the subject is futile.
    Thanks from Babba, OldGaffer, Leo2 and 2 others

  2. #12
    Veteran Member Moorhuhn Wanted Champion Hollywood's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    65,073
    Thanks
    30479

    From
    Memphis, Tn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronwyn View Post
    There's no way you can take away guns from Americans. Even the law abiding ones.
    I agree with gun safety training, but that is not going to stop criminals.
    Criminals do not care about laws.
    Did you read the OP or not?
    Did you understand it or not?
    Thanks from MaryAnne and knight

  3. #13
    "Mr. Original". the watchman's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    74,626
    Thanks
    38230

    From
    becoming more and more
    if I'm understanding the reporting, there were 18+ guns found in the room where the shooting took place. Now, the Las Vegas law enforcement is saying they retrieved an additional 18+ firearms.

    What the actual fuck?

  4. #14
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    49,296
    Thanks
    23261

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronwyn View Post
    Criminals do not care about laws.
    One who does not care much about one law does not, ipso facto, therefore not care about any laws. Your statement makes no sense.
    Thanks from KnotaFrayed, Leo2 and knight

  5. #15
    Council Member Djinn's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    41,596
    Thanks
    26342

    From
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Its almost impossible to prevent these actions at this point.

    Just too many weapons in circulation out there for banning to ever work.

    About the only thing we could do is increase the punishment for using guns, that may prevent some of them.

    The main problem is that these guys don't care about the law so nothing we do legally is doubtful to have any effect on them.
    Again - I'm not asking for cure-all solutions.

    If you think that one of your ideas stands a real chance of reducing gun violence by just 10%, say so.

    By the same token, if you think it is completely impossible to mitigate gun violence to any extent - you can say that too.
    Last edited by Djinn; 2nd October 2017 at 02:22 PM.

  6. #16
    the "good" prag pragmatic's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    28,084
    Thanks
    16999

    From
    between Moon and NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
    It's obvious that conservatives aren't hot on gun control. Whether it's keeping them out of the hands of the mentally unstable, or putting limits on clip sizes, or basic gun registration, conservatives are largely united against them.

    Therefore, I invite them to propose ideas that will mitigate gun violence in our country. I'm not asking for ideas that will "solve" the problem 100%. I'm not looking for ideas that would have specifically have prevented the recent tragedy in Las Vegas. I'm just looking for general conservative-friendly ideas that will help - even a little.

    I'm respectfully asking left-wingers to refrain from dismissive jabs and insults. I've kept this OP free of them, and I'm trying to make this a sincere, open invitation.

    As a conservative, what suggestions do you endorse that could mitigate the problem of gun violence in the United States?
    Have a two part counter question for those Left leaning members.

    1. What new gun regulations are missing from the current laws?

    2. Which of these new regulations being proposed would have had an impact in preventing/mitigating the event that just happened in Las Vegas??

  7. #17
    Council Member Djinn's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    41,596
    Thanks
    26342

    From
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    Have a two part counter question for those Left leaning members.

    1. What new gun regulations are missing from the current laws?

    2. Which of these new regulations being proposed would have had an impact in preventing/mitigating the event that just happened in Las Vegas??
    1a) Registry and inspection. Require all gun owners to register their guns, and submit them for inspection once every five years. The inspection should not take more than ten minutes per firearm.

    1b) Require gun manufacturers to stamp multiple microprint identifiers on the interior and exterior surfaces of all newly-manufactured guns. This would make it easier to track the movement of guns into and through the black market.

    2) Neither. Mass shootings account for roughly 2% of gunshot victims. I'm focusing on the other 98%.
    Thanks from pragmatic, MaryAnne and HadEnough2

  8. #18
    the "good" prag pragmatic's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    28,084
    Thanks
    16999

    From
    between Moon and NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
    1a) Registry and inspection. Require all gun owners to register their guns, and submit them for inspection once every five years. The inspection should not take more than ten minutes per firearm.

    1b) Require gun manufacturers to stamp multiple microprint identifiers on the interior and exterior surfaces of all newly-manufactured guns. This would make it easier to track the movement of guns into and through the black market.

    2) Neither. Mass shootings account for roughly 2% of gunshot victims. I'm focusing on the other 98%.

    Don't necessarily agree with all that. But do appreciate the thoughtful answer.
    Thanks from Djinn

  9. #19
    Veteran Member MaryAnne's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    43,768
    Thanks
    31217

    From
    Englewood,Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    Have a two part counter question for those Left leaning members.

    1. What new gun regulations are missing from the current laws?

    2. Which of these new regulations being proposed would have had an impact in preventing/mitigating the event that just happened in Las Vegas??
    This one?

    FACT CHECK: Did Congress Legalize Gun Purchases for People With Mental Impairments?

    Las Vegas shooting: Trump halted bill on gun control for mentally ill | World | News | Express.co.uk

    Keep in mind,djinn, I am answering a question. Obama had signed the original. It was quietly repealed by Trump. Should be reinstated. My offering.

  10. #20
    Veteran Member MaryAnne's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    43,768
    Thanks
    31217

    From
    Englewood,Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    Don't necessarily agree with all that. But do appreciate the thoughtful answer.
    Why do you not agree? Those are common sense suggestions in this day and age. Not hard at all.

Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 113
    Last Post: 30th August 2017, 04:17 PM
  2. Replies: 69
    Last Post: 29th September 2016, 06:58 AM
  3. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 14th March 2016, 03:44 PM
  4. Replies: 118
    Last Post: 17th May 2013, 02:08 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16th April 2013, 03:08 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed