Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 54
Thanks Tree30Thanks

Thread: I have a stupid question...

  1. #41
    Chaos in fourteen lines Minotaur's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    20,217
    Thanks
    16312

    From
    USA
    Quote Originally Posted by splansing View Post
    If you take a pot of water and turn the heat on, the water, which was moving slowly around in the pot, is going to move more energetically. That's what heat is. It's just energy. We're trapping energy in our "pot of water", which is all the atmosphere really is. As it gets warmer, it moves around more energetically. But it is most definitely getting warmer, overall, as you say. That's the whole point.

    Changing it from global warming was entirely unnecessary. It was done to try to clarify things for people who seemed to be having a hard time understanding how global warming was actually going to play out (not just everything getting noticeably hotter all the time, everywhere). Instead, people who willfully deny it because it doesn't suit their economics, and their adherents, took it as an indication that something about it had changed, that it was therefore a weak premise.

    This is why the Enlightenment was such a victory for humanity. For a time, to a degree, at least, people actually understood the power and the value of honest critical thinking. Look what was accomplished!

    Now? Back to the Dark Ages we go. It's so ODD, isn't it? I never would have thought it possible, but I guess I was young and naive.
    Hopefully the advances in understanding will not disappear due to heads in the sand. At this point it is impossible to deny if they take time to read up on it or step outside. I am guessing that some still think climate change is only about warm weather rather than all extreme weather and the results, like rising sea levels. Good post Splansing. Well done. I gave the poster a link I like that you may find interesting too: https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
    Thanks from Friday13

  2. #42
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35,477
    Thanks
    17702

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
    Hopefully the advances in understanding will not disappear due to heads in the sand. At this point it is impossible to deny if they take time to read up on it or step outside. I am guessing that some still think climate change is only about warm weather rather than all extreme weather and the results, like rising sea levels. Good post Splansing. Well done. I gave the poster a link I like that you may find interesting too: https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/
    I generally try to keep up with what's going on with the climate change issue here: https://insideclimatenews.org/
    Thanks from Minotaur

  3. #43
    Chaos in fourteen lines Minotaur's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    20,217
    Thanks
    16312

    From
    USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    I generally try to keep up with what's going on with the climate change issue here: https://insideclimatenews.org/
    From your link:

    "New research shows that some northern regions have been getting hit with these extreme cold spells more frequently over the past four decades, even as the planet as a whole has warmed. While it may seem counterintuitive, the scientists believe these bitter cold snaps are connected to the warming of the Arctic and the effects that that warming is having on the winds of the stratospheric polar vortex, high above the Earth's surface."

    Pretty serious stuff. Kind of explains my point about it not just being about warm weather. Your link seems to mirror my link. Interesting article.

    https://insideclimatenews.org/news/2...climate-change
    Thanks from Czernobog

  4. #44
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35,477
    Thanks
    17702

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
    From your link:

    "New research shows that some northern regions have been getting hit with these extreme cold spells more frequently over the past four decades, even as the planet as a whole has warmed. While it may seem counterintuitive, the scientists believe these bitter cold snaps are connected to the warming of the Arctic and the effects that that warming is having on the winds of the stratospheric polar vortex, high above the Earth's surface."

    Pretty serious stuff. Kind of explains my point about it not just being about warm weather. Your link seems to mirror my link. Interesting article.

    https://insideclimatenews.org/news/2...climate-change
    There's a fascinating story tat talks about how, even while the Eastern US is being crippled under unheard of freezes, Alaska is actually suffering a warming trend that is actually causing dangerous pitfalls to people:

    https://www.npr.org/2018/01/05/57590...warm-in-alaska
    Thanks from Minotaur

  5. #45
    Member Robert Urbanek's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,284
    Thanks
    1387

    From
    Vacaville, CA
    Scientists originally should have coined the phrase global heating because global warming sounds too "warm and fuzzy." Furthermore, changing global warming to climate change seems like a euphemism, like calling violent youths "at-risk children."

  6. #46
    Veteran Member Czernobog's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    35,477
    Thanks
    17702

    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Urbanek View Post
    Scientists originally should have coined the phrase global heating because global warming sounds too "warm and fuzzy." Furthermore, changing global warming to climate change seems like a euphemism, like calling violent youths "at-risk children."
    Should we have called it "The Planet is Plotting To Kill You"? Would that have been alarming enough to get people's attention?

  7. #47
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    24,502
    Thanks
    6344

    From
    midwest
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Urbanek View Post
    Scientists originally should have coined the phrase global heating because global warming sounds too "warm and fuzzy." Furthermore, changing global warming to climate change seems like a euphemism, like calling violent youths "at-risk children."
    Or illegal aliens being called "undocumented immigrants".

  8. #48
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    30,334
    Thanks
    11022

    From
    on the river
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    Should we have called it "The Planet is Plotting To Kill You"? Would that have been alarming enough to get people's attention?
    The natural world is quite adept at killing humans.

  9. #49
    Chaos in fourteen lines Minotaur's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    20,217
    Thanks
    16312

    From
    USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Czernobog View Post
    There's a fascinating story tat talks about how, even while the Eastern US is being crippled under unheard of freezes, Alaska is actually suffering a warming trend that is actually causing dangerous pitfalls to people:

    https://www.npr.org/2018/01/05/57590...warm-in-alaska
    I heard something about that. Didn't know it was that bad. It is getting crazy. Don't know if you knew about this but here in Florida the ocean water has risen so high that it is creating underground streams that are feeding into the delicate Everglades fresh water system. The result will be ecologically catastrophic if they can't stop it. And this is even weirder they have what is called "sunny day flooding" as the tidal water gushes from street grates in the Miami area. This is all a little scary.


  10. #50
    Veteran Member
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    25,215
    Thanks
    4769

    Quote Originally Posted by webrockk View Post
    If a human fetus isn't human, what the fuck is it? a duck?
    A tumor worthy of destroying.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 15th May 2015, 10:29 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 13th October 2013, 06:33 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2nd October 2012, 06:54 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26th July 2012, 12:32 PM

Tags for this Thread


Facebook Twitter RSS Feed