Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 114
Thanks Tree80Thanks

Thread: What Do You Consider Extreme Left Wing Policies?

  1. #11
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    31,613
    Thanks
    29484

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    Those are extreme views. I can't argue with that. I'm certain most lefties don't feel that way, but those are extremes.
    Allowing women to have abortions is not an extremist viewpoint. Late term abortions are undertaken in response to medical emergencies that threaten the life of the expectant mother. The desire to outlaw abortion is an extremist viewpoint.

    "Not wanting to do anything about illegal immigration" is not a valid representation of any political ideology, left or right. It is merely a whine.

  2. #12
    formally known as mtm1963
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    30,008
    Thanks
    21

    From
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    Those are extreme views. I can't argue with that. I'm certain most lefties don't feel that way, but those are extremes.
    I think it's more wide spread then you believe

  3. #13
    formally known as mtm1963
    Joined
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    30,008
    Thanks
    21

    From
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by NightSwimmer View Post
    Allowing women to have abortions is not an extremist viewpoint. Late term abortions are undertaken in response to medical emergencies that threaten the life of the expectant mother. The desire to outlaw abortion is an extremist viewpoint.

    "Not wanting to do anything about illegal immigration" is not a valid representation of any political ideology, left or right. It is merely a whine.
    There are those people want that option irregardless of any medical conditions

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    1,553
    Thanks
    703

    From
    Maryland USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasselas View Post
    We're Americans. We can move. I'm from Pittsburgh--you know how many people left my hometown for jobs and lives elsewhere when the steel industry collapsed?
    Yep, Steeler fans seem to be everywhere.

  5. #15
    Cat-tastic Babba's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    64,290
    Thanks
    44847

    From
    So. Md.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberthughey View Post
    There are those people want that option irregardless of any medical conditions
    I suppose there have been women in history who decided in their 8th month of pregnancy that they just don't want to have the baby and would want an abortion on a whim, but that certainly wouldn't happen very often. And it would be difficult to find a medical professional who would end the pregnancy. Banning late term abortions completely is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Women don't decide at the last minute to have abortions. And doctors don't provide that service without good, solid medical reasons.
    Thanks from Dangermouse, Pragmatist and Friday13

  6. #16
    Spock of Vulcan Ian Jeffrey's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    49,296
    Thanks
    23261

    From
    Vulcan
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasselas View Post
    We're Americans. We can move. I'm from Pittsburgh--you know how many people left my hometown for jobs and lives elsewhere when the steel industry collapsed?
    If you can afford to move in the first place. I'm just saying that 150 miles is sufficiently distant that the idea is not an extreme left-wing policy. "Extreme" might be if, say, you could not find a job within walking distance.
    Thanks from Friday13

  7. #17
    Thought Provocateur NightSwimmer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    31,613
    Thanks
    29484

    From
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by roberthughey View Post
    There are those people want that option irregardless of any medical conditions
    There are people who want to place gerbils into their rectums, but that in no way implies that they are therefore "leftists".
    Thanks from Dangermouse

  8. #18
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    14,083
    Thanks
    3770

    From
    AK
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    Just curious about members ideas on this.
    It's difficult to identify specific policies that are considered extreme left wing, because the extreme left wing does not usually promote and advance actual specific policies. They more typically have general principles that influence their rhetoric. Same is true for the extreme right wing.

    I think the general principles involve a desire to eradicate the concept of private property, the blanket characterization of all private sector enterprises as inherently corrupt, greedy and evil, the notion that private sector enterprises have social responsibilities to be empathic and communistic, the notion that a fluid "social contract" should supersede actual binding contracts when convenient for the state to declare so, and the vague policy stance that we should pass some sort of law that simply causes the rich to be less rich and then directly distributes that money to those who are poor.
    Thanks from publius3

  9. #19
    Member
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    3,427
    Thanks
    982

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Jeffrey View Post
    If you can afford to move in the first place. I'm just saying that 150 miles is sufficiently distant that the idea is not an extreme left-wing policy. "Extreme" might be if, say, you could not find a job within walking distance.
    For most short term state based UI, you needn't take a job in a materially different location. I lost an administrative hearing where an employee quit for 'good cause attributable to the work' and he was transferred from a location closing in Teaneck to Paterson, which really isn't altogether that far, per se. So, I thought I had an unreasonable rejection to work. If the transfer had been, to say, Phillipsburg, I wouldn't have objected to the UI claim at all.

    Of course if the 150mi rule were the rule, an upstanding citizen of North Jersey wouldn't be able to object to employment in stinky Central Jersey, like, say, New Brunswick.....of course that would be clearly unconscionable. :-) (j/k, Ian)
    Last edited by publius3; 11th October 2017 at 09:09 AM.
    Thanks from Ian Jeffrey

  10. #20
    Member
    Joined
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    3,427
    Thanks
    982

    From
    TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    Just curious about members ideas on this.
    Total taxation exceeding 50% of income.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 12th October 2017, 01:03 PM
  2. Adolf Hitler - extreme left winged socialist
    By Rob Larrikin in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 674
    Last Post: 28th September 2017, 11:39 PM
  3. Extreme Rightwing Policies Sweeping The South
    By ARMCX1 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 17th January 2014, 06:03 AM
  4. Replies: 118
    Last Post: 17th May 2013, 02:08 AM
  5. Ron Paul's extreme domestic policies would impoverish many
    By Buddha86 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 23rd November 2007, 06:17 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed