Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 62
Thanks Tree92Thanks

Thread: Do political forums change hearts and minds?

  1. #41
    Veteran Member Dr.Knuckles's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    100,192
    Thanks
    7744

    From
    Vancouver
    It’s not so much changing your mind as being exposed to the reasons other people think the way they do.

    There’s countless times I’ve read your guys’ opinions or reactions and thought “man I never would have seen that that way”.

    Doesn’t mean I suddenly felt they were all right and I was all wrong. But I understood a new perspective.


    Obviously there’s mouth breathers trolling online who get all the attention. But there’s real people too.

  2. #42
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    30,477
    Thanks
    3872

    I used to have these really long debates with Vortex. She would say something I thought was outrageous like "Terrorists have rights too!" So we both wandered into Hamdan V Rumsfeld, the case about Osama's driver, whom W had classified as an enemy combatant. Vortex did not change my mind. I did not change hers, but I learned that Hamdan was not a terrorist according to the courts because he did not directly commit any war crimes. He may have carried bombs in the trunk but he didn't detonate any of them. Vortex had staying power and she forced me to be sharp and dig deeper. When we argued about Gay Marriage, she clearly knew more about the laws than I did, so I learned and found some older laws that backed my views at the time. So I never changed my opinion, but I did learn a lot.

    I find debating a law when a court decision is looming the most enjoyable thing we do around here. It is fascinating and there are a lot of smart people around here.

    But debating global warming is just head banging. Nobody will really know who's right for 50 years.
    Last edited by kmiller1610; 11th January 2018 at 01:56 AM.
    Thanks from Amelia and Wonderer

  3. #43
    Veteran Member MaryAnne's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    49,546
    Thanks
    35307

    From
    Englewood,Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Knuckles View Post
    It’s not so much changing your mind as being exposed to the reasons other people think the way they do.

    There’s countless times I’ve read your guys’ opinions or reactions and thought “man I never would have seen that that way”.

    Doesn’t mean I suddenly felt they were all right and I was all wrong. But I understood a new perspective.


    Obviously there’s mouth breathers trolling online who get all the attention. But there’s real people too.
    You just ignore the trollers and concentrate on the many well thought out posts.

    As one who had published close to 100 Letters To The Editor I just need to express my opinion. I guess you could say the net has replaced newspapers and turned many of us into frustrated Authors with strong opinions.
    Thanks from Wonderer

  4. #44
    Veteran Member MaryAnne's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    49,546
    Thanks
    35307

    From
    Englewood,Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by kmiller1610 View Post
    I used to have these really long debates with Vortex. She would say something I thought was outrageous like "Terrorists have rights too!" So we both wandered into Hamdan V Rumsfeld, the case about Osama's driver, whom W had classified as an enemy combatant. Vortex did not change my mind. I did not change hers, but I learned that Hamdan was not a terrorist according to the courts because he did not directly commit any war crimes. He may have carried bombs in the trunk but he didn't detonate any of them. Vortex had staying power and she forced me to be sharp and dig deeper. When we argued about Gay Marriage, she clearly knew more about the laws than I did, so I learned and found some older laws that backed my views at the time. So I never changed my opinion, but I did learn a lot.

    I find debating a law when a court decision is looming the most enjoyable thing we do around here. It is fascinating and there are a lot of smart people around here.

    But debating global warming is just head banging. Nobody will really know who's right for 50 years.
    Debating Global change does nothing. You need to do something about it in your daily lives, but most of us have young ones who will be severely affected. We are already seeing the damage.
    Thanks from namvet69

  5. #45
    Veteran Member EnigmaO01's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    17,978
    Thanks
    9904

    From
    Indiana
    Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    Seems we mostly argue in circles ... and seems we often draw our own lines deeper during the arguments.

    But in my case, political forums did cause a change in me. It started at another forum. There was a beleaguered Republican whom few accepted as a Republican because he supported unions. His name was Jake.

    He is the one who brought my attention to how Republican policies were hollowing out the middle class and leading to more working poor who needed government help in spite of holding full-time jobs. The Walmart model, where exploitative companies raked in the profits while their rank and file employees filed for food stamps.

    And he helped bring my attention to how, as Republican policies were helping to create more working poor, so-called fiscal conservatives were also trying to shrink the safety nets for these people whom they were helping to push into financial straits.



    Jake was a major factor in how I got past my scorn for Occupy Wall Street and became open to the messages of Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders.

    Do political forums change hearts and minds?

    Hell no!
    Thanks from namvet69

  6. #46
    Veteran Member MaryAnne's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    49,546
    Thanks
    35307

    From
    Englewood,Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    My change? Made me much more of a died in the wool Moderate Democrat. But one who has always believed in a hands up approach. Sooner,or later you do have to stand on your own. I despise those too lazy to help themselves.

    But Republicans are grifters as much as Democrats. They cheat while protesting that others do.

    I actually agree with this new Medicaid requirement for the able bodied to work.

    I will never be a poor me far lefter. But again I will never be a greedy, mine,Far righter.

  7. #47
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,629
    Thanks
    4831

    From
    Englewood, Fl
    I doubt it but I hope I'm wrong because some here have totally bought into the Trump fantasy. All you can do is try to show logical arguments and hope it has an effect. But it takes a special person to change one's views especially in matters of money and war&peace. I don't think it's futile all the way but I know it's pretty close. LOL

    Like the good doctor said, I have discovered new ways to look at many things. We have a whole lot of very smart folks on this wonderful forum. We fight like cats and dogs sometime but for the most part, we care about each other.

    Since my retirement, I've been restless because you can watch just so many movies or build so many bookcases and bird houses. This reminds me that there are important things going on in the world and it gets the creative juices flowing big time. Forces me to study so as to not sound like a total moron.

    But sometimes you feel the fool because you see some brilliant analysis on here and you wonder how you missed that. Let's me know I've got a home away from home so to speak and even if my views are not changing all that much, I'm learning new things every day. At my age that's important so I don't end up in a laughing academy. LOL
    Thanks from MaryAnne, Amelia and Leo2

  8. #48
    Banned Camp
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,629
    Thanks
    4831

    From
    Englewood, Fl
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnne View Post
    Debating Global change does nothing. You need to do something about it in your daily lives, but most of us have young ones who will be severely affected. We are already seeing the damage.
    Yeah, and it's really scary that Trump has undone so many advances that it took years and effort to accomplish.

  9. #49
    Member LT Greenbean's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2,822
    Thanks
    510

    From
    south area
    Quote Originally Posted by Babba View Post
    I'm not embarrassed to admit that mind my has been changed by someone on the right. I honestly cannot think of a time when I changed my mind about an issue because of an argument from someone on the right. If I could think of something I'd admit it freely. But I can't think of anything.
    It's just your bias. Your mind intentionally blocks instances where you've been corrected. In your mind, you're always right. Which is why you can't 'remember' any times your mind has been changed. You're now alone. There are millions like you.

  10. #50
    Nuisance Factor Yeti 8 Jungle Swing Champion, YetiSports 4 - Albatross Overload Champion, YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion boontito's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    94,519
    Thanks
    71798

    From
    <-- "Meme Boy"
    Quote Originally Posted by LT Greenbean View Post
    It's just your bias. Your mind intentionally blocks instances where you've been corrected. In your mind, you're always right. Which is why you can't 'remember' any times your mind has been changed. You're now alone. There are millions like you.
    Random psycho-babble analysis via text-only communication over the Internet has zero chance of being correct. You're just making stuff up to confirm what you want to believe.
    Thanks from PACE

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Obama loses German hearts and minds ahead of Berlin visit
    By meridian5455 in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 21st June 2013, 06:08 AM
  2. NATO data: Assad winning the war for Syrians’ hearts and minds
    By michaelr in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2nd June 2013, 07:10 AM
  3. How Politicians and the Media Change Our Minds
    By Octoldit in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12th July 2009, 06:53 PM
  4. Giuliani: Dems Will Change Minds on Iraq
    By Coolio in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 30th October 2007, 11:04 AM
  5. Winning hearts and minds
    By Fishscale in forum Political Discussion
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 7th May 2007, 06:18 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed