Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 68
Thanks Tree32Thanks

Thread: America's Gun Fantasy

  1. #21
    Veteran Member cpicturetaker12's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    21,865
    Thanks
    16213

    From
    Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Havelock View Post
    America's Gun Fantasy

    I haven't seen this article referenced yet in any other thread. I thought it was interesting. The take home message is that no more than three percent of our fellow citizens owns fully half the nation's firearms. And to listen to their rhetoric, it appears as if the main reason these folks want to possess so many firearms is that they see having them as a means to prepare for an ultraviolent showdown with "the government" -- a showdown that can only be wholly imaginary and that in real life they could never win. Meanwhile, the overall percentage of Americans who own and use guns for recreation or personal protection continues to decline. So it seems as if the advocates of more or less unlimited gun rights are fighting a battle they're destined to lose. If that's the case, some kind of compromise would appear to be the smart political play, eh?

    Cheers.
    I've actually known this for a lot of years. Remember the NRA isn't a representative of GUN OWNERS, they are lobbyist for the arms maker for our Defense Dept AND the billions $$ for those shipped around the world.

    https://www.theatlantic.com/business...ak-for/266373/
    Thanks from Dragonfly5

  2. #22
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    40,363
    Thanks
    31367

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennyson View Post
    Fourteen million firearms registered in the year 2010 and twenty-seven million registered in 2016.
    Mmmm, 3% of gun owners have over 50% of the guns in the US.

    A new survey of gun ownership in America found the percentage of Americans who own guns has decreased, even as Americans buy more guns.

    Nearly Half Of Guns In U.S. Owned By 3 Percent Of Population, Study Finds : NPR

    So it does beg the question - why? Like the LV shooter, why do you NEED 50 guns?

  3. #23
    Vexatious Correspondent Leo2's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,321
    Thanks
    2897

    From
    UK/Australia
    This one of the best comments on American gun ownership I have heard.

    Thanks from Devil505 and Havelock

  4. #24
    Vexatious Correspondent Leo2's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,321
    Thanks
    2897

    From
    UK/Australia
    More of the same from an Aussie.

    Thanks from Devil505 and Havelock

  5. #25
    Telecastin' Blues63's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    6,123
    Thanks
    4025

    From
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks from Paris

  6. #26
    A Character Tennyson's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,326
    Thanks
    275

    From
    Barsoom
    Quote Originally Posted by HayJenn View Post
    Mmmm, 3% of gun owners have over 50% of the guns in the US.

    A new survey of gun ownership in America found the percentage of Americans who own guns has decreased, even as Americans buy more guns.

    Nearly Half Of Guns In U.S. Owned By 3 Percent Of Population, Study Finds : NPR

    So it does beg the question - why? Like the LV shooter, why do you NEED 50 guns?
    The “3% of gun owners have over 50% of the guns in the US” is not a legitimate statistic as I noted:

    These biased and inaccurate surveys are internet surveys that pay opt-in internet users to answer questions. These Internet surveys are limited to internet users and those willing to take a poll. Equally as inaccurate are the in-person surveys because very few people would tell a person who contacted them the truth about their guns. The actual data, who is buying guns, who owns guns, concealed carry permits, etc. all contradict these gun control slanted surveys.
    Also, the survey was not a proper random sample that would give it legitimacy. The demographics regarding gun ownership has dramatic swings between parts of a state, state to state, and regions of the U.S. This alone makes the survey illegitimate.

    Even hard data contradicts the survey’s conclusion you mentioned. The concealed carry data contradicts the 3% misrepresentation. An individual only needs one conceal carry permit; not one for each gun. The national concealed carry permits increased from 1999 to 2016. This does not equate to multiple gun purchases. The data from the states that require identification cards shows a dramatic increase from 2010 to 2016. An example is Illinois’ Firearm Owner Identification Card that evidenced a doubling of the card applications in five years. This does not equate to multiple gun purchases by a few individuals.
    Every other survey came to the opposite conclusion.

    There is no current method of determining the percentage of guns owned by what percentage of people for several reasons: the National Instant Criminal Background Check System has to destroy the background request’s personal information within twenty-four hours per the Brady Act of 1993, the National Instant Criminal Background Check System does not have information regarding private gun sales, which is a number that anti-gun liberals fabricate at their convenience. When pressing for all private sales to be registered, then anti-gun league has used numbers ranging from 80% to 40% of all gun sales are private, which is mathematically impossible considering the National Instant Criminal Background Check System data and the estimated number of guns in the U.S. The actual number is around 20%, which is large enough to negate any attempt at determining what percentage of people own what percentage of guns.
    Thanks from Libertine

  7. #27
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    40,363
    Thanks
    31367

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennyson View Post
    The “3% of gun owners have over 50% of the guns in the US” is not a legitimate statistic as I noted:

    These biased and inaccurate surveys are internet surveys that pay opt-in internet users to answer questions. These Internet surveys are limited to internet users and those willing to take a poll. Equally as inaccurate are the in-person surveys because very few people would tell a person who contacted them the truth about their guns. The actual data, who is buying guns, who owns guns, concealed carry permits, etc. all contradict these gun control slanted surveys.
    Also, the survey was not a proper random sample that would give it legitimacy. The demographics regarding gun ownership has dramatic swings between parts of a state, state to state, and regions of the U.S. This alone makes the survey illegitimate.

    Even hard data contradicts the survey’s conclusion you mentioned. The concealed carry data contradicts the 3% misrepresentation. An individual only needs one conceal carry permit; not one for each gun. The national concealed carry permits increased from 1999 to 2016. This does not equate to multiple gun purchases. The data from the states that require identification cards shows a dramatic increase from 2010 to 2016. An example is Illinois’ Firearm Owner Identification Card that evidenced a doubling of the card applications in five years. This does not equate to multiple gun purchases by a few individuals.
    Every other survey came to the opposite conclusion.

    There is no current method of determining the percentage of guns owned by what percentage of people for several reasons: the National Instant Criminal Background Check System has to destroy the background request’s personal information within twenty-four hours per the Brady Act of 1993, the National Instant Criminal Background Check System does not have information regarding private gun sales, which is a number that anti-gun liberals fabricate at their convenience. When pressing for all private sales to be registered, then anti-gun league has used numbers ranging from 80% to 40% of all gun sales are private, which is mathematically impossible considering the National Instant Criminal Background Check System data and the estimated number of guns in the U.S. The actual number is around 20%, which is large enough to negate any attempt at determining what percentage of people own what percentage of guns.
    Mmm - I'm not talking about a "survey", I'm talking about researchers at Harvard and Northeastern universities

    Maybe take the time to actually click on the links provide for you in the future?

  8. #28
    Established Member
    Joined
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    7,695
    Thanks
    1318

    From
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cpicturetaker12 View Post
    I've actually known this for a lot of years. Remember the NRA isn't a representative of GUN OWNERS, they are lobbyist for the arms maker for our Defense Dept AND the billions $$ for those shipped around the world.

    https://www.theatlantic.com/business...ak-for/266373/
    From your cite:

    According to its public tax returns, the group raked in $228 million worth of revenue in 2010. That included about $106 million from membership dues and fees alone, along with about $18 million from educational services. It made another $20.9 million by selling advertising in its publications, such as American Rifleman and American Hunter, largely to gun companies looking to market their gear (despite all those ad buys, the titles still appear to run at a loss).

  9. #29
    Established Member
    Joined
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    7,695
    Thanks
    1318

    From
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HayJenn View Post
    Mmm - I'm not talking about a "survey", I'm talking about researchers at Harvard and Northeastern universities

    Maybe take the time to actually click on the links provide for you in the future?
    No links to a published study were provided.

  10. #30
    Established Member
    Joined
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    7,695
    Thanks
    1318

    From
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HayJenn View Post
    Mmmm, 3% of gun owners have over 50% of the guns in the US.

    A new survey of gun ownership in America found the percentage of Americans who own guns has decreased, even as Americans buy more guns.

    Nearly Half Of Guns In U.S. Owned By 3 Percent Of Population, Study Finds : NPR

    So it does beg the question - why? Like the LV shooter, why do you NEED 50 guns?
    That sounds like hearsay and opinion, not statistical fact.

    NPR's Robert Siegel talks to Lois Beckett, who covers gun policy and politics for The Guardian, about the Harvard-Northeastern University survey.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The GOP’s Will to Fantasy
    By Cicero in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17th August 2012, 11:31 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18th January 2007, 10:55 AM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed