Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 61
Thanks Tree82Thanks

Thread: Why Is Trump Destroying the State Department?

  1. #51
    Veteran Member bmanmcfly's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    13,817
    Thanks
    2293

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister B View Post
    lol...that's a question we ask ourselves ever day...
    Trump is a builder, he sees himself on a renovation project.

    When you start a renovation you have to rip out all the rotten stuff before you can repair and rebuild.

  2. #52
    Moderator HayJenn's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    42,040
    Thanks
    32521

    From
    CA
    Quote Originally Posted by bmanmcfly View Post
    Trump is a builder, he sees himself on a renovation project.

    When you start a renovation you have to rip out all the rotten stuff before you can repair and rebuild.
    Yea, no

    How Trump Learned to Love the Swamp
    A year after the election heís still campaigning as a populist, but heís governing for the big interests he ran against.


    https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...eversal-215808

    Not to mention having a decimated state department is NOT good for our national relations with other countries and cooperation with national security matters.
    Thanks from Babba

  3. #53
    Veteran Member Eve1's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    14,120
    Thanks
    9306

    From
    My own world
    Trump hasnít been a builder president. Heís been a demolition man. He is a leader who finds it easier to sabotage existing programs and alliances than to create new ones. Many of the positive achievements he campaigned on are log-jammed. The border wall remains a distant promise, not a near-term reality. Not only is Mexico not going to pay for it, but Trump hasnít even been able to get Congress to cough up the necessary money. The grand infrastructure bill that Steve Bannon, chief ideologue of Trumpism, saw as central to creating a permanent political realignment is nowhere to be seen. (Heís expected to unveil his plan this week, one Democrats are almost certain to resist.) A version of healthcare reform passed the House of Representatives, but it was radically at odds with Trumpís campaign pledge that Americans wouldnít lose coverage. Moreover, this version of Trumpcare is unlikely to pass in its current form, or indeed in any form, in the Senate. Trumpís attempts to impose a de facto version of his Muslim ban via executive order have been quashed by the courts. The one positive achievement Trump can point to is the successful confirmation of Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch, a staunch conservative in the mold of Antonin Scaliaóbut this is something Jeb Bush or Marco Rubio wouldíve done if they had been the president, so itís hardly a signature victory for Trump.

    This is not to say that Trumpís first few months in power have been insignificant. Rather, theyíve been marked by what he has not done, and what he has damaged, rather than what he has created. His decision to pull out of the Paris climate agreement is the latest in a string of acts that donít build, but negate. Other examples include his abandoning of the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade agreement and refusing to clearly say he stands by Article Five, the mutual defense clause of the NATO treaty, thereby engendering a crisis with the Western alliance. Meanwhile, Trump has found that he can effectively hamstring agencies simply by not filling positions. This includes, not only health and environmental agencies, but also the State Department and the Centers for Disease Control. Trump has also failed to put forward 442 nominees for the 559 key positions that require Senate confirmation. He himself claims that not filling these jobs is a deliberate strategy on his part. ďA lot of those jobs, I donít want to appoint someone because theyíre unnecessary to have,Ē Trump told Fox News in February. ďIn government, we have too many people.Ē Finally, Trumpís constant threats to sabotage Obamacare have been turning into an effective self-fulfilling prophesy, with insurers using uncertainty as an excuse to hike rates.

    https://newrepublic.com/article/1430...-hes-destroyer

  4. #54
    Veteran Member bmanmcfly's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    13,817
    Thanks
    2293

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
    Quote Originally Posted by Eve1 View Post
    ut Trump hasnít been a builder president. Heís been a demolition man. He is a leader who finds it easier to sabotage existing programs and alliances than to create new ones. Many of the positive achievements he campaigned on are log-jammed. The border wall remains a distant promise, not a near-term reality. Not only is Mexico not going to pay for it, but Trump hasnít even been able to get Congress to cough up the necessary money. The grand infrastructure bill that Steve Bannon, chief ideologue of Trumpism, saw as central to creating a permanent political realignment is nowhere to be seen. (Heís expected to unveil his plan this week, one Democrats are almost certain to resist.) A version of healthcare reform passed the House of Representatives, but it was radically at odds with Trumpís campaign pledge that Americans wouldnít lose coverage. Moreover, this version of Trumpcare is unlikely to pass in its current form, or indeed in any form, in the Senate. Trumpís attempts to impose a de facto version of his Muslim ban via executive order have been quashed by the courts. The one positive achievement Trump can point to is the successful confirmation of Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch, a staunch conservative in the mold of Antonin Scaliaóbut this is something Jeb Bush or Marco Rubio wouldíve done if they had been the president, so itís hardly a signature victory for Trump.

    This is not to say that Trumpís first few months in power have been insignificant. Rather, theyíve been marked by what he has not done, and what he has damaged, rather than what he has created. His decision to pull out of the Paris climate agreement is the latest in a string of acts that donít build, but negate. Other examples include his abandoning of the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade agreement and refusing to clearly say he stands by Article Five, the mutual defense clause of the NATO treaty, thereby engendering a crisis with the Western alliance. Meanwhile, Trump has found that he can effectively hamstring agencies simply by not filling positions. This includes, not only health and environmental agencies, but also the State Department and the Centers for Disease Control. Trump has also failed to put forward 442 nominees for the 559 key positions that require Senate confirmation. He himself claims that not filling these jobs is a deliberate strategy on his part. ďA lot of those jobs, I donít want to appoint someone because theyíre unnecessary to have,Ē Trump told Fox News in February. ďIn government, we have too many people.Ē Finally, Trumpís constant threats to sabotage Obamacare have been turning into an effective self-fulfilling prophesy, with insurers using uncertainty as an excuse to hike rates.

    https://newrepublic.com/article/1430...-hes-destroyer
    Thanks for agreeing with me...

  5. #55
    Veteran Member HenryPorter's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    19,525
    Thanks
    10138

    From
    N48 51.489 E2 17.67119
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookycolt View Post
    Truth

    See, I can do one word responses with no content also.
    You got the no content part right anyway.

  6. #56
    Veteran Member Eve1's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    14,120
    Thanks
    9306

    From
    My own world
    Quote Originally Posted by bmanmcfly View Post
    Thanks for agreeing with me...
    Not even close.

  7. #57
    Veteran Member bmanmcfly's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    13,817
    Thanks
    2293

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
    Quote Originally Posted by Eve1 View Post
    Not even close.
    Sure you did, you just don't recognize it because you are blinded by irrational hatred.

  8. #58
    Veteran Member Eve1's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    14,120
    Thanks
    9306

    From
    My own world
    Quote Originally Posted by bmanmcfly View Post
    Sure you did, you just don't recognize it because you are blinded by irrational hatred.
    Don't project on to me what you feel, own it.
    Thanks from HayJenn

  9. #59
    Veteran Member bmanmcfly's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    13,817
    Thanks
    2293

    From
    C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
    Quote Originally Posted by Eve1 View Post
    Don't project on to me what you feel, own it.
    Projecting? What are you talking about?

    I've heard of people revising history, but revising current events takes chutzpah.

    Let's go for a refresher:

    Quote Originally Posted by bmanmcfly View Post
    Trump is a builder, he sees himself on a renovation project.

    When you start a renovation you have to rip out all the rotten stuff before you can repair and rebuild.
    Which you responded with :

    Quote Originally Posted by Eve1 View Post
    [B] Trump hasnít been a builder president. Heís been a demolition man. He is a leader who finds it easier to sabotage existing programs and alliances than to create new ones.
    Then you thought you were disagreeing with me...

  10. #60
    New Member Slartibartfast's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    67
    Thanks
    16

    From
    UK
    Government departments tend to fill up with thousands of non-jobs filled by useless people from previous useless presidents, such as Obama. Then the likes of Trump kicks them out and he's the bad guy? Go figure.

    We had warmongering Blair do the same, created thousands of useless jobs and the Tories had to cull them.

    All those useless wages adds to the national debt. America would cope by sacking half of it's public sector workers and reduce it's deficit.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 6th November 2017, 04:43 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 18th July 2017, 11:08 AM
  3. The State of Trump's State Department
    By HayJenn in forum Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st March 2017, 12:53 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 31st January 2017, 07:14 AM
  5. Replies: 138
    Last Post: 20th September 2016, 09:44 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed